Regional, U.S. & International News
Input Wanted for Richland B&O Trail Plan
Richland County, OH - "The Richland County Park District is in the process of creating a long-term, strategic plan for the B&O Trail and wants your input!
Please take our survey.
Cincy Getting E-Bikes
Cincinnati, OH - "...In early November, Cincinnati will get 10 electric-assist bicycles, part of a pilot through BCycle, the company that makes the bikes for Cincy’s Red Bike program." more...
Gravel Being Added to Kokosing Gap Trailhead
Burning Body Found in Park
Upper Arlington, OH - "Upper Arlington police on Monday identified the woman whose body was found burning Sunday near a walking trail in Burbank Park." more...
Trail Construction Blocked in Kentucky
Benham, KY - "...The delay has raised concern that the county could lose a $660,809 federal grant to develop the trail, which would involve upgrading more than five miles of an unused railroad bed..." more
City OKs People Trail Extension
Columbus, IN - "Columbus has entered into an agreement with a landscape architectural firm to design and construct an extension of the People Trail." more...
New U.S. Trails in 2018
"This summer, U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke announced 19 new National Recreation Trails in 17 states..." more
Fixing Badly Planned American Cities
"...from Jeff Speck’s Walkable City Rules, a step-by-step guide to fixing America’s cities and towns." more...
Missing Cyclist Found Alive
ESP - "When his wife hadn't heard from him for hours, she sent out an urgent tweet." more...
Bicyclists May Use Full Lane
UK - "Some motorists think roads were built for cars, and that people on bicycles are interlopers. Historically and legally, this is not the case..." more...
IMBA Looks to Shore Up Support
Reno, NV - "...IMBA’s total revenue plummeted from $6.7 million to $3.9 million between 2016 and 2017." more...
- WA: Should some streets only be for pedestrians?
- MO: Bird scooter blocking the sidewalk? There's an app for that
- NE: 13th Street road diet coming soon
- FRA: Can Paris Exist Sans Gasoline?
- GA: Pedicab ride in Savannah from new Lyft service
- NE: Trail Work Continuing in Beatrice
- OR: Police investigating suspicious death on bike trail
- OK: Council approves withdrawal of investment funds for biking trail
- TX: Austin waterways, Ann & Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail closed due to heavy rain
- IA: 10-year-old helps connect bike trails
- IN: Vanderburgh County road and trail project aims to connect city, county
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraising Nearing Goal
Urbana, OH - "...We are just $2,565 from reaching our $25,000 goal which will be matched dollar for dollar up to that amount by the Honda of America Foundation..." more
Rogue Group Riders Hogging the Road
"...I sought out an example to analyze that should resonate with those who are frustrated, disappointed or angry with group rides they encounter on the road." more...
Citi Bike Offers Group Rides
NYC - "...'It’s never been easier to ride with friends,' Citi Bike announced in a tweet on Monday." more...
SF's Scooter War is Over & the Scooters Won
San Francisco, CA - "Shared e-scooters have returned to the Bay Area. But is regulation enough to make them work in the long term?" more...
Mountain Biker Shot & Killed in France
FRA - "...another young hunter was sentenced to a year in jail for mistakenly shooting and killing a trail runner in the same region..." more
Over 5,000 Stolen Bikes Recovered thru Bike Index
"Milestones are important to us here at the Bike Index - we're suckers for nice big round numbers that define progress..." more
Remove Street Centerlines to Calm Traffic
"...Centerline removal introduces an element of uncertainty which is reflected in lower speeds..." more
- NJ: First Stage of Mohansic Trailway Completed
- NC: NC ranks among worst states for deadly car crashes
- OR: Portland tackles high-crash network, asks public for help
- UK: Banning cars in London
- OR: Cyclist has life-threatening injuries after collision on SE 82nd Ave
- WA: Bike Plan Gets Torched with Proposed Downtown Connection
- IRE: Why these Kerry farmers are opposed to a new greenway
- IL: New overpass reflects latest upgrade to ever-expanding Skokie Valley Trail
- VA: Rail trail connector construction continues
- VA: Arlington Named A 2018 Best Bike City In America
- IL: State awards $100K for mountain bike trail
Temporary Closures Along Mohican Valley Trail
Brinkhaven, OH - "...the Mohican Valley Multi-Use Trail from the Bridge of Dreams to the Holmes County Line will be closed or have periodic closures due to a parking lot renovation to provide handicap accessibility. The driveway to the Trail may also have periodic closures..." more
NCIT Progress in Huron County
Wakeman, OH - "...Next up: Volunteers want to place a connector trail between the bridge and the paved Wakeman East Bikeway.
A long-term project also just began. Group members started a dialogue with a design group to pave the path’s entire length in Huron County..." more
Volunteers Clear Area Around Heart of Ohio Trail
Mt. Liberty, OH - "...Venture Crew 382 group... cleared two large swaths around the Mt. Liberty Heart of Ohio Multi-Use Trail access area to allow for clear visibility of the children’s playground and improve safety of the area..." more
New Overseers Considered for Buffalo Valley Rail Trail
PA - "...DCNR is supportive of the plan to transfer and is working with the county on the process. The Buffalo Valley Rail Trail is a huge asset to the region..." more
Dangerous Sidewalks Causing Injuries
Indianapolis, IN - "Dangerous, uneven sidewalks are landing people in the hospital, and the city has a backlog of more than 1,600 requests all over Indianapolis." more...
Walking May Now Outweigh Transit Value
"...The emphasis these days is more on walkability than a direct rail or metro connection..." more
Milwaukee Embracing Bikes & Peds
WI - "...A pedestrian and bicycle friendly environment is great for retail and apartment development — it slows traffic down and enhances the vibrancy of the street..." more
Bicycling Magazine Is Dead Wrong About Seattle
Seattle, WA - "...The national nonprofit People For Bikes recently gave Seattle a 2.3 out of 5 for bicycle friendliness, putting 50 cities ahead of us..." more
- FL: South Florida police warn cyclists to stay in their lane
- WV: New Parkersburg-area trail designed for intermediate level bikers
- SC: New bike club wants to expand opportunities for riders
- IRE: Greenway leading to a promising future for Newcastle West
Corwin Peddler Reopens
Bicycling May Help You Avoid Parkinson's Disease
"Adding high levels of physical activity—moderate to vigorous—into your exercise routine can decrease the risk of Parkinson’s disease (PD), according to a new review of studies..." more
Hoy Calls for End to "Us vs. Them" Mentality Between Cyclists & Drivers
"...Most cyclists drive and vice versa. You have to try and put yourself in the shoes of the other person..." more
Tour De France Trophy Stolen
"...toward the end of last month, the Team Sky rider lent his trophy... to the Cycle Show, a three-day exhibition in Birmingham, U.K." more...
- ME: Franklin County builds on reputation as mountain bike destination
- WA: Ferry County Rail trail one step closer to completion
- NY: Bike trails open at McCauley Mountain Ski Area
- IRE: Council to seek funding for Tuam Greenway feasibility study
Temporary Closing for Scioto Trail Oct. 21
Columbus, OH - From centralohiogreenways.com, "Beginning Sunday, October 21, the Scioto Trail between Hocking Street and Battelle Riverfront Park will be closed from 7:00am – 8:00am [for the Columbus Marathon]."
SW OH Transportation Projects Receive Funding
Cincinnati, OH - "...southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky just received more than $40 million in federal funding, and more than three-quarters of that money will go toward enhancing the region's public transit, bicycle and pedestrian-oriented infrastructure." more...
Redeveloping an Iconic Trailside Structure
Warren County, OH - "The developers of the former Peters Cartridge Factory in Warren County received approval for a new injection of funds today." more...
Bike Lanes Spark Unnecessary Controversy
Detroit, MI - "...These new protected bike lanes have sparked no end of grumbling..." more
Can Cargo Bikes Help in a Disaster?
VA - "In an emergency response trial held here recently, bicyclists were able to transport 1,250 pounds of water and 1,100 pounds of food over difficult terrain, showing how the vehicles can be put to use when needed the most." more...
The Route for the Fort Worth to Dallas Trail
TX - "...The Regional Transportation Council this week approved the $40 million, 53-mile trail at its Thursday meeting, all but assuring the project will be open to the public by fall 2023." more...
- TX: City plots path forward on trail system
- CA: Police Search For Suspect Who Assaulted Woman On Bike Trail
- NC: Flooding forces another temporary closing of greenway
- TN: City approves greenway expansion bid
- NYC: No Funding or Timeline To Close East River Greenway Gaps
- OR: Mountain bike advocacy has taken a giant leap forward
'Book-a-Bike' Program gets a Trike
Gallipolis, OH - "...The library has had great success with the bicycle lending program. Therefore, we wanted to expand the program to meet the needs of patrons who have the need for a trike bike..." more
Pittsburgh Plans to Expand Bike Lanes
PA - "A lot has changed since Pittsburgh put out its first bike lane plan in 1999, and with new ideas for lanes throughout the city, officials are looking for your input." more...
Philly's Transportation Plan
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia released a transportation plan Wednesday that outlines the city's goals for street safety and transportation for the next seven years." more...
N. Michigan's 1st Flow Trail to Open Soon
Maple City, MI - "...The 3-mile looped trail at Palmer Woods Forest Reserve also marks a milestone as the Lower Peninsula’s first flow-style track north of Grand Rapids." more...
Setting the Rail Trail Connector Bridge
Elkins, WV - "...This two-mile section of the Elkins Rail Trail Connector project is the final piece connecting the current bike trail that runs into Parsons to its destination in downtown Elkins." more...
New Bike Trail Opens in Mountwood Park
Parkersburg, WV - "A new mountain bike trail was dedicated Thursday morning at Mountwood Park where officials hope it will complement the existing world-class paths." more...
Dallas Dreams Up a Multimodal Transportation Hub
TX - "We're talking bullet trains, DART, Amtrak, HyperLoop, and aerial taxis out of a single center." more...
LA - The Worst Bike City in America
CA - "...L.A. is letting the cars win." more...
While Seattle ranks as the best city.
- MD: Baltimore City to start final phase of downtown bike-lane construction
- D.C.: Red Line stops are dangerous for people walking and bicycling
- LA: How does the cost of New Orleans' bike share program stack up?
- OR: City installs plastic curbs to protect bikeway at I-5 freeway on-ramp
- OR: Two drivers arrested after a woman was killed while walking
- NY: City Commits $250M To Close Manhattan Greenway Gaps
- CA: Work on new bike trail is blocking eatery, Folsom business owner says
- MN: Paths are murky in search for answers on rails-to-trails land
- AR: Fayetteville to test bike safety improvements
- CO: Party on tap to celebrate Fruita's new connection
- MO: Deer Creek Greenway expansion
- OR: 7 arrested during latest Bear Creek Greenway sweep
Wadsworth Opens 'Interurban Trail'
OH - "...The city, which held a ribbon cutting for the trail and park last week, has installed a large Interurban Trail sign with a map and bike racks downtown. There also are plans for more benches and historical signs along the path..." more
Buck Creek Trail Reopens
Bicycle "Chop-Shop" Discovered in Xenia
OH - "...Police are trying to reunite more than 40 bicycles and bike frames with their owners after discovering an apparent "chop shop" at a detached garage..." more
Cannonball Trail Volunteer Honored
Montpelier, OH - "It gives the NORTA board great pleasure to honor Danielle Lee, Montpelier, with the dedication of Danielle’s Crossing, a place where she cleared and made a path in the last mile of the trail..." more
Resident Calls for Making Mt. Vernon More Bike Friendly
OH - "...He also pointed out that the bike lanes that were on Division Street and Mount Vernon Avenue when he came to town 35 years ago are gone." more...
Ann Arbor Relaunching Bike Share
MI - "Ann Arbor's bike share system is transitioning to a new operator." more...
Road Rage Incident Leaves Cyclist with Broken Neck
GA - "...The bicyclist's GoPro caught the crash on camera..." more
The Best Bike Cities in America
"...here's our ranking of the 50 cities that are doing the most to make urban riding awesome." more...
Cycling Fatalities Down 8% in 2017
D.C. - "...Experts in the bike community point out that the findings, while welcome, don't indicate a trend." more...
Is Pedal Dockless Bike Share Going Extinct?
"...cities around the country have already started switching from the heavy bikes to the Next Big Thing: pedal-assist e-bikes and e-scooters." more...
Study Finds that Cyclists are Better Drivers
UK - "...The link between cycling and safer motoring was revealed by a UK insurance firm..." more...
- TN: U of M to Get Explore Bike Share Next Fall
- OR: Portland slips to 5th in Bicycling Magazine ‘Best Bike City’ rankings
- OR: City releases $2M project list that includes cycle-track, crossbikes and more
- WA: Bicycling Magazine names Seattle the #1 bike city in the U.S.
- NY: DEC touts success of shuttle service to High Peaks trailheads
- TX: DFW trail would let you bike from Fort Worth to Dallas
- WI: Remembering a bike trail pioneer
- NC: Greensboro Downtown Greenway growing with community support
- OR: IC council to consult ODOT on bending Greenway Project
- NH: The Mascoma River Greenway In Lebanon Is Complete
- VA: Police identify pedestrian killed in crash on Route 11 in Botetourt County
- UK: Derry MLA calls on Council to repair lights on 'pitch black' Waterside greenway
Driver Cited for Trip on Olentangy Trail
Clark County Adding Location Markers to Trails
Clark County, OH - "National Trail Parks and Recreation District will be labeling the trails over the next few weeks by placing coded stickers every 1/10 of a mile on the Simon Kenton Trail, Buck Creek Trail and Little Miami Scenic Trail.
"These codes will then be put into the Clark County GIS system that is connected to the Dispatch Network. This system will make it easier for emergency services to locate trail users if needed..." more
Little Miami Group Accepting Donations for Safety Program
SW OH - "...Phase I will be painting crosswalk 'ladders' on road surfaces [along the Little Miami Scenic Trail] using reflective paint and clearing lines of sight both left and right to 45 degrees by removing brush, low limbs, and trees." more...
ToleGO! Bike Share Coming Oct. 16
Toledo, OH - "...Toledo residents and visitors will have access to 100 bikes at 17 hubs within the city, available for use 24 hours a day..." more
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Paducah Receives $100K to Connect Trails
KY - "...the Recreational Trails Program funding will help construct a pedestrian bridge over Perkins Creek." more...
Louisville Establishes Dockless Vehicle Policy
KY - "Louisville Metro Public Works has released a new policy that lays out a series of fees and rules dictating when and where dockless vehicles, including Bird scooters, can operate." more...
Lynchburg Creates GoFund Me Page for Parks & Trails
VA - "Lynchburg city is trying to scramble money with hopes to open their trails again." more...
E-Bike Fire Destroys Home
Hampstead, MD - "Maryland fire investigators say a 25-year-old man assembling a do-it-yourself e-bike caused a fire that destroyed a house." more...
Tiny Vehicles and the New Safety in Numbers
"With dockless bike share systems and electric scooters rolling into cities across America at an unprecedented rate, a holistic reduction in crashes, fatalities, and injuries should follow..." more
- BEL: Brussels car-free day saw an 80 % decrease in black carbon
- IL: Bike Lanes Blocked By Vehicles Create Chaos For Cyclists
- OR: Bend group frustrated over bike lane loss
- KS: Downtown bike-share program doubling in size
- WA: Open house for stunning Eastside Trail Wilburton segment
- IL: Another Case of Brutality Against a Bicyclist in West Town
- OK: 3rd lawsuit opposing bike trail filed against city
- MN: Minnetonka delays vote on Lone Lake Park bike trail
- TX: 12-mile off-road cycling trail opens in National Forest
- CA: Goleta Bike Path Project on Right Track
- NC: Greenway grading to start soon
- CAN: Man assaulted on Greenway in Kingsville
Blacklick Trail Underpass Remains Closed
New Trailhead along Cannonball Trail
Honda Demos "Smart" Intersection
Marysville, OH - "Honda Motor Co. has fitted a downtown Marysville intersection with cameras, computers and artificial intelligence that can warn equipped vehicles of a jaywalker around an obstructed-view corner..." more
E-Bike Bill Passes Senate
Columbus, OH - "...The bill will establish the same laws for e-bikes as non-motorized bikes and permit class 1 & 2 e-bikes on multi-use trails..." more
Learn why allowing e-bikes on multi-use trails is a bad idea.
Knox Kane Rail Trail Grand Opening Oct. 19
PA - "...a roughly 4-mile portion of the former Knox-Kane Railroad path, now ready for travelers of a different type..." more
Bike Parking at Hydrants Considered
Philadelphia, PA - "...The fire-hydrant bike corral effort will be the first of its kind, as far as anyone knows..." more
NYC Designing Safer Intersections
NYC - "89 percent of bike collisions happen at intersections. DOT’s new street-design guidelines aim to slash that statistic and save lives." more...
Managing Curb Spaces
"...After years of neglect and scorn, this strip of urban infrastructure, long the sole domain of the meter maid, has gotten incredibly crowded..." more
Sidewalk Toronto has Only One Beneficiary
CAN - "...'Smart cities' rely on IP and data to make the vast array of city sensors more functionally valuable, and when under the control of private interests, an enormous new profit pool..." more
Netherlands Proposes to Ban Phone Use on Bikes
NLD - "...It is already illegal to use a phone while driving a motor vehicle in the Netherlands..." more
Human Bollard Campaigns
"Advocating for cyclist safety through direct action." more...
- ESP: Madrid announces new rules of the road in bid to banish traffic from center
- TX: Iconic East Austin Bridge to be Repurposed
- IRE: Update on Laois Offaly Slieve Bloom mountain bike trail
- UK: New bike trail will be a ‘superb addition’ to county
- DE: New Castle County aims to connect trails, enable bike commuting
- VA: New bridge in Salem part of more work expected on Roanoke Greenway
Rail Trail Build - NE Columbus
Camp Chase Trail Extension @ Darby Creek Metro Park
Related: "New New updated restrooms available on the Camp Chase Trail and Ohio to Erie Trail in Indian Ridge area of Battelle Darby Creek Metro Park."
COMBO Building MTB Trails in Central Ohio
Columbus, OH - "...without the help of COMBO and its 300 volunteers, there would be far fewer places to ride mountain bikes throughout central Ohio." more...
The Case of the Disappearing Bike Lanes
D.C. - "...Co-chair Councilmember Charles Allen pointed out that crosswalks and bike lanes are disappearing before his eyes." more...
Lyft's "Ditch Your Car" Challenge
"The "Ditch Your Car" Challenge gives Lyft credit to commuters who stop using their car for a month." more...
- OR: PDOT continues to look at ways to reduce traffic deaths
- FL: Councilman, businesses push for traffic safety measures
- NOR: Oslo is ridding its city centre of cars
- NY: Chemical waste in ground at Lewiston park site in dispute
- AR: Bike Trail Opens at Lake Wedington State Park
- MD: Montgomery County mountain bikers are charged up about a new trail
Locator Beacon Saves Cyclist in Distress
NZL - "...The 74-year-old told the Herald this morning he was glad to be alive after his misadventure on the Timber Trail..." more
Renovo Calls it Quits
Portland, OR - "The ride for Renovo Hardwood Bicycles is over." more...
Group Plans Attraction Similar to Otago Central Rail Trail
NZL - "Plans are under way to create in Taranaki a biking destination to rival Otago's massively popular rail trail." more...
- CA: Bike Trail Named For Environmental Journalist
- AUS: Trail starts Stromlo mountain biking revival
- CAN: New master plan being developed for Quesnel mountain biking trails
- OR: New shuttle service will take you from Portland to Sandy Ridge
Little Miami Trail Sections Reopen
SW OH - "...All major construction at the Ft. Ancient and Spring Valley locations has been completed. Minor restoration work such as seeding and mulching still needs done..." more
Philly is About to get More Bike Friendly
PA - "The city just secured state funding for new protected (and permanent!) Market Street bike lanes, plus the South Street bike lane is coming soon." more...
Upland Bridges the Gap with New Trail
IN - "...This mile-long stretch of trail through Upland is part of a larger plan to bridge the Cardinal Greenway Trail’s 12-mile gap that stretches between Gaston and Gas City." more...
New Section of Canalway Trail Opens
NY - "...A new 5-mile portion of the Erie Canalway Trail connecting southern Amsterdam to Pattersonville, a hamlet of the town of Rotterdam, officially opened to the public Wednesday..." more
Greenway Attack Victim: "I'm Lucky"
TN - "A 79-year-old man stabbed on a West Knoxville greenway is talking about what happened and the outpouring of support he's received." more...
$17M for Bike & Ped Improvements in Maryland
MD - "...included in the announcement was a $250,000 grant awarded to the City of Baltimore DOT to support the development of a key segment of the Baltimore Greenway Trails Network..." more
Thieves Steal Container Full of Bikes
CAN - "Rocky Mountain Bicycles is hoping dealers can help recover 160 bikes stolen from a shipping container that was on the grounds of the company's warehouse here." more...
- MD: Bike trail gives new life to land
- OK: Councilors approve land purchase near proposed bike trail
- MD: Salisbury rail-trail project fueled by state grant
- MO: Fee Fee Greenway opens after 10-year project
- WA: Be vigilant on the Yakima Greenway
- AR: Pop-up Beer Garden Opens Along Razorback Greenway
- VA: Richmond set to re-time 300 traffic signals in downtown area
- MA: Boston’s progress towards roadway safety
- UT: Scooter impact bike share use
- WA: Lime is fighting back against Seattle’s resistance to scooters
- WI: Milwaukee okays Complete Streets Policy
- WA: 3,000 Lime users contact city asking for scooter share
Driver Cited for Getting Stuck on Bike Path
The truck has been removed and the trail has reopened.
Simon Kenton Pathfinders
Lighting the Streets for Safety
Detroit, MI - "...A new report on streetlights... shows that pedestrians deaths plummeted in the Motor City from an average of 24 per year to just one, thanks to a two-year, $185-million effort that replaced 65,000 lights in a city where 40 percent were not working in 2014." more...
Part of NYC to Canada Trail Opens
Pattersonville, NY - "A new 5-mile (8 kilometer) section of a trail that will eventually span from New York City to Canada has opened in the Mohawk Valley." more...
Will E-Bikes Increase Bike Commuting?
"It’s too early to tell if electric bicycles hold the secret to grand pronouncements such as 'the future of transportation.' But there’s definitely something interesting happening." more...
U.S. Traffic Fatalities Remain High
U.S. - "There were 37,133 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes on U.S. roadways during 2017, a 1.8-percent decrease from 37,806 people killed in 2016..." more
Fugitive Posed as Cyclist to Evade Capture
JPN - "Junya Hida, who biked hundreds of miles while on the lam, was finally captured last weekend." more...
- LA: New Orleans' bike-share program drops prices
- NC: Car plows into pedestrians on downtown Raleigh sidewalk
- CHE: Bike Infrastructure Enshrined in Swiss Constitution
- CA: L.A. Mobility Advocates Protest Lack of Progress
- GA: ‘Genius grant’ firm to design Chattahoochee greenway
- GA: Bear encounter on Big Creek Greenway a reminder to stay vigilant
- CT: Brookfield Seeks Award for Still River Greenway
- DE: Wilmington to New Castle trail open
- UK: Extra cash to boost £11.75m Glentress Forest cabin and bike trail plans
Semi Truck Stuck on Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - "Bicycle path north of Spring St. parallel to 315 is closed due to a stuck semi that struck two overhead bridges." more...
Step Taken to Link B&O Trail to Trimble Rd Path
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraiser Progress
Urbana, OH - "...Each dollar that we raise by November 30th is matched, up to $25,000... to be used for additional paving in the Spring/Summer of 2019... more
Missing Ohio Mom found Dead in Great Smoky Mountains
"...The 53-year-old had last been seen Sept. 25, when she and her daughter became separated during a hike." more...
Argument Over Scooters Leads to Shooting
Columbus, OH - "...Three teens were arguing over the availability of the scooters..." more
Knoxville Greenway Attacks
TN - "A 79-year-old grandfather targeted in a brutal attack along a West Knoxville greenway over the weekend is recovering from multiple stab wounds to his head, neck and face..." more
Related: Runner recalls finding attack victim.
Seattle's Scooter Ban
WA - "...Seattle has banned dockless scooter-sharing companies from the city’s streets, with no word on when, or if, scooters might join the city’s coterie of transportation options." more...
3-Foot Passing Law in Minnesota
MN - "Minnesota state law requires motorists to give 3 or more feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist, and the good news is a large majority of drivers obey." more...
Dockless Data is Helping Cities Map Your Movement
"Lime and other companies are gathering masses of location-based information that some cities are leveraging to improve their streets." more...
The Bird and the Bicycle
"...This article explores what it might look like if scooters, by law, became bicycles – or at least were treated as bicycles in the way that electrically-assisted bicycles are treated in many states or in the way that Maine treats roller skis as bicycles." more...
- HI: New city council proposal seeks to ban wheels on the sidewalk
- MO: KC adds temporary scooter, bike lane downtown
- OR: Portland embarks on NW Flanders Bikeway project
- SC: Stretch of Swamp Rabbit Trail closed through late November
- CA: Greenway supporters identify missing links in trail
- TN: New Portion Of Wolf River Greenway Is Now Open In Raleigh
- IRE: Could Navan-Kingscourt Greenway attract 150,000 visitors a year?
- VT: Burlington Greenway enters next phase
- NY: Amsterdam-Pattersonville bike trail opens
- WI: Memorial Drive resident objects to sidewalks and bike trail
- IL: Hard surface planned for hiking/biking trail
- OR: Six miles of state bike trail now open, John B. Yeon to Cascade Locks
New Bike Trail in Green Twp.
OH - "...The path is 10-feet wide and will eventually run to Veterans Park on Harrison Avenue..." more
Towpath Section Closing for Marathon
Brecksville, OH - "The Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail in Cuyahoga Valley National Park will be closed to the public starting at dusk on Saturday, Oct. 6 through 2 p.m. on Oct. 7 for the annual Towpath Marathon." more...
Cuyahoga River Partners Creating Water Trail
Cleveland, OH - "Fans of the Cuyahoga River want it designated an official Ohio water trail, promoting public access and increasing appreciation for the waterway." more...
Rails to Trails Path Would Start in New Albany
IN - "63-mile trail would connect five counties." more...
Murders Continue in Chicago Park
IL - "Chicago police said a masked gunman appears to be targeting people in the city's Rogers Park neighborhood at random following the second fatal shooting in the neighborhood in two days." more...
Stop Comparing Cycling & Driving Violations
"We both break the law from time to time. But it's not even close to a one-to-one exchange." more...
- OR: Islabikes to close US headquarters office and warehouse in Portland
- OR: Tualatin-Valley Hwy claimed two more lives yesterday
- OR: Man and young child hit while crossing SE 122nd at Midland Library
- IL: Supporters raise funds to help injured Chicago retailer — and her store
- IRE: The greenway that needs a red light
- GA: Gainesville council approves Limestone Greenway
- NE: Bike trail links Millard to Bellevue
- NY: Queensbury officials review plans for $5.3M bike trail
- WI: New bike trails coming to three Marathon County communities
- LA: New Baton Rouge bike paths in the works
Greenway Paving Delayed
Lisbon, OH - "The Columbiana County Park District will delay until next year repaving parts of the Little Beaver Creek Greenway Trail after the board voted to reject the sole bid received for the project." more...
Fallen Tree Closes Hockhocking Adena Bikeway Section
Scooter Numbers Rising Fast in Columbus
OH - "...Our August scooter census showed 150 on the streets. By the end of September, there were like 16,000..." more
How About a Regional Transit System for Bikes?
Detroit, MI - "...local leaders are working to create this regional transit system for two wheels." more...
$632K Grant for Mayfield Bike Trail Project
Mayfield, KY - "...The new trail will start at Kess Creek Park and connect to the fairgrounds at the other end of town..." more...
Bus Driver Found Guilty in Citi-Bike Death
NYC - "Monday’s guilty verdict against the driver of a 50,000-pound bus that struck and killed a Citi Bike rider in 2017 reawakened a raw debate about who bears more responsibility on New York City’s crowded streets..." more
Trail Closed Due to Safety Concerns after Murder
Ames, IA - "...The trail clean up comes after Ames residents expressed concerns over Celia’s alleged killer Collin Richards, who was homeless and living near the trail." more...
Capital Bikeshare E-Bikes are a Big Hit
D.C. - "Earlier this month, Capital Bikeshare debuted the newest additions to their fleet: 80 pedal-assist electric bikes (known as e-bikes)." more...
The Link Between Transport & Public Health
"...Communities across the United States are starting to make the connection between physical activity and land use and transportation options..." more
Children Required to Have License Plates on Their Bikes
London - "Children have been told they will be banned from cycling to their south London school if they do not put number plates on their bikes." more...
- MN: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Polk and Norman Counties
- WA: Study pinpoints most dangerous Seattle Intersections
- MA: More e-bikes available in Boston-area bike shares
- TN: Bike Share Expands to Mud Island
- CA: Speed up safety improvements for bicyclists, peds
- AUS: Tasmania accused of blocking land transfer for bike trail expansion
- CA: Corridor study: Where to spend millions to improve transportation
- MD: Annapolis bike lane experiment ends two weeks early
- CA: Paving the way for the El Dorado Trail
- VA: Popular Greenway bridge closed after being damaged during flooding
- TN: KPD: Greenway still safe despite bloody attack
Heartland Trail Construction
Wayne County, OH - "Construction of the 2.4 mile stretch of trail between Forrer Road and Marshallville will continue through October and possibly into November... ...Wayne County is the missing link to having the entire OTET [Ohio-to-Erie Trail] on trails with fewer or no roads at all." more...
Wayne County Rails-to-Trails E-News
Wayne County, OH - Read the October edition.
Griffin Bike Park not Resting on its Laurels
Vigo County, IN - "...One of the park’s recent initiatives is the inclusion of Class 1 E-bikes, which feature “pedal-assist” and will allow people with limited mobility to participate on the trails..." more
Mountain Biker Dies on Valhalla Trail
CO - "A 61-year-old mountain biker died on an expert trail at the Snowmass ski area in central Colorado." more...
Is Pinellas County the Most Dangerous Place to Bicycle?
FL - "...Pasco County had a higher rate of deaths than Pinellas among counties in the Tampa Bay region..." more
Seattle Bike Commuting Hits 10-Year Low
WA - " Last year, just 2.8 percent of workers who live in Seattle biked to work as a primary mode of transportation..." more
- D.C.: Mayor pushing for $500 speeding tickets, 15 mph speed limits
- AZ: Phoenix is cracking down on jaywalking
- VA: Bynum sees proposed Schools Connector trail as beneficial to children’s safety
- MD: Planners, bike advocates see potential of East Street path
- TX: Police continue to investigate identity of pedestrian killed in crash
- AR: Scooters, sidewalks, and trails
- IRE: Deputy mayor defends Youghal greenway plan
Riders Pitch Idea for History Trail
PA - "Michael Fuhrman’s invite was easy to accept. He was offering a bike excursion to the eastern part of Erie, to an area where he’d like to see a waterfront history trail and the reconstruction of three historic forts." more...
Providing Safe Transportation for Everyone
Colorado Springs, CO - "Bike Colorado Springs was disappointed to read The Gazette’s recent editorial claiming that the new bike lanes in and around downtown Colorado Springs are 'impeding traffic'..." more
- UT: Björr Trail officially opened at Beaver Mountain
- CAN: First phase of the Okanagan Rail Trail opens
- TN: Jogger attacked on Ten Mile Greenway
Bicycle Turning Boxes Installed in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "The Two Stage Bicycle Turn Boxes are complete at both ends of the Detroit-Superior bridge. TSBTBs are a safe, low-stress option for making a left turn in busy intersections..." more
Bicyclists Meet in Mt. Vernon
Mt. Vernon, OH - "Making streets and roads safer for bicyclists was a major concern expressed by people attending a meeting on the future of bicycling in Mount Vernon and Knox County..." more
Ohio Woman Rescued off Mount Cardigan
NH - "Fish and Game conservation officers helped an Ohio woman get safely off the summit of Mount Cardigan after she had become lost Thursday night and had no lights." more...
Ohio River Greenway Nearing Completion
Clarksville, IN - "...When finished, the Ohio River Greenway will connect New Albany, Clarksville and Jeffersonville. The Clarksville portion of the pedestrian-friendly pathway is still under construction." more...
Promoting Bike & Ped Routes
Bowling Green, KY - "... the Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee of the Bowling Green-Warren County Metropolitan Planning Organization is about to go public with its mission of promoting bicycling and pedestrian travel in the city." more...
Death Penalty Sought in NYC Bike Path Attack
NY - "A man charged with using a truck to kill eight people last year on a New York City bike path will face the death penalty at a trial next year..." more
6 Miles of Columbia Gorge Path Now Open
OR - "It's been just over a year since the Eagle Creek fire tore through the Columbia River Gorge, and while many trails and trailheads remain closed to the public, one segment of paved pathway is now open." more...
Alleged Greenway Rapist Pleads Guilty
Yakima, WA - "A teen accused of raping a woman at the Yakima Greenway has pleaded guilty Friday morning." more...
- NY: Repairs Coming To Fort Washington Pedestrian Bridge
- OR: Ashland hopes to stretch the Greenway
- NM: Río Grande Trail grows by 34 miles in Taos County
- WI: 'Road Diets' & Other Plans For Milwaukee Streets
- FL: Mother hit on bike on Bay To Bay
Clintonville Neighborhood Bikeways Project
Clintonville, OH - "Neighborhoods like Clintonville are already home to miles of bike paths, but some residents want to expand accessibility to biking from the path to the neighborhood streets." more...
Closing the Harlem Road Trail Gap
New Albany, OH - "...City leaders want to build a trail connection on Harlem between Greensward and Dublin-Granville roads, Stefanov said. The gap is about a quarter mile..." more
Galena Trail Progress
New Flint-Area Section of Iron Belle Trail Opens
MI - "...bikers and hikers gathered outside of the Genesee County Parks Administration Building on Thursday to officially open a 2¼-mile (3.6-kilometer) stretch of paved trail." more
Memorial Ride And 'Ghost Scooter' Planned For Fallen Rider
D.C. - "...Organizers of the ride are calling on the city to make changes in the often chaotic traffic circle, and they plan to install a seemingly first-of-its-kind 'ghost scooter' memorial." more...
Uber CEO Calls for E-Bike-Friendly Cities
D.C. - "Dara Khosrowshahi, the CEO of ride-share company Uber, says e-bikes are often the best way to get around a city, especially during rush hours..." more
Helmets Banned from Yankee Stadium
NY - "...The New York Post reported last week that helmets of almost any kind—bicycle, motorcycle, or baseball—are not permitted in Yankee Stadium..." more
- TX: Austin prepares for ‘silver tsunami’ of older pedestrians
- OR: Portland launches e-scooter rider survey
- WA: Disappointing bike commute data is ‘neither surprising nor inevitable’
- AUS: UK cyclist died instantly in race collision, inquest told
- TX: New lift-served bike park will operate year-round
- VA:Getting around Huntley Meadows Park is an obstacle to some bicyclists.
- IA: Officer pursues vehicles on bike trail
- MO: Eldon on the trail to a healthy community
- OR: Greenway project Phase II may be flickering
- ND: Man pleads guilty to sexually assaulting woman on Greenway
- CHN: Chengdu to build a livable 'Garden City
Knox County Parks E-News
Read the fall newsletter.
Huffy President to Retire
Dayton, OH - "...In his 25-year tenure with the company, Smith has spent the past eight years as CEO, leading the company's return to profitability after emerging from bankruptcy in 2005..." more
Why Aging Boomers Need Walkable Cities
"...The fundamental issue in America is that almost anywhere they try to implement Vision Zero, almost everyone in those cities drives. They aren’t willing to be slowed down, they object, and the politicians refuse to do anything that's going to make drivers angry." more...
Safety Board Responds to Ped Crashes
"...It’s the agency’s first serious examination of pedestrian deaths in two decades." more...
- TX: San Marcos introduces bike share system
- MD: Pedaling Annapolis’ New Bike-Sharing Plan
- VA: Capital Bikeshare expands in Fairfax
- MO: Streetcar Authority asks scooter riders to ‘Respect the Rail’
- IL: Evanston agrees to buy Oak Park Divvy stations, extend bike-share contract
- OR: City lowers speed limits on Marine Drive west of 33rd
- WA: Decline in Seattle bike commuting, especially by women
- IL: Noble Square Road Rage Attack
- OR: Making headway on the Greenway
- VA: Warrenton Branch Greenway celebrates 20 years
- IRE: Fight goes on despite greenway fudge
- IRE: Greenway decision was ‘soul destroying,’ says councillor
- TX: Parking meters installed along north side of hike and bike trail
- VA: Fauquier needs better resources for bicyclists
Little Miami Trail Section Closure
Wayne Twp., OH - The closure of the trail section between New Burlington Rd. and Roxanna New Burlington Rd has been pushed back to next week, Oct. 1-5.
This section was scheduled for paving this week, but has been rescheduled due to rain.
Bike-Hike Trail Closures
Hudson, OH - From Summit Metro Parks, "First Energy is continuing utility pole replacement work along the Bike & Hike Trail in Stow and Hudson. A trail closure will be in effect for the section of trail at Hampshire Road heading north to Barlow Road. The closure will be in effect until November 5, which is an extension of the original projected completion date."
"[On Nov. 5] First Energy expects to begin utility line work between Barlow Rd. and State Route 303 in Hudson. A trail closure will be in effect for the duration of this project, which is expected to last approximately seven weeks..."
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Bikes Lanes & Path Coming to Durham
NC - "...In the city, Durham is planning for new bike lanes on parts of 10 roads." more...
Guardrails Installed to Protect Trail Users
Austin, TX - "Permanent guardrails have been put in place near Austin's popular hike and bike trail after a driver hit and killed a man on the trail." more...
- TN: Alert after reports of man exposing himself in Metro parks
- NE: Police investigating robberies along downtown Lincoln bike trail
- FL: Leaders move ahead with plans for a multi-million dollar bi-county bike trail
- VA: Driver mistakes bike path for community-center entrance
- CA: Sacramento Land Owners Fight Bike Path Proposal
- OR: Portland bike commute numbers
Bike-Hike Trail Closure
Boston Heights, OH - From Summit Metro Parks, "The Bike & Hike Trail at the Boston Heights tunnel just south of Route 303 will be closed for approximately four weeks. There will be a signed detour available across Akron-Cleveland Road."
Art Benches along Athens Trail
Athens, OH - "First of a series of planned Art Benches in Athens..." more
Self-Driving Shuttle Unveiled
Columbus, OH - "...Testing of the all-electric vehicles will begin this week, and the shuttles will begin accepting passengers in December..." more
City Says Bike Lanes Are Coming To Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA - "The City of Pittsburgh says a five-block bike lane is coming to the Strip District..." more
‘Poopy Bandit’ Steals Child’s Bike
MI - "Local authorities in Michigan are still looking for the culprit caught on a surveillance cameral." more...
Philly Considers New Officer Class
Philadelphia, PA - "A new class of traffic enforcement officer is expected to be proposed Thursday in City Council to tackle gridlock afflicting Center City." more...
The Bike Commuter Gap
"...Where is American cycling growing?" more...
Infrastructure Biggest Factor in Bike Safety
MN - "...Researchers used bike-mounted cameras and recording equipment to study 3,000 passing events in Hennepin County..." more
"...Another e-scooterer was killed last week in Washington, D.C. — the third such fatality in just over a month..." more
Emphasizing Bicycling Safety
U.S. - "...Many states have committed to addressing bicyclist safety by making bicyclist safety an emphasis area in their SHSP." more...
World's First Recycled Plastic Bike Lane
NLD - "...Zwolle, one of the country's "greenest cities," implemented the world's first bicycle lane composed of post-consumer waste that would normally be discarded or incinerated." more...
Volkswagen Launches Cargo E-Bike
GER - "...Volkswagen’s (VW) cargo e-bike is equipped with a 250-watt mid motor combined with an automatic transmission." more...
- LA: Lyft driver donates bike to man who walks 18 miles/day
- NY: Concern raised over Empire State Trail upkeep
- IRE: Rally in support of Quiet Man greenway draws thousands
- IRE: Council reveal plans for ambitious Greenway project
- MA: National Seashore Awards Contract for Bike Trail and Connector
- CT: Man confesses to killing trail jogger
- AUS: New route recommended for heritage railway and rail trail
Greenway Funds Sought to Replace Dead Trees
Niagara Falls, NY - "...DeSantis said the money will help cut down and replant about 280 ash trees, but [it's] estimated between 1,000 and 2,000 hardwoods in the Falls are devastated." more...
Bikes Coast into Swiss Constitution
"...Some 73.6% of voters said 'yes' on Sunday to giving federal authorities more responsibility in coordinating and developing cycle paths nationwide..." more
- CAN: Redneck duathlon celebrates new bike trail
- IRE: Delay in finishing first stage of Slieve Bloom Trail
- CAN: Sarnia's vision for a bike-friendly community
- KS: Pittsburg Trail Project
- UK: Mass cycling event to celebrate The Greenway opening
- NC: Greenway construction in West Asheville to take 1 year
- IRE: Thousands attend rally in support of Galway greenway
Linking Kenmore Blvd to the Towpath Trail
Akron, OH - "...[Kenmore Neighborhood] alliance received $20,000 grants from the Knight Foundation and the Akron Civic Commons project to link Kenmore Boulevard to the Towpath Trail and to improve safety for bikers of the trail." more...
Downed Trees Cleared from Kokosing Trail
Knox County, OH - "...Surprise! Before they could get to the cherry at the 6-mile mark, they had to clear two huge oak trees at the 2-mile mark and then pull a widow-maker down at the 3-mile mark..." more
Proposed Olentangy Trail Connector
Columbus, OH - "...The proposal calls for two bridges, 200 feet each, across the river, and follow the edge of the OhioHealth campus..." more
Pollinator Park Plans Include Loop Trail System
Columbus, IN - "...The project in Columbus is being called a pollinator park because it is meant to support insects and birds that pollinate plants..." more
National Park Reopens After Eruption
Honolulu, HI - " A national park in Hawaii has reopened after being closed for more than four months because of Kilauea volcano's latest eruption..." more
- CA: Hiker Collapses, Dies on Trail in Cleveland National Forest
- UK: Crowdfunder for bike trail
- MD: Controversial bike lane in Annapolis
- CAN: Hurt cyclist airlifted off trail
- GA: North Oconee River Greenway opens addition near College Station
Athens Bike Path Spur Officially Open
New CoGo Bike Share Stations
Columbus, OH - "...Many of the two dozen-plus new stations are already stocked with bikes, and the attached kiosks..."
"...The new additions bring the total number of stations to 72..." more
New Trail in Elizabeth Park
Trenton, MI - "...The Greenway project is a three-quarter mile non-motorized trail along the park canal that eventually will provide a link that will connect to the Detroit International Wildlife Refuge Gateway and Trenton’s Central Business District." more...
Fundraising For Trail Rescue Equipment
MI - "Lyndon Township is known for its recreational outdoor activities-whether its a water sport among one of its many lakes, hiking through its parks, hunting on the many acres of state land or bicycling on the trails..." more
Measure Introduced to Make Biking Illegal on Riverwalk
Chicago, IL - "Seemingly a victim of its own success, the popular Chicago Riverwalk may soon come under new rules requiring cyclists to walk—not ride—their bikes on the 1.25-mile-long linear park connecting downtown and the Chicago Lakefront Trail." more...
AASHTO Draft Finally Includes Protected Bike Lanes
U.S. - "...A draft edition of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials’ Bike Guide, an engineering manual used by transportation planners nationwide, includes for the first time a host of security measures such as protected bike lanes, protected intersections, sidewalk level bike lanes and parking protected bike lanes — designs that some cities have successfully implemented for years." more...
Cyclists Saving Lives in Africa
"A pilot program in Zambia drastically reduced fatality rates, prompting calls to expand the model across the continent." more...
- UK: Galway cyclists urge councillors to support Athenry Tuam Greenway
- NC: New Segment of Crabtree Creek Greenway Opens
- MN: Phase 1 of Mason city bike trail system completed
- IA: Mount Trashmore trails, overlook closed due to vandalism and wet conditions
- MD: Students Find Body Near Bike Path
- WI: 12 pedestrians struck by vehicles, killed in Milwaukee this year
- OR: How not to do bike parking
- TX: Autopsy confirms likely first electric scooter death in US
Kenmore Blvd Connection to the Towpath
Akron, OH - "...The city of Akron recently conducted an 18-block project that added protected bicycle lanes. Better connection between Kenmore Boulevard and the Towpath Trail emerged as a top priority..." more
Trails Caucus Excursion on the Towpath Trail
Cleveland, OH - "...The tour, organized in large part by Buckeye Trail Association President Steve Walker, provided participants an opportunity to see how the development of the Towpath Trail is transforming the Cuyahoga River Valley..." more
Cyclist Hate Group Gets Push Back
NKY - "...Since the beginning of the week, the group has become closed, instead of public, and changed its name to 'Share the Road'." more...
Public Feedback Needed on U.S. Bike Route 50
Weirton, WV - "...To connect Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania, the route would cross the Market Street bridge and then utilize one--or a combination--of five routes..." more
Trail connections are also being planning in Weirton.
Ann Arbor Plans for Scooter Parking
MI - "...Once the terms are agreed upon, she said, it would set parameters for where scooters should be parked." more...
The Minneapolis Plan for Dockless Bike Share
MN - "One of the U.S.’s oldest station-based bike-share systems is going free-range, but Nice Ride thinks it can provide a new, less chaotic model." more...
Video Shows Bus Driver Running Into Citi Bike Rider
NYC - "...A video showing Coach USA operator Dave Lewis driving his 50,000-pound bus over Citi Bike rider Dan Hanegby bolsters the prosecution case that Lewis was reckless as he tried to pass the cyclist..." more
Kroger's Driverless Grocery Delivery
"The largest grocery chain in the U.S. recently announced they are testing driverless grocery delivery in Scottsdale, Arizona..." more
- WI: Bicyclist safety around The Hop
- OR: New keypads coming to Biketown bikes
- KS: Trails set for Little Jerusalem -- Kansas’ newest state park
- MO: 'Six Creeks Greenway' to be name of proposed 30-mile loop
- PA: Bucks towns get $3.45M in state sewer, greenway and other projects
- OR: Pedal Power clearcut would make for some bike trail
Upcoming Little Miami Trail Section Closure
Wayne Twp., OH - "The week of September 24th the trail will be CLOSED between New Burlington Rd. and Roxanna New Burlington Rd [a 4.3-mile section] for paving..." more...
Right-Sizing Akron Streets for Safety
Akron, OH - "...Redesigning and re-striping our streets is a cost-effective and responsible way to slow traffic down, improving safety for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists alike." more...
Teen Uses Gun to Steal Bike
Cleveland, OH - "An unidentified teen took a 14-year-old boy's bicycle at gunpoint Tuesday on the basketball courts outside Cleveland's Thurgood Marshall Recreation Center..." more...
Wesleyan MetroPark About to Grow
Legislation Would Fine Scooter Riders
Cincinnati, OH - "An ordinance before Cincinnati City Council would fine people using motorized scooters if they use them on city sidewalks." more...
Greenway Cleanup Continues in the Wake of Florence
VA - "...So far, more than 20 tons of debris has been removed from the Roanoke River Greenway along Wiley Drive." more...
Greenway Hi-Rail Nearing Completion
Evansville, IN - "...The 2.5-mile expansion of the Pigeon Creek Greenway runs along the west side of Highway 41 from Riverside Drive to Walnut Street." more...
Anti-Bicycle Group Draws Controversy
KY - "Admins with "NKY Hates Bicyclists" say they're just trading harmless jokes about cyclists. But riders say they're inciting violence and engaging in hate speech." more...
Denver is Expanding its Broadway Bike Lanes
CO - "The city of Denver plans to run a new two-way bike path along a lengthy stretch of Broadway, replacing another automobile lane as it tries to open up the busy corridor to new users." more...
Has Vision Zero Lost its Way?
"Any city can brand its safety projects ‘Vision Zero’..." more
- LA: New Orleans Gets a Protected Bike Lane Demo
- NY: NYPD Security Plan for UN Meeting Kills 1st and 2nd Ave. Bike Lanes
- MD: Bill would set new max speed limits for Baltimore’s streets and alleys
- CAN: Montreal looks to curb pedestrian death toll
- FL: Driver on drugs hits and kills bicyclist on sidewalk
- OR: Rally shows support for protected bikeways
- TN: Altercation over bicycle leads to man shot, charge of attempted murder
- NLD: Four children killed in Netherlands as train hits cargo bicycle
- NY: State to offer hiking shuttle for Columbus Day weekend
- OR: Medford resident organizes greenway clean up effort
- TX: How new bayou trails are connecting 'forgotten' Houston
- MN: EDA votes to support DNR plans for Fall River bike trail bridge
- ME: Mountain bike club working with Topsham to develop bike trails
- WI: Trail Into Phelps Brings Debate
- NE: Omaha Police patrolling city trails after receiving public concerns
Proposed Plan to Connect Trails in Mansfield
Submitted by Nelson Shogren
Towpath - Temporary Section Closing
Massillon, OH - From starkparks.com, "The Towpath Trail will be closed between Cherry St. and Lincoln Way on Saturday, Sept. 22 from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. for sewer work."
Olentangy Trail Trailhead Closed
Columbus, OH - From centralohiogreenways.com, "...A majority of the [Worthington Hills] shopping center including the trailhead parking area has been fenced off for construction.
"Parking and trailhead access has been temporarily located behind the Hills Market..." more
Columbus to be 'Rather Lenient' with Scooter Rules
Columbus, OH - "...In order to embrace these new types of mobility we’re going to be rather lenient. There will be a learning curve for everybody..." more
$5M Bond set for Rape Suspect
Ravenna, OH - "Bond was set at $5 million for the man accused of a series of rapes that occurred along the Berlin Hike and Bike Trail." more...
Crossing Guards Make Streets Safer
Philadelphia, PA - "...Crossing guards in Philadelphia don't just keep students safe..." more
Community Helps Vet Whose Bike was Stolen
MI - "Neighbors rushed to his aid to get him back on his sole mode of transportation." more...
$6.5M Grant to Expand Empire State Trail
NY - "...We're going to be building or improving more than 20 miles of new off-road bicycle and pedestrian trails here in the region..." more
Car-Free Day in Paris
FRA - "As part of Paris’s push to drastically limit the number of cars, it’s having its annual day of letting pedestrians see what it would be like if they city was designed entirely for them." more...
- WA: Yakima firefighters, Greenway staff plan solutions for fires
- IRE: Council backs East Cork greenway
- TN: Construction of Phase I greenway project may soon begin
- IRE: Old Youghal railway line to be repurposed as greenway
- WI: Obey 'Trail Closed' signs in marsh
- MN: Fergus Falls adds protected riding area
- ME: New club working with Topsham to add bike trails
- MA: Pedestrian Safety Plan Includes Snow Removal
- MN: Can you give up your car for one day, Minneapolis?
- OR: Portland says e-bike use on park paths is a violation
- WA: Confidential mediation is no way to govern public decisions like bike lanes
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraising Progress
Protected Bike Lane Attracting Riders
Columbus, OH - "When plans for two new bike lanes stretching from Downtown to Hudson Street were first announced in 2015, it was clear that the project was meant to be a departure from the norm for the city." more...
Biking & Parking can Coexist
Richmond, IN - "...On Monday night, Richmond Common Council unanimously voted to kill a proposed ordinance that would have taken back council's approval for the city to spend grant funds on a bike path..." more
The State of Funding for Trails
U.S. - "...The most recent report was just released, summarizing how states used Transportation Alternatives funding in 2017." more...
Woman Killed by E-Bike Rider
UK - "Sakine Cihan was struck by a power-assisted bicycle as she was crossing a road in London." more...
Study: Riding E-Bikes Does not Lead to Health Benefits
"A recent study compared the effect of different modes of transport on the BMI of thousands of European commuters..." more
- FRA: France to triple size of transport cycling in time for the 2024 Olympics
- OR: Police deploy canine, air support units to chase down bike thief
- WA: SDOT finds that Eastlake Ave still needs bike lanes
- NY: Poughkeepsie receives Greenway grant for College Hill Park
- NY: The future for an alternative transport network in the Capital District
- WA: Yakima Greenway fire along I-82 still burning
- NC: Aftermath of Florence's heavy rain in the western Triad
- IRE: Councillor says Greenway extension 'crucial' for local economy
- MA: Rollerblader injured on Provincelands Bike Trail
- IL: Geneva residents concerned bike path extension could increase crime
- IA: KeWash Trailhead Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony
Smoothing the Ride on the Kokosing Gap Trail
Scooter War Hits Cincy
Cincinnati, OH - "Have you tried the new electric scooters in Downtown Cincinnati yet?" more...
Route of the Hiawatha Having Record-Breaking Season
Wallace, ID - "Still with a week left until closing, The Route of the Hiawatha Scenic Bike Trail in the Silver Valley has already set records for visitors this season." more...
Fake Bike Helmets
"...These days, most counterfeits are sold over the Internet, right into your home. And some of them could seriously hurt you." more...
- AUS: Councillors try to stop unwanted bike path
- CA: Changes considered for Vine Trail through St. Helena
- AL: Greenway along the blueway
- IRE: Councillors divided over Western Rail Corridor proposals
- FL: Orlando considers bike sharing regulations
- FL: Why we can’t have nice things in Miami
- FRA: France wants to triple bike use with better cycle lanes
Clare Rail Trail Receives Funding
MI - "Support for an off-road alignment of a popular rail trail in Clare has come in the form of a grant." more...
Proposed Budget Includes Tax Hike for Nickel Plate Trail
Fishers, IN - "...A portion of that increase—1 to 1.5 cents—will go toward a $12 million bond that will be used in part to construct the first phase of the trail..." more
Trail Town Trial Runs
KY - "Four communities will coordinate events this weekend in hopes of inching closer to receiving state designations as Trail Towns." more...
Bike Shops Hurting from Creeper Trail Closure
Damascus, VA - "...Days later, the storm has yet to hit our area, and now local businesses are saying the closure was unnecessary and bad for business." more...
Environmentalists Sue over MTB Trails Project
MN - "A Minnetonka group opposing the construction of mountain biking trails in a local park has sued the city after it rejected a petition for an environmental review of the project." more...
Trails Designed to Withstand Storms
San Antonio, TX - "On rainy days, the city's hike and bike trail system saves lives." more...
The East Coast Greenway Project
U.S. - "...The dream of a 3,000-mile protected biking and walking route, Maine to Florida, represents a commitment and opportunity in each of the 450 communities we connect..." more
- NY: State-funded trail set to connect park with Dutchess Rail Trail
- MA: Bike path group grilled over %50K request
- WA: 3people escape Yakima Greenway fire
- GA: Chattahoochee upgrades would span from Lake Lanier to Newnan
Black River Bikeway Construction Moving Along
Little Miami Trail Crossing Safety Initiative
SW OH - "...At its September 12 meeting, the FLMSP board approved an initiative to improve intersection safety through the marking of crossings in phase 1 and through the posting of trail crossing signs to alert drivers in phase 2..." more
Clintonville Bike Routes Push Back
Columbus, OH - "...Andrew Overbeck, a Clintonville resident... said bicyclists can now ride down any street they want. It makes sense to have a route down Torrence..." more
Recent Trail Attacks Spark Safety Reminders
Geauga County, OH - "...carry a cellphone, pepper spray and if you see something, say something. She suggested people walk or run with a buddy to deter danger." more...
Friends of Little Miami E-News
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Knox County Parks E-News
Knox County, OH - Read the latest edition.
Buhl Park Opens Bike, Skateboard Track
Hermitage, PA - "...Buhl Park quietly opened its pump track and mountain bike trail last week under the name: 'The Tracks'." more...
City Parks Closed for Hurricane Florence
Morgantown, NC - "...The city announced on its Facebook page on Friday that all city parks and the Morganton Greenway System will close at noon Saturday..." more
Delaware Continues Bike Path Building Boom
DE - "A week after opening a $20 million 345-foot wooden bicycle bridge near Wilmington, the state on Wednesday awarded a contract for construction of another pathway, this time in southern Delaware." more...
Bike Industry Veterans Launch New Company
Salt Lake City, UT - "...A spokesman would only say that Trust will be 'introducing a product line in the MTB space.'" more...
- IRE: Groups invited to participate in diversity project on greenway
- IRE: Thurles-Clonmel greenway gets support
- OK: Attorney sues city to stop land transfer for bike trail
- GA: Lenox Square to be transformed into mini parks
- MD: Annapolis mayor, city council clash over Main Street bike lane
- OR: Pressure builds to keep Better Naito in place
Trails Transform America
Dayton, OH - "Watch the video.
$90M Promised for Indiana Trails
IN - "...Announced last week by Gov. Eric Holcomb, the money is aimed at hiking, biking and horseback riding trails that fill in the gaps between existing trails and communities." more...
Family of Cyclist Killed by Trash Truck Reaches $6M Settlement
Philadelphia, PA - "Settlement includes $125,000 to be spent to improve cycling safety in Philadelphia in the name of Emily Fredricks." more...
Adaptive Signals Not Working Well in Seattle
WA - "Things don’t always work as planned. That certainly must be the feeling at the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) after the rollout of high-tech adaptive traffic signals along Mercer Street." more...
City Council Tries to Nix Bike Lane
Richmond, VA - "A bid to nix a North Richmond bike lane encountered spirited pushback Tuesday from more than 250 people, many of them cyclists..." more
Makeshift "Speed Bump" Takes Down Cycling Group
AUS - "A homemade bump in the road apparently aimed at 'noisy' motor vehicles has left a group of early morning cyclists in a mangled heap." more...
The Dutch Vision for Sustainable Transportation
CA - "As part of San Francisco's Global Climate Action Summit, Dutch representatives discuss policies for low-to-no emissions mobility." more...
Fatal Truck Crashes Surge in U.S.
"...More than 4,300 people were killed in collisions with semis and other large trucks in 2016, a 28 percent increase over 2009, according to the federal government..." more
- FL: Deputy chases speeding car down sidewalk
- OR: PBOT explains why they’re making it harder to drive
- TN: Bear euthanized after body of missing man found
- SC: Suspect sought in assault of 2 women on West Ashley Greenway
- UK: Over £500,000 to improve Greenway in heart of Waterside
- IA: Award-winning bike trail celebrates fifth anniversary
- NM: Popular hiking trail re-route, bike trail construction
- NV: Bike path to connect Elko to Trail Center
Univ. of Cincinnati Converts Sidewalk to Trail
Cincinnati, OH - "Did you know @uofcincy recently converted the sidewalk along Jefferson Ave into a trail from University Ave to Classen Park?.." more
The State of Alternative Transportation in Columbus
Columbus, OH - "Over the course of the last five years, there has been a lot of transportation news in Columbus..." more
9-Year-Old Hospitalized from Hit-and-Run
Philadelphia, PA - "The 9-year-old girl was riding a bicycle on the 200 block of Lindley Avenue Monday shortly before 7:30 p.m. when she was struck by a vehicle which fled the scene." more...
New Greenway Trail Coming to Evansville
IN - "The paving along Highway 41 for a new Hi-Rail Greenway trail is underway..." more
5 Things to Know About Baltimore's Bike Lane Dispute
MD - "A City Council bill that would repeal part of Baltimore’s fire code to allow new bike lanes and encourage development projects is awaiting Mayor Catherine Pugh’s signature." more...
Pump Thefts Lead to Flooded Bike Path
Madison, WI - "Madison city officials say the theft of nearly all of the pumps along Lake Monona at the Capital City Bike Trail resulted in the path being closed from more than eight inches of water." more...
Sabotaged Bike Share Brakes May Have Caused Crash
Seattle, WA - "An 18-year-old who was hospitalized this week after a crash near the University Bridge may be the first victim of a bike share vandal who cut the brake lines on his Lime e-bike." more...
We're Designing Bike Lanes Wrong
"More trees, please." more...
New Data on U.S. Bike Commuting
"The Census Bureau has released the 2017 1-year estimates for how people are commuting to work based on the American Community Survey." more...
Pedego Shifts Some E-Bike Production to Vietnam
CA - "...DiCostanzo, who has had most of his company's e-bikes made in China since starting the business in 2008, wasn't anticipating the U.S. tariffs..." more
- ID: Portneuf Greenway Foundation unveils Marshall-Racine trail system
- AUS: Sydney Trains delays causing chaos for the GreenWay
- IA: New extension coming soon to Summerset Trail in Indianola
- IL: Palatine Secures Federal Grant To Build Harper College Bike Path
- FL: Tallahassee man sexually assaulted woman
- MA: Eagle Scout candidate's trail project completed
- AZ: Dockless, electric scooters are banned from Tucson streets
- LA: Locals can use the city’s bike-share program for free this month
- OR: $1M approved for next phase of Gateway Green bike park
- TX: Rash of bike thefts in EaDo
- NH: Manchester cop unchains bike, gives it to wrong guy
Feds Reject Company's Request to Acquire Rail Line
Warren, OH - "...Still open is the possibility the Trumbull County MetroParks will be granted access to the line to construct the final phase of the Western Reserve Greenway hike and bike trail." more...
E-Scooters Banned from Columbus Sidewalks
OH - "The ban of electronic scooters on city of Columbus sidewalks proposed by mayor Andrew Ginther is now in effect." more...
Trailside Prairie Restoration
Detroit's Ambitious Transportation Plan
MI - "...The city released an extensive plan to address many of the challenges facing transportation in Detroit." more...
Mid-Atlantic Retailers Brace for Hurricane
Southport, NC - "...Jones spent the day boarding up the new location of City Bicycle Co. ahead of Thursday's expected arrival of Hurricane Florence." more...
Separated Bike Infrastructure is Preferred
"...The results indicated a clear preference for trails — off-road routes through parks — over any other type of infrastructure..." more
Things You Might Not Know About Cycling
"...The routine behaviors of people who ride in the street with traffic are often met with confusion or even incredulity by those who have never attempted it..." more
Uber Was Right
"The scooter backlash vindicates Travis Kalanick’s early tactics." more...
- FL: More bike lanes, angled parking planned for St. Petersburg streets
- RI: E-bike sharing system hitting the street in downtown Providence
- CT: Fairfield Health Department offers free bike share to residents
- OR: There are crossing flags at a NE Portland intersection
- WA: Cascade launches campaign to promote city-wide bike network
- MT: Keep Bikes Rolling in Montana
- UK: Western Rail Corridor greenway campaign moves up a gear
- IRE: €53m worth of funding for Greenway projects
- MN: Three Rivers Parks gets $100K grant for bike trail
- AK: City of Little Rock considers adding bike lanes
Stark Parks Trail Closures Due to Flooding
Stark County, OH - Towpath Trail: "Several inches of rain over the weekend have flooded many sections of the trail. The trail is closed until further notice."
Mahoning Valley Trail: "Water is over the trail in many areas and closed from Gaskill St. to Rockhill Ave. after several inches of rain over the weekend. This portion of the trail is closed until further notice."
$1M Bond for Berlin Lake Trail Rape Suspect
Ravenna, OH - "...He faces one count of rape, with additional charges expected after the case is presented to a grand jury." more...
$2.4M in Donations to MetroParks
Canfield, OH - "Mill Creek MetroParks Development Director Chris Litton reported Monday the MetroParks has brought in more than $2.4 million in private donations so far this year. That is substantially more than the previous annual totals..." more
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Boy Gets New Bike After His is Stolen
Solon, OH - "A 10-year-old boy says he was heartbroken when someone stole his bike." more...
Using Pool Noodles to Combat Dangerous Drivers
CAN - "...A soft, simple, harmless tube that some cyclists are choosing to mount under their seats so that cars learn to leave one-metre’s distance when passing them on the road..." more
E-Scooter Use Increasing Trips to the Emergency Room
"...Injuries are coming in fast and furious..." more
Your Responsibilities as a Cyclist
"This is a sentence you often hear that's completely untrue: 'Cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers'..." more
- CA: California could soon end helmet law
- OR: Man just can't stop driving; now he's going to prison
- MN: Minneapolis wants more neighborhood destinations
- NC: Law firm to host meeting over Cleveland County rail trail
- CA: Search On For Who Attacked Man On Popular Bike Trail
- DE: $22.5 million Markell bike-hike trail opens
- TX: Runners, bikers excited for new guardrail on popular Austin trail
- VA: 2018 Roanoke Valley Greenway Plan being presented
- NV: Woman on motorized wheelchair dies after hit by truck in Henderson
- UK: Masked man reportedly fired at a man walking on the Connswater Greenway
- MN: Winona City Council reaffirms support for Flyway Trail
Columbus-Area Trail Alert
Columbus, OH - From Columbus MetroParks, "Please use caution, there is silt build up on the trails from the rainstorms and trails may be slick."
Grant Could Help Fund Trail
Forty Fort, PA - "A state grant could help pay for part of a proposed bike and walking trail in Forty Fort and Kingston." more...
Cheshire Celebrates Opening of New Trail Section
CT - "Children who grew up learning to bike on the fledgling Farmington Heritage Canal Trail decades ago can now ride 34 uninterrupted miles with the unveiling of the completed 0.8 mile gap on Sunday." more...
A Little History Regarding Irish Greenways
IRE - "...The Mayo and Waterford greenways, which opened in 2010 and 2017, respectively, are cited as the ‘forerunners’ of the movement." more...
- GA: Savannah e-scooter ban planned to get ahead of fast-moving start-ups
- OR: Portland police say they are too busy to watch for drunken drivers
- CAN: Jennifer Keesmaat announces bold road safety plan for Toronto
- GA: Friends of Memorial Drive Greenway launch campaign for Linear Park
Barnesville Trail to Become Reality
Barnesville, OH - "...the cost to the village would be $95,000 for the $2,145,000 project, which will convert the old B&O Railroad bed through the village into a walking and bike trail and pay for major repairs to the railroad tunnel so it can safely accommodate the trail..." more
LMST Section to be Rerouted
Bike-Friendly Improvements Coming to Clintonville
Clintonville, OH - "...New markings will be painted on certain streets and new signs will be installed, with the goal of establishing a bike-friendly network that will connect a variety of destinations..." more
It's Official - Kentucky gets Safe Passing Law
KY - "...Governor Bevin signed HB33 which says that motorists are to give 3 ft of clearance when passing a bicycle..." more
NTN Trail Extension Merits/Concerns
MI - "Although it’s not quite a done deal just yet, Marquette Township is clearly making progress on the establishment of a half-mile non-motorized pathway..." more
Nickel Plate Trail Faces Key Vote
IN - "Fishers officials on Monday could approve $275,000 in contracts to two companies to design and market the city's planned stretch of the Nickel Plate Trail." more...
New 4-MIle Stretch of Trail Opens on Eastside Rail Corridor
WA - "The transformation of abandoned BNSF train tracks into a trail for pedestrians and cyclists continues..." more
- NY: Frankfort mayor objects to trail maintenance costs
- CA: Man shot and killed on bike trail bridge
- GA: Members of UGA, Athens biking community promote safety for pedestrians, bikers
- VT: Burlington Greenway updates for September
- CT: Branford to Cut Ribbon on Shoreline Greenway Trail's Tabor
Protesters Disrupt Groundbreaking for Lakefront Trail
Euclid, OH - "More than 100 labor union demonstrators disrupted the ceremonial groundbreaking for the newest stage of the city's waterfront improvement project Thursday." more...
Suspect Arrested for Sexual Assaults on Trail
Deerfield Twp., OH - "Authorities have arrested a suspect who allegedly sexually assaulted two women on the Berlin Hike and Bike Trail in Deerfield Township earlier this summer, according to the Portage County Sheriff's Office." more...
Questions Remain about Solon to Chagrin Falls Trail
Solon, OH - "The fate of the proposed Solon to Chagrin Falls Trail has yet to be decided." more...
Man Dies after Bike Crash
Logan County, OH - "Headed home after a long bicycle ride in Logan County last week, Clifton “Butch” Sower might have been trying to avoid a large turtle before he was found thrown from his bike on Route 287." more...
Caution Urged at New Trail Crossing
Chardon, OH - "Chardon drivers need to pay better attention to the new Maple Highlands Trail crossing on Center Street, according to local residents who say they witnessed what could have become a deadly accident..." more
Another Mosquito with West Nile Virus Found
Veteran Brutally Beaten on Rio Linda Bike Trail
CA - "According to Sacramento Police, 73-year-old Chuck Lane was attacked while riding his bike home..." more
PBOT's Bike Traffic Circles
Portland, OR - "Portland traffic engineers and planners have a new favorite treatment when two bike routes intersect: a traffic circle!" more...
The Town Where Jaywalking can Cost You Hundreds
Columbia, SC - "Man gets ticket for $232, 4 points on his license." more...
Domestic Rack Makers Favor Proposed Tariffs
UT - "Saris's owner said his company has been 'abandoned by bicycle trade and industry groups' who sided with importers." more...
- UK: London boroughs to impose ultra-low emission zones
- OR: Medford Police sweep greenway after grass fires
- MO: Architecture Professor Among Design Team Selected for Chouteau Greenway
- VA: BOS tables controversial bike trail
- DE: Jack A. Markell bike trail officially opens
- WI: Damaged, closed bike trails force cyclists to re-route
- OK: Bicycles & Gathering Place: What You Need To Know
Temporary Towpath Closures Coming 9/10/18
Summit County, OH - From Summit Metro Parks, "Beginning Monday, 9/10 and continuing for approximately one week, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources will be cutting weeds in the canal along the Towpath Trail. This work will include some temporary trail closures on the section of the trail just south of the Manchester Road Trailhead."
E-Scooter Regulations Coming to Columbus
OH - "Enjoy it while it lasts, Columbus. The days of electric scooters zooming along city sidewalks are nearing an end." more...
Niles Awarded Trail Connection Grant
IL - "A $30,000 transportation grant will offset engineering costs for a multimodal trail connecting the North Branch Chicago River Trail to the Touhy Triangle through Bunker Hill Forest Preserve in Niles." more...
Transients Start Greenway Fire While Smoking Meth
Medford, OR - "Two men are in police custody, accused of starting a fire in the Bear Creek Greenway after smoking meth and losing control of a cook fire." more...
Olympic Champ a Paraplegic after Track Crash
Berlin, GER - "Sprint world and Olympic champion Kristina Vogel reveals she is wheelchair-bound after training crash." more...
Felt Refreshes its Brand
CA - "Felt Bicycles has rebranded, with a new logo, new corporate colors, and a new website." more...
Driver Attacks Cyclist with Machete, Dies
CHN - "Chinese police determined that the rider acted in self-defense." more...
- DE: Wilmington to New Castle bike trail
- IL: New Mural Brings Spotlight to Chicago Bike Trail
- OK: Councilors accept bid on bike trail property
- OK: River Parks trail gets a whole new look
- DE: Newark Police look for man who exposed himself along bike trail
- OR: PBOT delays protected lane in Kenton
- WA: The Eastside Rail Trail grows
- MN: Park Tool sues Real World Cycling over tool color
- VT: New Bike Trail Part Of Newport's Lake-Focused Development Plan
- WI: Annual bike fundraiser allows rides through Zoo
- ID: Dedication ceremony for the Marshall-Racine Greenway Trail
- WA: Brush fire along Yakima Greenway considered suspicious
Rolling Closures Coming to Creekside Trail Sept. 19
Greene County, OH - "We've received word that the Creekside Trail in Greene County will experience temporary and rolling closures beginning Sept. 19, for three weeks as an overlay of asphalt is applied..." more
NCIT Detour in Monroeville
OH - "The railroad crossing at Peru Center Road is currently CLOSED, (where the trail crosses the tracks in Monroeville). Thru traffic on the NCIT should detour via Peru Center Rd, US 20, SR 547 and SR 99..." more
Testing "Bird Cages" in Cincy
Cincinnati, OH - "...When the Bird scooters landed in Cincinnati earlier this month, we decided to take a different approach. Why not embrace, observe, and quickly test solutions as issues emerged related to this new innovation?.." more
3 Feet Law Signing in Kentucky
KY - "Governor Bevin will do the ceremonial signing of HB33, the safer passing law for bicycles AKA 3 ft. law..." more
Safer Streets for All
Philadelphia, PA - "As cities change, so too do the amenities that its residents desire." more...
MoGo Bike Share & Lyft Start Partnership
Detroit, MI - "...The bus system has partnered with both Lyft—a ride-hailing service, and MoGo—the city’s bike share, to help riders with connections. Now Lyft and MoGo are partnering themselves." more...
Obsessing Over Bike Helmets
"...The big problem here is of course, the fact that it is a hit-and-run; without that and the video, nobody would be paying attention. The second problem is the almost universal helmet obsession..." more
Big-Wheel MTBs Sales are Strong
Boulder, CO - "Retail sales of 29-inch mountain bikes grew $36 million in the 12 months ending in June, taking dollar share from 27.5-inch bikes..." more
- NJ: Trail Funding Will Be Wasted if We Don’t Take Action
- LA: Temporary, protected lanes coming to New Orleans
- OR: PBOT’s ambitious Central City in Motion project
- CA: San Jose hit-and-run that injured 2 children caught on camera
- NYC: Anatomy of a Bike Lane Debacle
- NY: Grand opening of River-to-Ridge Trail in New Paltz this Saturday
- TX: Increase in traffic fatalities, serious injuries should be a wake-up call
Section Repaving Completed along Alum Creek Trail
ODOT Plans Bike Lanes along US 52
Hamilton County, OH - "The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) intends to install bike lanes along US-52 within the existing shoulder space and install signs to connect to the existing bike path..." more
Repurposing Riverside Drive
Toledo, OH - "...Toledo is willing to surrender Riverside Drive, turn it and two parcels of land over to Metroparks and let Metroparks change the landscape at the Marina District." more...
Police Crack Down on Homeless Camps along Trails
Murfreesboro, TN - "...Police are sending a word of warning to the homeless community who are often camped out in the woods along the city’s Greenway walking trails." more...
Hit-and-Run Driver Sentenced to 10 Months
TN - "The driver in the July 2017 Natchez Trace hit-and-run involving a cyclist was sentenced to 10 months in jail today by a U.S. District Court." more...
- UK: Police to test drivers' eyesight and confiscate licences if they fail
- UK: 62% badge cycling on roads “too dangerous”
- OR: PBOT announces early end to Better Naito
- WA: UW Police are piloting bike valet and registration service
- OR: Bear Creek Greenway fires under investigation
- IRE: Agreement can be reached over €20m Kerry greenway
- TN: La Vergne opens new greenway
- IRE: Great Western Greenway to link up with north Mayo
- WA: Patriot moves to fight rails-to-trails project
- DE: A Bridge to the Future of Rails to Trails in Milton
Heartland Trail Construction to Begin Soon
Wayne County, OH - "...the long awaited 2.4 miles stretch of The Heartland Trail from Forrer Road (Orrville) to Marshallville will soon be under construction..."
Learn more in the Wayne County Rail-Trails newsletter.
Battle Over Abandoned Rail Corridor
Aurora, OH - "The city is battling Norfolk Southern Railway and FirstEnergy over a railroad right-of-way that slices diagonally through the city." more...
$2B Ohio Entertainment Complex Plans
Columbus, OH - "...Among its many features: a saltwater lake with a beach and boardwalk; an indoor roller coaster; an extreme-sports facility for surfing, skateboarding and BMX biking; an e-sports arena..." more
Sleeping Bear Trail Meeting Packs Hall
Maple City, MI - "A standing-room-only crowd gathered in Cleveland Township Hall in rural Maple City to participate in a route-planning session for an extension to the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail..." more
Woman Fights Off Sexual Assault
MA - "A Massachusetts mother says she will head to court Tuesday to face her attacker, days after she says he violated her on a popular bike trail in Saugus." more
Using Red Light Cameras to Enforce Bus / Bike Lanes?
"...According to a database compiled by traffic enthusiasts Jonathan Melby and Angela Buffington, there are over 4,000 traffic cameras in the United States: most of these only record cars that run through red lights..." more
Uber is Building Its Own Scooters
"The company is playing catch-up in a market already flush with billion-dollar startups." more...
- MO: Kansas City considers ‘Road Diets’ for Midtown
- AZ: The jaywalking problem in Arizona
- GA: Bridge over Victory Drive not like one that collapsed
- IRE: East Coast Greenway petition reaches 10,000 signatures
- CAN: City of Vancouver to sell part of Arbutus corridor back to CP for $1
Put Trail on East Side of Olentangy River?
Columbus, OH - "...The Greenway Trail route proposed along the higher ridge to the east and safely removed from 315 is now still the only sensible connection to safely ride, run or walk to Highbanks..." more
Bella Vista Trail Expansion
AR - "The city of Bella Vista will soon add 50 more miles of trails to the central part of the city." more...
197 Landowners Told of Compulsory Purchase Orders for Greenway
IRE - "Council says it has to force land sales after failing to reach agreement after four years." more...
Why Aren't Helmets Mandatory for Drivers?
"...we know that more people get traumatic brain injuries in cars than anywhere else..." more
- TN: State grant to extend bike lane to Bonnaroo
- IA: Mount Trashmore trails, overlook to open Thursday
- CO: US Forest Service gives green light to Palisade Plunge
- IRE: Slieve Bloom bike trails a welcome boost for rural areas
- MO: Clayton plans Maryland Avenue bike lanes separated from driving lanes
- AR: Bentonville Man Arrested For Masturbating On Trail
High Water & Flooding Debris on Trails
Columbus, OH - From Columbus MetroParks, "Please use caution. Flooding and storm debris along sections of trails. Crews conducting clean up."
Work to Keep Trail Open During Flooding
Madison, WI - "...The Capital City Trail bike path opened Saturday morning at the Monona Terrace between Blair and Broom Streets. Sandbags and pumps are being used to keep the path open..." more
- NY: Columbia County may widen roads for Empire State Trail
- WI: Ahnapee Trail Extension officially open
- CA: North Coast trail bill re-imagines SMART rail operations
- CA: Work continues on third phase of Ukiah Rail Trail
- NY: Investigators blaming bicyclist for Phillips Road crash
Towpath Trail Development Near Dover
Tuscarawas County, OH - "Last Saturday, August 25, Tuscarawas County volunteers cleared land in Zoarville for future trail development. The trail runs south of the current Towpath Trail terminus in Zoar and along the Tuscarawas River toward Dover..." more
For more news, visit the 2018 Archive.