Regional, U.S. & International News
Towpath Now Connects with Merwin's Wharf
Cleveland, OH - "...Saturday's Opening Day for Trails 2019 event allowed hundreds of cyclists the opportunity to enjoy the Towpath Trail's newly completed Stage 3 and preview the future Stage 4..." more
Little Miami Trail Detour
Springfield, OH - "The Ohio Department of Transportation is currently working on the I-70 bridge at Springfield-Xenia Road, north of Beatty Station (on Little Miami Scenic Trail). There is a detour to Springfield-Xenia, so riders will have to ride along the road for that stretch..." more
Simon Kenton Trail Maintenance Closures
CSX Possibly One Step away from Salvaging Tracks
Warren, OH - "...The Trumbull County MetroParks had until early January to reach an agreement with CSX to use part of the line as the final county leg of the Western Reserve Greenway hike-and-bike trail, but the MetroParks could not come up with the $2.8 million CSX needed for the line..." more
Teen Foils Bike Theft
Wooster, OH - "...Tilton, a senior at Smithville High School and employee at the McDonald’s on Wooster’s North End, was on his break around 3 p.m. April 7 when he saw a boy take off on a bike..." more
Thousands of Children to Receive Bike Helmets
Columbus, OH - "This spring, 9,000 children within the state of Ohio will receive bicycle helmets, thanks to the 'Put A Lid On it!' campaign." more...
Safety Improvements Underway at Busy Intersection
Cleveland Heights, OH - "Cyclists, pedestrians and motorists traveling between Cleveland Heights and University Circle will no longer need to navigate the daunting sea of asphalt and confusing traffic movements at the intersection of Edgehill and Overlook roads." more...
Ann Arbor Licenses Spin
MI - "...The first resolution addressed was the licensing of Spin, Inc. as the only serviceable electric scooter in Ann Arbor..." more
Pennsylvania to Close Popular Hiking Trail
Jim Thorpe, PA - "...The Pennsylvania Game Commission has decided to close Glen Onoko because of longstanding concerns about the trail's safety, prompting backlash and bewilderment from hikers and nature lovers..." more
Greenway Stalemate Lingers in Roanoke
VA - "...the company also argued the industrial site and recreational greenway are not compatible. And bringing the greenway near the foundry could jeopardize its permits and jobs." more...
Funding Sought for Rock Island Trail
MO - " The Missouri House on Tuesday endorsed the creation of a private endowment that would help fund a proposed 144-mile bike trail across the state." more...
9-Year-Old Watches Thief Steal his Bike
TX - "A 9-year-old Texas boy caught a thief stealing his bike from his own front yard..." more
Making Streetcar Tracks Safer for Bicyclists
D.C. - "One of the most common safety issues with streetcar tracks around the world is that bicycle tires get caught in them..." more
Injuries Force Lyft to Hit Brakes on E-Bikes
"...So it was a real disappointment late Sunday when the ride-hail company announced it would remove all of its electric bicycles—at least for the time being—due to reports of injury..." more
- MA: ValleyBike Share ends use of anonymous cards to prevent damage to rental bikes
- CO: Denver traffic deaths are rising despite changes
- CA: San Diego unveils dockless scooter parking spots
- AR: Largest Bike-Share Program Sees Uptick in Vandalism
- TX: Man found passed out on bike trail
- MT: Fairgrounds preps for bike/hike trail connectors
- VT: Work on Montpelier bike path extension underway
- OR: Bill that clarifies bike lanes through intersections passes committee
- KS: Overland Park adding 70 miles of bike lanes
- WY: Councilors agree to keep and extend Snow King Ave bike lanes
- NJ: Grant Awarded for Expansion of Bike Path
- NC: Raleigh's busy Oberlin Road to make way for bikes, pedestrians
Flooding Affects Trails in Stark County
No Additional Elevation Work for Trail Extension
Dragon Trail Expected to be a National Attraction
MI - "Construction could begin this year on a 47-mile hiking and biking trail that would encircle a dam-formed pond in West Michigan." more...
Indiana Pacers Bike Share Set To Expand
IN - "The Indiana Pacers Bike Share program plans to roll out over 23 new stations this summer in the downtown area and in nearby neighborhoods..." more
Cyclist Beaten in Road Rage Incident
Milwaukee, WI - "A Milwaukee man said he was riding his bicycle home from lunch on Saturday, April 13 when two men attacked him on the road." more...
Rewards for Ditching Your Car Commute
"From London to Sacramento, nudging commuters towards low-emission transportation modes." more...
Indoor Cycling Spikes As Transport Cycling Declines
UK - "While walking for transport is on the up and up, cycle commuting is on a downward slope, reveals Sport England’s third annual Active Travel survey..." more
- TX: Mayor announces pedestrian safety measures in wake of fatal crash
- D.C.: Capital Bikeshare electric bikes temporarily removed after brake issues
- NC: Plans for new bike lanes
- CA: Why aren’t the bridges over the 710 being harnessed for safety?
- WA: Union Street Bike Lane Perpetuates Broken Network
- TN: Great Smoky Mountains hosting volunteer work days
- FL: Commission hits pause button on Pinellas Trail project
- NY: 417 bridge project OK’d
- GA: Ceramic head was found near a bike path
- MA: The rail trail with a beaver problem
Heartland Trail Update
Wayne County, OH - "...work is once again underway on the current 2.4-mile project of The Heartland Trail from Forrer Road to Marshallville. Completion of the project is anticipated for May. A ribbon cutting date will be announced when ready..."
To learn more, read the latest e-news from Wayne County Rails-to-Trails.
Cycling Activists Rally for Protected Bike Lanes
San Diego, CA - "Community members formed a human barrier along 30th Street in North Park to protect bike riders during a family friendly ride." more...
Plug Pulled on E-Bike Fleet
NYC - "...Citi Bike announced early Sunday that it would pull all its popular pedal-assist bikes off the road after reports that some riders had experienced “stronger than expected braking force on the front wheel.” more...
KC Bike Plan Will Save Lives, Boost Economy
Kansas City, MO - "Economic Impact Analysis shows new bike master plan will save 36 lives every year, add $500 million to the regional economy, and create 12,000 jobs." more...
- CA: San Francisco finds controlled scooter pilot a success
- WA: Police, pedestrians talk crosswalk conundrum
- VA: New 'flow trail' in Roanoke park
- TX: Contract approved for South Belton trail
- CAN: Mission Creek Greenway trail rerouting begins
- AR: Funding for trail in Fayetteville
- NY: Campus Bike-Share Rides Under the Radar
- CAN: Repaving threatens to close popular Cannon cycling lanes for the summer
- CA: Ford GoBike suspends electric-bike service after braking issues reported
Western Reserve Greenway Meeting
State Route 91 Work in Hudson
OH - "A $4.4 million project to install left turn lanes in three locations along state Route 91, add sidewalks and bike lanes and improve storm sewers and lighting is expected to occur next year..." more
Kokosing Volunteers Do Maintenance Sweep
Martinsburg Sees Resurgence in Rec Trail Development
Martinsburg, WV - "Fifteen years after a schematic design plan was completed for a walking and biking trail along the Tuscarora Creek in the Martinsburg area, a renewed effort has surfaced to make the proposed recreational project a reality..." more
Celebrating Rail Trail Opening Day
Salem, WV - "The Salem community joined others across the nation Saturday to celebrate 'Opening Day' on their local rail trails." more...
Sunnyvale Re-Evaluates Bike Share Program
CA - "...Garnett says the City is open to partnering with another company on a bike share program, but Lime was the only one that applied when the City was taking bids last year..." more
- MD: trail season opens in Baltimore
- IRE: Kildare's Grand Canal Greenway to be finished by end of 2021
- IRE: Amount of cycle lanes in Ennis “is laughable”
- UK: Cyclist blasts ‘lazy’ cops who parked their motors across Glasgow bike lane
- ME: Volunteer groups hope to build a mountain-bike trail network
- WI: bill seeks to elevate status of 2 state trails
- GA: Council moves forward with plan for trail extensions
Bellville Bike Depot Renovations
Bellville, OH - "Bellville Mayor Teri Brenkus cut the ribbon Friday morning during a ceremony celebrating the improvements to the Bellville Bike Depot." more...
Groups Collaborate for $20M Initiative
Mt. Vernon, OH - "...The presentation, titled ‘Access to Opportunity,’ detailed major projects that the city, school district and university will be working on together, simultaneously, over the next year." more...
Cyclists Slow Traffic in Protest
Atlanta, GA - "...About 100 cyclists slowed early morning rush hour traffic to a crawl not far from the Candler Park MARTA station to raise concerns about the need for sidewalks and bike lanes..." more
New Transport Bill Could Open Up More Money for Trails
U.S. - "...the Senate is also considering the next big transportation bill—and they heard about the need to build trails and active transportation infrastructure loud and clear..." more
Ask Your Senator to Support the S.1098 Act
U.S. - "...On Tuesday, Senators Ben Cardin (D-Md.) and Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) introduced the S.1098, the Transportation Alternatives Enhancements Act to help communities like yours build better bicycling and walking infrastructure..." more
- CAN: Unique bike lanes could be coming to Kitchener
- CAN: Are the Victoria bike lanes too narrow?
- CT: Resident Makes ‘Safe Bike’ Donation To Town
- VA: Abingdon Urban Pathway officially opens
- SD: Additional parks and trails reopen
- OR: Urban trail gets pushback
- MO: New Trail Honoring Veterans Opens
- NY: Thieves Steal Delivery Man's Food and Bike
$20K Grant for Towpath Construction
New Philadelphia, OH - "City officials have taken the first steps toward bringing the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail to New Philadelphia, which is slated to be the southern terminus of the 101-mile-long hiking and biking trail." more...
Bike Lanes Planned for Lorain
Bar Owner Battling Trail Builders
Cleveland, OH - "...Last year, Cleveland Metroparks began finalizing plans that would eliminate about 12 to 15 parking spaces along Franklin Avenue to make room for a bike path connecting the Red Line Greenway to the Centennial Lake Link Trail..." more
New Bike Share for Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH - "...Mobility installs private, customized bike-sharing systems in low-income neighborhoods where people typically cannot afford the increasing cost of public transportation..." more
CVNP Signals River Restoration Projects
CVNP, OH - "...In 2019, CVNP is embarking on a number of large-scale restoration projects within the 22 miles of river between Cleveland and Akron..." more
Cyclist in Critical Condition Following Crash
Cleveland, OH - "A cyclist is in critical condition after being hit in Cleveland on Thursday morning." more...
Delaware County Trails Assistance Program
OH - "Three multi-use trail projects in Delaware County have been selected by the Delaware County Trails Committee to receive funding from its assistance program." more...
Knox County Parks E-News
Read the spring newsletter.
Frankfort Tests "Color Pavement" Bike Lanes
KY - "...The green, glass beads bond with epoxy on the pavement to add color to the cityscape and traction for cyclists in damp weather." more...
Steuben County Earns Statewide Trails Award
IN - "...We excitedly believe that this investment in trails is the beginning of a new wave of continued annual support for trails in Steuben County..." more
Roosevelt Road Path Project Progresses
MI - " Lincoln Township has secured enough funding to move forward on the Roosevelt Road non-motorized path project..." more
"Phone Addicts" May Have Killed Over 6,000 Pedestrians
"A shocking Zendrive study finds people on the phone 10 percent of the time, but hey, they think they are safe drivers." more...
Crowdfunding Can Reduce Risk of "Bikelash"
"...it looks like crowdfunding, raising money collectively and online, helps ensure that local communities will welcome [bike] infrastructure. more...
- NY: Petition to ban bike lane on Queens Blvd.
- CAN: Kitchener bike lanes would allow cyclists to go both ways on one-way streets
- OR: Residents oppose Greenway expansion
- RI: Woonasquatucket Greenway Upgrades on the Way
- IL: Canton Bike Share program opens
- MA: Micromobility in Boston
- CA: Over 100 scooters impounded in first six months of pilot program
- GA: Slow Roll’ bike protest planned during Friday morning commute
- IL: What Should We Do About Cyclists Who Don’t Play By the Rules?
- CA: Hikers missing in Southern California mountains found safe
- CO: As trail construction begins, residents say communication from city is poor
- FL: St. Pete’s ‘complete streets’ push
- OR: Another person hit and killed while crossing North Fessenden
Ohio E-Bike Laws
"...In November 2018, Ohio passed House Bill 250 to establish requirements for using electric bicycles." more...
Camp Chase Trail Construction
County Explores Bike Path Project Design Change
Athens, OH - "Elevating a portion of a new bike path to make it flood less often could end up costing Athens County more than $100,000 if the county commissioners decide they want to pursue the corrective action." more...
Cyclist Strikes Child on Hudson River Greenway
NY - "...In 2018, five pedestrians reported to police they were hit by cyclists in the neighborhood. Twelve reported they were struck in 2017..." more
Divvy Deal Passes in Chicago
IL - "...Today the City Council approved the Divvy contract amendment, which will add 10,500 publicly-controlled electric-assist bikes; expand the system citywide..." more
Mayor Joins Fight Against Sidewalks
WI - "A group of Port Washington residents who live near Upper Lake Park told the Board of Public Works Tuesday that sidewalks are not needed in their neighborhood, and Mayor Marty Becker said he would veto any effort to install sidewalks there." more...
Bike Lanes are Making Commuting More Dangerous
UK - "Bike lanes are making commuting for cyclists more dangerous and a fresh approach to further protect those using them is required, a study has found." more...
Distracted Driving is Killing Us
"...Pedestrian fatalities are at a 30-year high, primarily due to distracted driving, according to Zendrive’s study..." more
- VA: Mount Vernon Bike Trail Turns 47
- NY: Saratoga Springs moves forward with once controversial bike and walking trail
- IRE: Farmer liability remains a greenway issue
- TX: Will electric scooters doom downtown's bike program?
- NY: City unveils infrastructure plan featuring tiny bike lane
- UK:People are nominating the most dangerous cycle lanes in Edinburgh
- IL: In Wake Of Fatalities, Niles Working To Improve Pedestrian, Cycling Plan
- D.C.: To increase bike safety and ridership, DC needs protected bike lanes
- CO: Denver thieves to snatch a U-Lock protected bike
- OR: Senate committee passes ‘Idaho Stop’ bill
- OR: Unpaved road fans raise red flag over Clackamas County forest project
- OK: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Pawnee County
Cleveland Needs More Than Painted Bike Lanes
OH - "...crashes involving pedestrians and cyclists are up from east to west, from deaths to more minor collisions..." more
Towpath Trail Surface Repairs
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "... Trail crews are working to smooth out the trail surface (beginning north and working south) throughout April. We encourage use of the Olde Muskingum Trail [in Canal Fulton] parallel to the Towpath Trail from Cherry St. to 40 Corners..."
Work Starting on Bike/Ped Path in Goshen
IN - "After eight years of planning, work is finally starting. It's for a bike and pedestrian path along Goshen's 9th Street." more...
Next Leg of Allegheny Twp. Trail to be Completed this Summer
PA - "Work on the next leg of the Wynn and Clara Tredway Trail could begin by the end of April." more...
Free Bike Share Program in Lackawanna County
PA - "Inspiring people to enjoy the fresh air and support local businesses is the goal of a Free Bike Sharing Program in Lackawanna County." more...
UM Launches Zagster Bike Share
MI - "...The University plans to install three Zagster bike racks, one at the University Center, one at the Fairlane campus and one at The Union at Dearborn. Each rack will have five bikes." more...
E-Scooter Legislation Worries Bike Advocates
CO - "Proposed bills across the U.S. would put bicycles and e-bikes on the same legal footing as the micromobility devices." more...
Jim Sayer to Step Down at Adventure Cycling
MT - "Adventure Cycling Association announced Tuesday that Jim Sayer will step down as executive director by the end of 2019, after 15 years at the helm..." more
Lower Speed Limits Save Lives
" Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says over five precent of deaths on the roads are due to higher speed limits." more...
- CAN: Sidewalk Labs is under pressure to explain its smart city dream
- WA: Community organizes to celebrate NE 65th St bike lanes
- MA: Beavers dig Norwottuck Rail Trail
- TX: Project Catalyst and Country Club Creek Trail: An ‘inopportune’ overlap
- IA: Cedar Rapids changes bike, scooter rules
- CAN: Charlottetown council drops two-way bike lane project
- NY: Bill Calls for Cameras to Go Up to Ticket Drivers in Bike Lanes
- NZL: Wellington cyclists form 'people-protected' bike lane through central city
- NC: Currituck County’s Corolla Greenway wins Mobi Award
- IRE:Great Southern Greenway to be ‘a world class visitor experience’
- WA: Seattle's draft Bicycle Master Plan cuts down on promises to bikers
New Bridge Will Include Bike Lanes
Liberty Township Trail Underway
Cincinnati, OH - "By the end of summer a one-mile, paved path will connect Millikin Road and the northern end of Cherokee Park, near the fishing pond." more...
Lights Along the Towpath Trail
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Riverfront Trail set to be Paved
Ashland, KY - "The Ashland riverfront trail will soon be paved in asphalt, replacing the crumb rubber that previously covered the path." more...
Bike Lanes Growing in Detroit
MI - "Back in 2007, there were about 13 miles of bike lanes in Detroit. Today? There’s nearly 240, almost all of which have been laid down in the last few years." more...
Ann Arbor Agrees to Fund Bike Share Program
MI - "...The program includes 12 stations stocked with 125 bicycles that can be used from 5 a.m. to midnight everyday through November..." more
Pennsy Greenway Extension to Bring New Life to Downtown
Schererville, IN - "...Having the trail pass through the downtown corridor and providing connectivity between local neighborhoods will bring a 'big boom' to an area that town officials have been working for years to develop." more...
Cambridge Passes Historic Milestone
MA - "A law requiring construction of protected bike lanes on streets in the city’s five-year sidewalk and street reconstruction plan was voted in Monday by the City Council – a move bike advocates are calling the first law of its kind in the country." more...
- FL: Hillsborough Co. to add sidewalk after several hit at crosswalk
- OR: Safety Improvement coming to high crash corridor in SE Portland
- GA: Momentum builds for biking, walking trail network
- NC: Mount Holly greenway section closed
- IRE: Majority of farmers against greenways regardless of compensation
- CA: Motorist Injures Cyclist in Wiggle Mixing Zone
- NZL: Car uses Waterview bike lane on morning commute
- AUS: Are separated bike lanes key to Canberra's future as a cycling city?
- TX: Houston’s Bike Share Ridership Up Over 65%
- NZL: Cyclists to build their own bike lane
- MN: Network of recreational trails in Sioux City continues to grow
- TN: City of Memphis making 'Shared Mobility Program' permanent
Group Fears Land Sale, Loss of Fence
Cincinnati, OH - "Some Hyde Park residents fear the pending sale of property along a proposed section of the Wasson Way bike trail means they soon could be dealing with unruly bar patrons again." more...
Corwin Peddler Reopens Along the Little Miami Trail
Corwin, OH - "We are officially open for the 2019 season!! Come check us out!.." more
Pennsylvania Approves $54.7M in Transportation Projects
PA - "...Funding covers projects ranging from roads, trails and rail to traffic safety, public transportation and air transport..." more
Budget Restores Eminent Domain for Bike Trails
WI - " Democratic Gov. Tony Evers wants to restore local governments and state agencies' right to seize private property for biking and hiking trails, a move that would again pit private property owners against villages, towns and cities looking to upgrade amenities." more...
Graffiti In Historic Paw Paw Tunnel
MD - "...A $250 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons involved." more...
Bye-Bye Bike Share?
"...micromobility companies are pedaling away from bikes to prioritize what they say customers want: scooters." more...
German App Posts Photos of Bike Lane Blockers
"...In Germany, a new app, Wegeheld (Road Hero) appears to be much more effective and popular. It's been downloaded more than a hundred thousand times,.." more
- TX: Bike sharing spreads in Houston
- CA:Police investigate crash that killed 14-old-girl
- NY: Deliveryman uses bicycle to help police nab robbery suspect
- CA: 67 tickets issued, 2 arrests made in Concord bike & ped safety crackdown
- CT: Brookfield approves grant for Still River Greenway
- MN: Work to start on Fremont bridge
- WA: Tree removal is latest controversy in Burke Gilman missing link saga
- GA: Flint Rivers Trails collection continues to grow
- AUS: Wangetti Trail grows 150Kms following advanced planning
- CAN: Wheels start turning on King Street protected bike lanes
- LA: Mayor Cantrell Reminds Residents: “We are all traffic”
- UK: Brighton bike share scheme marks a million miles
- CA: Official says SF supervisors ‘water down’ safety projects
North Coast Inland Trail Progress
Norwalk, OH - "Another bit of progress on the Laylin-Townsend section: this stone driveway at Laylin Rd was installed to give contractors better access for upcoming land clearing and trail construction projects, and will later become part of the trail itself." more...
Completing East Coast Greenway Would Benefit Philly
Philadephia, PA - " Completing the East Coast Greenway in the Delaware River Watershed would generate an impact of more than $3 billion in public health, environmental and economic benefits for greater Philadelphia..." more
Groups Split on Necessity, Cot of Bike Plan
Kansas City, MO - "For several months, officials with Kansas City, Missouri, have met with the public about what the proposed bike plan would look like..." more
Popularity of E-Bikes is Growing
CAN - "Electric bikes are growing in popularity around the world, including Metro Vancouver..." more
As E-Scooters Proliferate, So Do Injuries & Blocked Sidewalks
"...While the companies behind them are quick to extol their benefits, some health and safety experts are starting to see the challenges that come along for the ride..." more
- FL: Cyclist turn out for grand opening of bike trail section in Hastings
- GA: Bob Callan Trail extension to be complete this summer
- MO: Wild Nature Proclamation Day brings up concerns over city's trail construction
- NY: Does green light for Putnam’s greenway mean red light for Riverdale’s?
- VA: Community begins work on Northend Greenway
- OR: Safety Improvement coming to high crash corridor in SE Portland
- TX https://therivardreport.com/san-antonio-a-city-still-unsafe-for-cyclists-pedestrians/
Towpath Posts Speed Limit / Allows E-Bikes
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "Class 1 e-bikes are permitted to ride on multi-purpose trails (crushed limestone or asphalt) as part of a pilot program throughout 2019. The speed limit for all users 15 mph with signs posted along the trail."
Commissioners Discuss Grants for Bike Path, Rail-Trail
Athens County, OH - "...The commissioners agreed to apply for TAP funding to repair cracks and seal the 12-mile, county-owned section of the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway, from Currier Street in Athens to Hocking College..." more
Body Found in Scioto River
Columbus, OH - "Columbus police announced Friday that they believe the body pulled from the Scioto River Wednesday afternoon is the same man who entered the river on Feb. 22 and disappeared." more...
Residents Complain about Tree Removal along Trail
IN - "...a tree removal prescribed by the Northern Indiana Public Service Co. along the bike trail has all but ruined her view, she and other residents told the Town Council at its April 2 meeting..." more
Gladwin County Trail Head Moving Forward
MI - "A $20,000 donation from the Gladwin County Community Foundation to the Gladwin County Trails Recreation Authority is helping pave more of the the county's rail trail." more...
Temple Making Strides to Promote Bike Safety
PA - "In 2015, while biking on campus, Rachel Hall, CLA ’15, was struck by a hit-and-run driver. The incident inspired her brother to start a business and furthered bike safety discussions at Temple." more...
Injured Cyclist to Receive $20M Settlement
San Diego, CA - "...Crews had closed the bike lane and set up traffic control devices, however, Du continued to ride on the lane..." more
- SD: City of SF, volunteers spruce up parks, bike trail
- CA: Barbed wire disguised as a twig found on popular bike trail
- UT: Salt Lake to design potential Main Street cycle track
- AL: New Greenway opening at the Space & Rocket Center
- ND: Several Greenway trails close as Red River rises
- OR: Bear Creek Greenway meets Larson Creek Greenway
- UT: Summit County Council bans electric scooters
- NYC: The 107th Precinct Is The Latest to See Cyclists As Lawbreaking Pests
- TX: Tony Diaz 'ghost bike' removed from UT campus
- WI: Video captures motorist attacking Madison bicyclist
- GA: Bob Callan Trail extension to be complete this summer
- CA: Thief Makes Off With $5,000 Road Bike During Test Ride
- WA: Community celebration for opening of NE 65th St bike lanes
North Coast Inland Trail Construction
Norwalk, OH - "More progress was made this week on the future trail between Townsend Ave and Laylin Rd on the east side of Norwalk..." more
Cuyahoga County Working on Scooter/Bike Share Rules
Cleveland, OH - "...the county will try in coming weeks to align the county’s proposed regulations with those the city wants." more...
Autopsy Reveals Ohio Hiker Died of Hypothermia
Ashville, NC - "A Great Smoky Mountains National Park official, citing an autopsy report, says hypothermia killed an Ohio woman whose body was found at the park last year." more...
Pop-Up Cycle Track Coming to Downtown
Raleigh, NC - "It's something Raleigh has never seen before." more...
U.S. Cities Warming Up to Bike Lanes
"...However as any biker can tell you, some cities and communities are far more hospitable to bikers than others..." more
Bike Share is Going Electric
"Citi Bike, the bike share program for New York City, will add 4,000 pedal-assist e-bikes to its fleet." more...
Speed Caps for E-Scooters & Some Cars
D.C. - "... a new trend is emerging: Speed caps, in which a vehicle's software restricts an engine or motor from accelerating past a predetermined threshold, are being built into cars, e-scooters and e-bikes to improve safety." more...
- CA: California Invests Big in Trails
- NH: Portsmouth to adjust bike lane bollards
- GA: Savannah’s first painted bike lane complete
- MD: Civic League votes to request temporary delay in removing cycle track
- MA: Haverhill to get $1 million from state to extend rail trail
- CA: TAMC moves forward with Fort Ord greenway trail system
- MN: Twin Cities' bike-share program expands in Minneapolis, leaves St. Paul
- IL: Student-run bike-share program provides 305 rides in first 3 days
- NJ: Hoboken will launch an e-scooter pilot
- MCO: Monaco gives mobility a boost with e-bikes
- CO: Free bike offered as incentive to trail volunteers
Moving Forward on Scioto Trail Extension
Columbus, OH - "...The city's parks and recreation department recently put out a request for proposals for design and engineering to extend the Scioto Trail from its current end point at 5th Avenue to Griggs Park..." more
Police Bike Patrols Coming to Clintonville
OH - "...This summer, for the first time, officers are parking their cruisers and hopping on bicycles to patrol neighborhoods and bike trails." more...
Recalling the History of Solon's Vacated Rail Lines
Solon, OH - "...So, the route by which massive trains long ago chugged through Solon sat in limbo for two decades before Mayor Kraus had the nerve to suggest that the park system had a nice idea after all..." more
Lebanon Wants to Double Size of Bike Park
OH - " Lebanon is planning to double the size of its new outdoor bike park in hopes of establishing it as an official race site for a new interscholastic league for mountain bikers." more...
ODOT Seeking Public Comments
Sidney, OH - "The Ohio Department of Transportation District 7 is seeking public comments regarding the following projects [includes trail maintenance]..." more
Federal Law Plucks Trees from Griffith Bike Trail
IN - "A tree-clearing project along the Erie Lackawanna Bike Trail is causing a stir with residents and trail walkers, town officials said." more...
Houston Bike Trail Project Plans
TX - "The Bayou Greenways 2020 network is expected to be completed next year, and officials are now looking to take it beyond the city limits." more...
Cyclist Snared by Booby Trap
CO - "A local cyclist has broken bones and massive bruises all because of an apparently booby-trapped bike trail." more...
Testing Speed Bumps to Slow Down Drivers
Portland, OR - "The Portland Bureau of Transportation wants to make intersections safer by slowing down drivers making left turns..." more
Arkansas Passes ‘Idaho Stop’ Law
AR - "Arkansas became the second state in the nation to legalize the Idaho Stop on Monday, the biggest breakthrough yet for the iconic 35-year-old bike safety law." more...
The Race to Code the Curb
"The curb is hot. No longer just a home for parked cars and cigarette butts, this is where the action is in the 21st century city..." more
Right Hook Prevention in Bike Lanes
"Dear MOTORIST...this video is for you! If you do not know about right hooks, they are a leading cause of injury and death to cyclists..." more
- OR: PSU will make block of SW Montgomery a carfree plaza in May
- TX: Woman charged in death of San Antonio bike shop owner
- WA: Seattle’s bike movement fights mayor’s bike plan cuts
- NYC: Why Did De Blasio's DOT Rip Out A Popular Protected Bike Lane?
- NC: Lewd jogger wore ‘a black jacket and sneakers — but nothing else''
- CA: Activists Rallying For Protected Bike Lanes In North Park
- CAN: Vancouver's busiest bike routes have the trickiest gap to navigate
- CA: Second Street in SF a Fail for Cyclists
- NY: Staten Island’s dockless bike share program expanding
- IA: 3rd Avenue Bridge to get protected bike lanes, parallel parking
- TX: UT, City of Austin add first official bike lanes to campus road
- CO: County funds $72K in trails projects
- CAN: Saugeen Shores Designated as a Bicycle Friendly Community
- CO: Homemade mountain bike trail damages Golden park lands
Wasson Way Trail Overview
Turnpike Construction Affects Mill Creek Bikeway
Mahoning County, OH - "...The work began in 2018 and is scheduled to be completed about Nov. 1. The 2019 construction involves a bike detour, the removal of twin mainline bridges over the Mill Creek Bikeway and installing a pre-fabricated concrete structure. A new permanent bike path will be built through the construction area." more...
Location Markers to be Installed on Springfield Trails
Trauma Surgeon says Number of Scooter Injuries Increasing
San Diego, CA - "...All of us are scrambling to find out how big of a public health concern this is going to be..." more
SDOT Puts Off Building 25 Miles of Bike Lanes
Seattle, WA - "...The Seattle Department of Transportation says its new implementation plan pushes back some bike projects until funding can be found." more...
RTC Spring Happenings & Updates
U.S. - "...Earlier this month, we traveled to Annapolis to meet with legislators from the 40th District of the Maryland House of Delegates to talk about the northwest segment of the Baltimore Greenway Trails Network and legislation that would dedicate additional funds to complete trails, bike lanes and other bike-ped infrastructure projects..." more
- AZ: On Phoenix's most dangerous streets, little has been done...
- GA: Car hits 9-year-old playing in yard; driver on the run
- OR: Man nets big haul of nails and screws on a walk across Bridge
- MD: End in sight for work on Western Maryland Rail Trail extension
- WA: Bellevue 108th Ave Bikeway Seen As Success
- NM: New Mexico seeks bigger slice of outdoor recreation economy
- CAN: Allowing parking in bike lanes, advocate says is a dangerous move
- UK: Cyclist in a bike lane is side-swiped and knocked to the ground by
- NY: Bike share returns to Rochester for its third season
- MN: St. Paul left without bicycle sharing
- SD: A Ride Through Closed And Open Sections Of The SF Bike Trail
Towpath Flooding Reports
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "Flooding along the trail is present in the low lying areas including north of Lake Lucerne near Canal Fulton, under Lake Ave. in Massillon, and Wooster St. in Navarre. Crystal Springs, Lock 4, and St. Helena Heritage Park parking areas are also closed at this time"
Athens Prepping for E-Scooters
Athens, OH - "Athens City Council is considering legislation that would regulate small electric vehicles, including e-scooters and e-bicycles, in anticipation of e-mobility companies that have arrived without warning in other cities." more...
Pittsburgh’s Hazelwood Green Site Opens
PA - "Pittsburgh’s sprawling Hazelwood Green property along the Monongahela River opened to the public Monday for the first time in more than 100 years." more...
New Bike Share Program Already Seeing Results
Jeffersonville, IN - "...The LouVelo bike share increases the healthy regional transportation options while utilizing the Greenway, Big Four Bridge and shared bike lanes around District 1." more...
Columbus, DNR Negotiate Riverfront Project
IN - "...For two years, the city and DNR have been going back and forth to propose ideas and suggest improvements and changes to the city’s Riverfront plans for the East Fork White River..." more
Bensalem Gets $350K For Greenway Trails
PA - "Bensalem is working on a 13.5-mile trail that would run from Philadelphia to Bristol Township and be part of a national system of trails." more...
Kids Take Bikes on Highway Tunnel Joy Ride
Boston, MA - "...The group of around 30 cyclists zipped onto Interstate 93 south at Leverett Circle and, to the astonishment of the people in cars around them, took up the two right-hand lanes as they pedaled over the Zakim Bridge and through the tunnel." more...
Bicyclist on Life Support
TX - "A man who was left in critical condition following a downtown overnight crash involving a suspected drunk driver is on life support..." more
Cycle Track to be Removed
Baltimore, MD - "...The city also canceled a pilot plan to test reducing traffic along the road to one lane each way from two..." more
Wholesale Bike Sales Down, Except for E-Bikes
Boulder, CO - "...The trend continues: BPSA members are selling fewer bikes, but more expensive ones. For the full year 2018, that trend resulted in a 10 percent decline in units but a 4 percent uptick in dollar sales..." more
- NYC: De Blasio Won’t Say Words ‘Bike Lane’
- CA: San Francisco’s escalating war on cars
- WA: The bitter politics of bike lanes and parking in Northeast Seattle
- RI: Expansion of JUMP Dockless Electric Bike Share in Providence
- NC: Henderson County approves greenway master plan
- NYC: Queens Residents Demand DOT 'Finish Queens Boulevard' Bike Lane
- IA: Bridge work aims to alleviate bike lane issues
- CAN: Bike lanes alongside train tracks could beef up city's cycling network
- OR: Next segment of Historic Columbia River Highway bike trail takes shape
- VT: Bike trails set to open in August
Brush Work Completed on Xenia-Jamestown Connector
CVNP Visitor Center to Open this Fall
Akron, OH - "The Cuyahoga Valley National Park’s new Boston Mill Visitor Center is scheduled to open in October." more...
DVRPC Awards $3.6M in Trail Grants
NJ - "Three Bucks County towns and two Burlington County, New Jersey, projects were approved for nearly $900,000 for trail programs..." more
Family of Killed Cyclist Sues
TX - "...Cyclist Anthony John Diaz, 39, was dragged under a CapMetro bus and killed on Jan. 28..." more
Vulnerable User Bill Stuck in Committee
Baltimore, MD - "Under current law, motorists who injure or kill a bicyclist, jogger or scooter rider in Maryland routinely walk away with nothing more than a traffic ticket." more...
States Looking at Regulating E-Scooters
U.S. - "...The Washington Post reports that nearly 70 bills related to e-scooters have been introduced in 29 state legislatures in recent months..." more
- IA: Bicyclists ask for more enforcement of bike lane parking restrictions
- CAN: Extending Bloor bike lanes west will benefit the community
- WA: The Seattle that could've been
- MN:Mobility hubs will contribute to mode shift
- CO: Bicyclists can take lane if road marked 'Shared Lane Use'
- VA: Funding shortfall leads to trail plan changes
- NY: Dryden opens new section of Rail Trail
- CAN: Growing popularity of e-bikes could boost trails, tourism
- NY: power-assist bikes roll into White Plains
- CHN: Man hit by shared bike falling from building
- CA: Tempers flare as traffic backs up
- TN: Riverwalk will eventually expand north of the river
Alum Creek Trail Flooding
Columbus, OH - From Columbus MetroParks, "Severe flooding and debris blocking majority of Alum Creek Trail. Will clear by tomorrow afternoon when flooding has subsided. Stay Safe!"
Neighbors March for Safer Streets
GA - "People took to the streets Saturday to push for changes to a busy street they say is too dangerous to walk or bike on." more...
Cyclists Struck, Killed near Medicine Lodge
Wichita, KS - "...Jack Murphy, who is a bike instructor, says too often cyclists are rear ended while on highways and main roads." more...
Cyclist Mocks New Narrow Bike Lane
UK - "...The freshly-marked lane in Lowton, Wigan, has prompted ridicule from the local cycling community..." more
Police to be Challenged Over Blocking Cycle Lane
SCT - "The “bad practice” of Police Scotland staff parking their cars over a cycle lane near one of its biggest offices will be raised by the area’s roads authority." more...
- CT: Town to explore bike path grant can be used for a different project
- CO: Unicoi County receives grant to develop bike park
- AZ: Bike ranch doesn't belong so close to Saguaro East
- TX:Construction Brings Major Greenway Trail System Closer to Completion
- IRE: Greenway chair says local councils need to co-ordinate their plans
- RI: Advisory committee looks to improve biker, pedestrian safety
Virginia Man Arrested on Stavich Trail
L.A. Approves Street Memorial Signs
CA - "The effort was spearheaded by San Fernando Valley LA Councilman Bob Blumenfield in response to high numbers of cyclist fatalities." more...
Bettendorf adds Bike Paths
IA - "Bettendorf's distinction as a bike-friendly city will get another boost this year..." more
Company Allows Small Towns to Have Bike Share
"Pocahontas, Iowa, has 1,700 people–and a higher number of bikeshare bikes per resident than the Citi Bike system in New York." more...
Join the Movement for Bicyclists' Rights
"...In March, hundreds of League members climbed the Hill in Washington, DC, at the National Bike Summit, where together we generated momentum around policies and funding for safer biking and walking..." more
- NY: 10 New Citi Bike Docks Are Coming To Bushwick
- OR: Biketown hasn’t taken over Portland like I’d hoped
- VA: E-Bikes Now Permitted on W&OD Trail
- SD: Falls Park and about 11 miles of bike trail now open
- AR: North Little Rock opens exclusive mountain bike trail at Burns Park
- D.C.: DC moves forward with controversial bike lanes
- FL: St. Pete chooses bike lanes
- IL: Run-in With a Reckless Cabbie
- LA: Mandeville City Council rejects bike path that drew neighborhood's ire
- IRE: Initiatives in Galway and Dublin 8 aim to reclaim the streets for cyclists
- TX: City supports 25 mph residential speed limits
Portion of Mill Creek Bike Trail Detour Expected to Open
Berrien County Dreams of Trails
IN - "More than 100 people came to Andrews University on a cold February night — more than anyone expected — to talk about safe routes to walk and bike through Berrien County." more...
E-Bike Sales, Rentals Promised at Incoming Shop
Detroit, MI - "Bicycle and bike gear retailer American Cycle and Fitness plans to open electric bicycle shop in Detroit." more...
City Going all in for Electric Bikes
Richmond, VA - "City Hall is trying to turn around its failing bike share program by adding battery-powered bikes to make it easier for riders to travel longer distances and get up the city’s hills." more...
Task Force Formed To Implement Public Lands Bill
U.S. - "...We are taking a concrete step to ensure the department efficiently and fully implements the most comprehensive public lands management legislation in a decade..." more
Bike Lane Blockers to get $300 Fine
New Orleans, LA - "...It needs to be that high. This is a public safety issue..." more
- OR: Theft from apartment’s bike parking room
- CAN: Totten Street bike lane construction to begin Monday
- NY: Koz says no link on bike lanes and jail
- AZ: Cycling in Arizona: What are the rules of the road?
- LA: Broad Street overpass bike lanes will feature new protections; cyclists still wary
- TX: Survey reveals Austinites want to get out of their cars
- GA: Group pushes other cities to start Greenway work
- TN: Rec. Dept. begins to flag route for greenway extension
- TX: Greens Bayou Greenway opens
- CO: State dismisses condemnation complaint against Durango
- NY: Sutton Place Preservationists Sue To Block Esplanade Expansion
- NC: ECU ending Lime Bikes program on campus
- MA: Body found along Connecticut River near Northampton bike trail
- UT: Jeremy Ranch Elementary Kids Will Have New Path And Wetlands Next Year
Bike Lanes Planned for Broad Street
Franklinton, OH - "...The new alignment will feature a center turn lane and bike lanes running in each direction..." more
Memorial to Son Stolen
Warren, OH - "A makeshift memorial to a loved one killed by a careless driver has been stolen right out of a Warren family's front yard." more...
Lime to Try E-Scooters Again
South Bend, IN - " Lime will keeps its bikes in South Bend for now and is bringing its electric scooters back to the downtown and Indiana University South Bend campus for a second 45-day pilot project..." more
Test Bike Lanes Show Promise
New Orleans, LA - "...Connect the Crescent showed that building a network of protected bike lanes makes streets safer for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians." more...
Drivers Think Cyclists are not Fully Human
"The word ‘cyclist’ contributes towards the hostility people on bikes face, researchers say." more...
UT Scooter Speed Limit
TX - "...the 8-mph limit will be enforced using geofencing technology, which will throttle down a scooter’s top speed (typically 15 to 17 mph) whenever it’s on the UT campus." more...
IMBA Announces Trail Accelerator Grant Recipients
Boulder, CO - "Recipients’ trail plans will put more trails close to home in communities in Tennessee, Nebraska and Wisconsin." more...
- WA: SDOT puts brakes on controversial 35th Ave NE bike lane project
- TX: City Bans Scooter and Bike-Share, Citizens Give Little Input
- ID: Moscow, UI trek toward two wheels
- UK: Transport App Reduces Car Use And Boosts Bike And Bus Use
- CA: City approves controversial new bike trail through south Sacramento
- D.C.: Transportation advocates demand K St NE road diet and green space
- WI: Milwaukee looking at different bike lane barrier options
- FL: Emerald Trail Master plan approved
- LA: NOPD pledges better bike law enforcement
- VT: Bennington accepts 96-acre nature reserve donation
- NY: TILT progresses with rails-to-trails project
Towpath Section Reopens
CVNP, OH - "The Towpath Trail between Deep Lock Quarry Metro Park and Hunt House is now open!
"The trail section had been closed for installation of a steel pedestrian bridge..." more
RTA Approves Plans for Complex Near Red Line Greenway
Cleveland, OH - "The Regional Transit Authority approved a non-binding letter of intent today for a Westlake developer to draft a plan for offices, residences, stores and green space on 1.3 acres of RTA property between Columbus Road and the future Red Line Greenway Trail." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Will Ohio Keep Widening Highways?
Cincinnati, OH - "...is increasing capacity on a highway system that the state has admitted it cannot afford to maintain — under current funding levels — really the best idea?" more...
Bikes for All Celebrates 5 Years
Columbus, OH - "One Columbus organization has given away dozens of bicycles to children in its community over the last five years." more...
Restore Pennsylvania Could Benefit Williamsport
PA - "...If all goes as planned, Governor Wolf's proposal to the legislator will fund major infrastructure projects across Pennsylvania." more...
Reading gets Grant for Bike/Ped Path
PA - "Cyclists and pedestrians are closer to enjoying a planned trail along nearly 2 miles of East Wyomissing and Hancock boulevards in Reading." more...
Grant Money for New Trail
Forty Fort, PA - "...The borough of Forty Fort was just awarded a $600,000 grant from the states multimodal transportation fund." more...
Branding Michiana Trails
South Bend, IN - "...The Michiana Area Council of Governments is leading the $60,000 trail branding project to help local areas market themselves as fun, active places to live and visit to people both within and beyond their borders." more...
Couple Bringing E-Bikes to Norfolk
VA - "Pedego Electric Bikes will be rolling into the city as the first electric bike dealership in Hampton Roads." more...
London's Ultra Low Emission Zone Scheme
UK - "...make no mistake, it is one of the most radical anti-pollution policies in the world." more...
- TX: Houstonians Are Struggling With Poor Sidewalks
- SC: Legislature to review ‘complete streets’ bill
- OR: Bill would protect cyclists in intersections
- WA: City Light decides against car charger in path of Broadway Bikeway
- WA: No bicycle lanes on northeast Seattle road project
- LA: New Orleans bike safety plan
- CA: At least 240 people killed in LA traffic collisions in 2018
- AZ: City cancels bike path plan for Desert Foothills Parkway
- MD:DOT plan for Roland Avenue is not acceptable
- BRA: Electric Bikes coming to Brazil
- IRE: 2 more canal greenways in the pipeline for Offaly
Tree Trimming along the Little Miami Trail
Old Fleatique, Grocery Store to Become Greenway Corridor
PA - "...The property will become part of a 30-acre Loyalhanna Gorge Greenway between the eastbound and westbound lanes of Route 30..." more
Popular Trail Becoming MTBikes Only
CO - "Colorado Springs mountain biker Harry Hamill stopped riding the Chutes years ago.." more...
Major Cities are Removing Elevated Highways
"...20 cities around the world have removed elevated highways..." more
Lawyers Descending on Sarasota County for Legacy Trail Lawsuits
FL - "Land along where the Legacy Trail will be extended has become a battleground for lawyers clamoring for clients." more...
Volvo to Monitor Drivers
"Volvo said this week that it will use in-vehicle cameras and sensors to monitor whether a driver is distracted or intoxicated, and allow the car to take action in unsafe situations..." more
Vancouver Bike Lanes Led to Uptick in Physical Activity
CAN - "There is a correlation between a heightened level of physical activity and living close proximity to an urban greenway, according to a new study by researchers at the University of British Columbia." more...
Belgium Reduces Tax on Bike Sales
"Earlier this week Belgium’s parliament voted through a bill to lower the sales tax on bicycles – including e-bikes – from 21 to 6%..." more
- NE: Biking and walking advocates merge efforts
- OR: Driver who hit protester in downtown Portland gets criminal case dismissed
- TX: New Potential Funding Streams in the Lone Star State
- WI: Lime ends bike share program in Green Bay
- NC: Green Lime bikes have disappeared from Durham and Wake Forest
- WI: Defendant in bike trail assaults seeks to change pleas
- MA: 'Tragic accident' along a peaceful walking trail raises questions
- VA: Cyclist worried drivers are misusing Manchester Bridge bike lane
- TN: Engineering Students Design Section of Gatlinburg Greenway
- NC: How police keep Charlotte's parks, greenways safe
Cannonball Trail Celebrates 25 Years
The 'Mansfield Rising' Plan
Mansfield, OH - "Part of the 'Mansfield Rising' plan is to provide alternative transportation options, such as ride-share services, trolleys, bike sharing programs and electric scooters." more...
Cyclist Dies from Head-On Collision on Bike Path
Lexington, MA - "A 71-year-old cyclist has died in a collision with another bicycle rider on popular recreational trail just outside Boston." more...
Cycling into the Future in Tallahassee
FL - "...Tallahassee now has over 200 miles of bike paths, of which 8 miles are buffered or protected..." more
“Complete Streets” Dubbed Incomplete 9 Years Later
CT - "...nine years later, New Haveners testifying at a recent Board of Alders hearing said they’re still taking their lives into their hands every time they ride a bike or attempt to cross an intersection on foot..." more
Bike Thief Leaves Wallet Behind
MT - "A man broke into a Montana bike shop on March 9, but left his wallet with his state-issued ID inside." more...
Are Bikes the Future of Urban Mobility?
"In most cities around the UK and the rest of the world, there’s never been a worse time to be a cyclist..." more
Man Jailed for Using Dog to Attack Cyclists
UK - "A man from Oxford, U.K., who launched a vicious ‘campaign’ against city centre cyclists, letting his canine sink his teeth into a number of riders..." more
- NC: construction begins on bike lanes in uptown
- MA: Town seeks $2.5M for continuation of in-town bike path
- IL: Bike lane project still in works
- AR: Springdale residents have plenty to say about new bicycle lanes
- CA: RTC Promoting Flawed Plan
- CHN: Greenbelts along Qiantang River show off Hangzhou's urban plan
- CA: Cyclists upset by SMART’s delays in completing promised bike path
- CA: Why is Los Angeles so Dangerous for Cyclists?
Little Beaver Creek Greenway Trail Repairs Coming
Galena Trail Construction Progress
Galena, OH - "... planning and design is underway for the Galena Brick Trail Phase 3 project. This is the segment of the Ohio-To-Erie Trail that will connect Galena to Sunbury. Construction is anticipated during the second half of 2019..." more
Bike Share Popular on Marshall Campus
WV - "You've heard of 'build it and they will come,' but on campus the Marshall University Sustainability Department's latest project motto has been 'leave it and they will ride'." more...
L.A. Spent 10 Years and $20M to Redesign a Street
CA - "On Aug. 30, 2018, Los Angeles officially completed renovations on 4.5 miles of streets along the Figueroa corridor. The project took 10 years and cost $20 million. What did we get for all that effort?" more...
The Problem with L.A.'s Alternative Transit Efforts
CA - "...the infrastructure is spotty, badly maintained and confusing for drivers and cyclists..." more
- SC: Rail Trail extension has 'first in SC' bike lane
- MO: Trail Coalition agrees to move ahead with paving
- UK: Brunel 'Boris Bikes' launched in Uxbridge
- FL: Candlelight vigil held to remember woman killed while riding bicycle
- FL: Emerald Trail is about to become a reality
- WA: road changes aim to make Bellingham more bike and pedestrian friendly
- OK: Cyclist’s death highlights OKC infrastructure needs
- OR: Researchers at UO aim to make cycling around town safer
- OR: Greening up the Greenway
- OR: City maps out new greenway linking Lloyd to Woodlawn
- WA: Trail connection across Factoria Boulevard begins work in 2019
Simon Kenton Trail Work Completed for Now
Urbana, OH - "...The SKT is totally open from County Line Road to Bellefontaine.
"Stay tuned for more alerts, as we do have other trail maintenance projects coming up in the next month." more...
Greenway Eroding into Pigeon Creek
Evansville, IN - "A section of Evansville’s Pigeon Creek Greenway Passage is closed near Garvin Park. The Parks Board tell us the repairs have been a long time coming." more...
Cyclists Call for Veto of Bike Safety Bill
Santa Fe, NM - "...[it] says that a cyclist, when practical, must stay out of a traffic lane 'if a separate posted or painted bicycle lane or pathway is provided within or adjacent to the roadway'..." more
Activists Press Officials to Crack Down on Blocked Bike Lanes
New Orleans, LA - "... Even though I had no knowledge of activists’ efforts to catalogue bike lane blockages, I recently started doing so myself during my 3.4-mile commute..." more
£137M May be Invested in Cycling & Walking Around Manchester
UK - "...If approved, the Bee Network will have resulted in 70 miles of new cycling and walking routes, including 14 miles of Dutch-style segregated cycle lanes, as well as improvements to hundreds of crossings and junctions." more...
- NE: Nebraska biking and walking advocates merge efforts
- CA: Green light for expanded use of electric bikes in Marin County parks
- LA: Green bike lanes grace Broad Street
- CA: Waterloo bike lane causes cyclists concern
- NYC: MTA dismisses Verrazzano Bridge bike proposal
- VA: Could the Richmond region build a 40-mile bike trail from Ashland to Petersburg?
- SD: City Of Sioux Falls Closes Bike Trail System
- TX: Big Spring State Park to introduce new multi-use trails
- MT: Progress for Montana MTB Trails
- GA: Firefly Trail aims to builds community by repurposing former railroads
- NY: Erie Canal Trail will be coming through Frankfort
Cincy Traffic Study
Cincinnati, OH - "...The recommendations are the result of several traffic studies, meant to increase efficiency, improve mobility for everyone – vehicles and pedestrians – and increase pedestrian safety." more...
Rail Trail Transfer Pending Approval
Lewisburg, PA - "Closing on the transfer of the Buffalo Valley Rail Trail could be stalled but not derailed due to a delay in the receipt of necessary documents needed for state approval." more...
Trail Networks and Spines: Key Components to America’s Mobility Future
U.S. - "...'Mobility' is beginning to signify many options for getting around—such as driving a car, taking a train or ride-hailing service, using a scooter or bike or walking to one’s destination." more...
Bike Share Companies are Transforming U.S. Cities
"Residents of major U.S. cities are becoming used to seeing docks for bike sharing programs nestled into parking spaces or next to subway station entrances..." more
8 Cities Taking Steps to Remove Cars
"Cities around the world are starting to see that they’ll be cleaner, healthier, and just better overall if people–not cars–are the priority. more...
- CA: Palo Alto takes bike-share program on another spin
- NYC: Why Is The Queens Boulevard Bike Lane Still In Limbo?
- GA: New bike lane law in Atlanta
- NC: Uptown Charlotte is getting its first permanent, protected bicycle lane
- CAN: What good is a bike lane if someone parks their car on it?
- SD: Sioux Falls closes bike trail, parks ahead of more flooding
- VA: E-bikes Hit the Trails
- OK: City's first bikeway to be backbone of Broken Arrow trail system
- AR: Arkansas River Trail being monitored closely as storm season approaches
- NC: Police ‘actively’ pursuing leads in Winston-Salem greenway stabbing
- OR: Losing the 7th Ave Greenway
- TN: Several Nashville greenways remain closed because of recent flooding
- MD: Baltimore approves dockless scooter and bike rules
Final Leg of Maple Highlands Trail in Place
Chardon, OH - "...the city finally received a purchase agreement from CSX for property needed to finish the final leg of the Maple Highlands Trail that will connect the city with a single trail from north to south through the city." more...
Committee Raising Funds to Connect Rail Trails
Athens, OH - "Half-mile stretch of old railroad bed needed to connect rail-trails in Athens and Washington counties." more...
Fix the Darn Sidewalks
Toledo, OH - "...City council voted recently to spend $1.25 million on rebuilding sidewalks in the city. That money pays for about half the problem..." more
3 Signs Philly Is Getting Serious About Street Safety
Philadelphia, PA - "A few years ago, it seemed like a stretch for the city even to get on board with a Vision Zero safety plan. This month, the initiative is making serious strides." more...
Woman Stabbed While Walking on Greenway
Winston-Salem, NC - "...The suspect left the scene on a scooter..." more
4 States Should Fix Their Unfair Treatment of Peds
"A roaring, 2,000-pound mass of steel careens into human flesh. The victim is jaywalking; the driver is both speeding and texting. Who is at fault?" more...
- CA: 3 arrested in SoCal bike shop robbery
- WA Will Mayor meet the Seattle Council’s downtown bike lane 2019 deadline?
- GA: Brookhaven approves nearly $835K for Peachtree Creek Greenway construction
- SC: Raccoon on Greeneway Trail may have exposed someone in Aiken to rabies
- LA: New Orleans officials visit Spain this week to inspect bike infrastructure
- CA: SF settles with cyclist struck by police car
- GA: New running, biking trails to be constructed along Standing Boy Creek
- IA: City ready to roll on bike trail stencils
- NY: Brooklyn cyclists push local leaders for new bike lanes
- VA: Bike trail lease gets green light from Amherst
- IL: Two robbed at gunpoint near Springfield bike trail
- SD: Electric bikes riding their way into Mitchell
Camp Chase Trail Extension Progress
Bike Lane Coming to North Sharon
Sharon, PA - "City of Sharon officials are optimistic that bicyclists traveling on the city’s future bike lanes will have some extra protection on the path along Sharpsville Avenue." more...
Town in 'Crisis' Over Rail Trail Proposal
Lynnfield, MA - "...Police Chief David Breen told the attentive audience that he received a call on Tuesday about pro and con rail trail signs being stolen from properties." more...
E-Trikes Join Micromobility Movement
"...Gotcha announced its addition of a fourth service mode: the first public electric trike..." more
Cyclists Ride to Protest 'Anti-Biking' Ordinance
PHL - "Dubbed the 'Ride to Liberation,' nearly 600 local cyclists wear black and join a 24-kilometer circuit around the city to push for their right to pedal." more...
- NYC: Cuomo Agrees to 460 More Speed Cams
- CA: Sacramento Plans Crackdown On JUMP Bike And Scooter Parking
- FL: Juice bike share ending after 3 years
- TX: Cycling community concerned over Springfield extension project
- NY: 'Trails Across NY' Advocates For Empire State Trail
- CAN: Woman found dead on Thunder Bay bike path appeared to have been beaten
- TX: Biking trails coming to Big Spring State Park
- CA: Bike Lane Barriers Could Be Coming To LA Streets
- TX: Four Ways to Curb Cycling Dangers in Houston
- NM: Family of man killed by BCSO deputy files lawsuit
- CAN: Toronto to Algonquin Greenway highlighting Brock as tourism zone
- CO: Teen sentenced to 20 years in prison for stabbing jogger
- UK: Campaigners to form ‘people protected bike lane’ on Old Street in protest
- AUS: Let's make Perth cycling-friendly
- IA: Council awards bid in trail project
Mill Creek Trail Extension Progress
Canfield, OH - "Mill Creek MetroParks board of commissioners passed a resolution to enter into negotiations with gas-transmission company EnerVest to complete the park’s bikeway-extension project." more...
West Broad Street to Get Bike Lanes, Lose Parking Spaces
Columbus, OH - "For 28 years, Chuck Sugarman has operated his office furniture retail store at 971 West Broad Street in Franklinton, but he says if a 2020 street reconstruction project happens, it could spell the end for his store." more...
Teen Meets First-Responders
Athens, OH - "A 16-year-old boy is on the mend after he suffered severe injuries when a car struck him on Jan. 5 while riding his bicycle on Ohio Rt. 682, just outside The Plains." more...
Philly Streets "Suck"
Philadelphia, PA - "'Suck' isn’t the usual verb mayors use to describe key elements of the city they govern." more...
Cyclists Under Siege from Bike Lane Blockers
Chicago, IL - "Local bicyclists recently shared stories of being brutally attacked after interacting with drivers who were blocking downtown bike lanes..." more
Bike Tour Founder Killed by Driver
NY - "David Schlichting, 66, who was killed Sunday, organized first Five Boro Bike Tour in 1977." more...
Women Report Sexual Harassment on Bike Paths
Rapid City, SD - "Rapid City police received a number of reports from women runners in recent months saying they have been harassed on a bike path." more...
Protected Bike Lane in SoMa Completed in Record Time
San Francisco, CA - "One week after cyclist Tess Rothstein, 30, was killed by a driver on Howard Street in San Francisco’s South of Market, a protected bike lane on the dangerous stretch was finished in record time." more...
Conditions on the I-205 Path are Unacceptable
Portland, OR - "...Unfortunately [the bike path] been rendered nearly unusable due to an abundance of trash, personal belongings, and makeshift homes that have been built upon it." more...
NYPD Victim-Blaming Compounds Grief
NYC - "...The New York Post quoted unnamed police sources and witnesses as saying Foster was wearing a hood and headphones when she was struck, a claim that her colleague read as insinuating Foster was, in some way, at fault for her own death." more...
- NYC: Family of deceased LIC cyclist blame political process
- D.C.: vets to get free Capital Bikeshare membership
- NYC: Citi Bike to Expand Valet Service
- GA: New Atlanta bike lane law approved; drivers face $100 tickets
- OK: Broken Arrow adding bike lanes to the Rose District
- FL: New multi-use path in North Port
- NV: $25M downtown Las Vegas
- WA: Spokane might eliminate helmet requirements for Lime bikes & scooters
Plan for Cleveland Biking/Running Loop
Cleveland, OH - "...a grassroots proposal to create a formal, high quality recreational loop trail over the Cuyahoga River, connecting downtown and Ohio City via the Detroit-Superior and the Lorain-Carnegie bridges." more...
Towpath Section Closed March 19
Canal Fulton, OH - From starkparks.com, "The trail will be closed between Butterbridge Ave. and Lock 4 Trailhead [a 1.3-mile segment] on March 19, 2019 for tree work along the trail."
Lorain 'Better Block' to Return
Lorain, OH - "This spring, Lorain Better Block will return along with some other opportunities to get out on the streets of Lorain -- with no car needed." more...
Bald Eagle Valley Trail Section Opens Wednesday
Lock Haven, PA - "...The Phase Two section opening Wednesday will unveil a 3.4 mile link along the railroad bed from Castanea and leading to Wayne Township, running along Bald Eagle Creek." more...
New 'Limestone Greenway' Trail Expected This Year
IN - "A new trail south of Bloomington is expected to be complete by the end of the year." more...
Cyclist Robbed on Lafitte Greenway
LA - "A man was hit with a metal bat and robbed of his wallet and cell phone as he was riding his bicycle on the Lafitte Greenway early Sunday morning..." more
$50M Divvy Bike-Share Expansion Proposed
Chicago, IL - "... It would more than double the existing bike fleet by adding 10,500 new bikes and 175 stations, bringing the overall total to 16,500 bikes and 800 stations..." more
- NY: Lime to introduce battery power to White Plains bike share program
- UK: Boris Johnson calls for bike share schemes to collaborate
- UK: New 5,000-strong bike share scheme targets business users
- CA: Plans underway to extend Kern River Bike Trail
- SC: Bypass should be open by summer, with new bike & ped path
- OR: TriMet wants you to combine your bus or MAX trip with Uber, Biketown
Towpath Section Closure in Akron
Summit County, OH - From summitmetroparks.org, "The Towpath Trail will be closed between Manchester Rd. and State Route 224 for utility work associated with an Army Corps of Engineers invasive species project.
"The closure begins Tuesday, March 19 and continues through early June 2019."
Stark County Parks Trail Closings
OH - From starkparks.com, Middle Branch Trail: "Maintenance work on a gas line will close a portion of the trail March 18 to March 22. Access will not be available between 55th St. and the southern trail split at Veterans Park during those dates."
Hoover Trail: "A recent construction project to widen Market Ave. has closed the on-road connection to the Hoover Trail at the Market Ave. and Easton St. intersection. The official closing sign is placed at Stone Crossing St. and Marelis Ave."
Mahoning Valley Trail: "A project to construct a new boat launch at Deer Creek Reservoir will close the park until March 25, 2019. Parking for the trail will not be available and access to the park will be closed during construction."
Learn more about Stark County trail construction and closings.
Trail Work Day Along the NCIT
Huron County, OH - From firelandsrailstotrailsinc, "We had another big turnout for today's workday, so we split the crew in two and sent one to dewinterize the Chapin Bridge in Wakeman while the other cut dead trees near Monroeville."
Trail Clearing Along the Kokosing Gap Trail
City Pushes Greenway Extension Over Objections
Jefferson City, MO - "After receiving neighborhood opposition, Jefferson City staff is reviewing alternative plans for extending the greenway trail along Tree Valley Lane, leading to some confusion on the Jefferson City Parks and Recreation Commission." more...
Another Cyclist Dies in Houston
TX - "...He was riding in a bike lane on Heights Boulevard near Eighth Street in the early afternoon when he slid to avoid a Houston ISD bus in the intersection and was crushed by its rear axle..." more
Police Arrest 'Smash and Grab' Burglar at Bike trail
TX - "Officers staking out the hike and bike trail saw a man looking in car windows who matched a suspect description from another robbery last week." more...
- HI: Rental businesses boom along Eastside coastal trail
- NYC: Vigil for Robert Spencer — And More Demands for Bike Lanes
- CAN: Phase five of bike lane project in motion
- GA: The green mile was a path to the St. Patrick’s Day parade
- SC: Driver charged with DUI, homicide after deadly West Ashley collision with bicyclist
- D.C.: Man Arrested for Throwing Beer Can at Cyclist, then Approaching With a Knife
Philly's Deadliest Road Moving Closer to Speed Cameras
PA - "...The 12-lane North Philadelphia road is the city’s most dangerous thoroughfare — 8 percent of fatal and severe crashes in the city between 2013 and 2017 occurred along its 12-mile stretch..." more
Harlem Valley Rail Trail to be Completed in 2020
NY - "Next year, cyclists and pedestrians will be able to travel from Amenia to Copake Falls without dealing with travel or detours." more...
Suspect Arrested in West Ashley Greenway Attack
SC - "Charleston police arrested a man Friday on suspicion of assaulting a woman on the West Ashley Greenway earlier this week." more...
Judge Says Rail Repairs Didn’t Harm Wetlands
Santa Cruz, CA - "...The fight between Greenway and the RTC was a procedural one that arose amid a broader squabble about transportation in a county choked with frequent congestion in its main thoroughfare — Highway 1 between Watsonville and Santa Cruz." more...
Why Skateboarders Can't Skate on Bike Trail
Sacramento, CA - "On the American River bike trail, people can ride their bikes as fast or slow as they want. For some reason though, skateboards are banned." more...
- IL: Active Transportation Alliance defends Emanuel’s bike-sharing deal
- CA: L.A. wants to track your scooter trips
- AUT: Leogang Bike Park Opening 4 New Trails for 2019
- NM: Lawmaker hopes to make New Mexico a destination for 'bike packing'
- TX: Complaints to Austin 311 highlight safety, threat to trails
- CA: Cyclists demand safer streets and protected bike lanes
- CA: Safety Advocates Rip San Fran's Vision Zero Strategy
- MS: Locksley, Blackjack multi-use path projects underway
Olentangy Trail Extensions may Never Meet Up
Columbus, OH - "...there are no current plans to connect the two, which might include a controversial route through the hamlet of Mount Air." more...
Simon Kenton Trail Alerts
SW OH - "There is a temporary closing of the Northern section of the Simon Kenton Trail at the SR 296 intersection. Contractors are installing new RR warning lights and a gate for that crossing..."
"...On Monday, 3/18, the Champaign Co. Highway Dept. Will be removing some very large thorny locust trees on the Northern extension, between the Depot and Lippincott Rd..." more...
Towpath Adopt-A-Trail Program Launched
New Philadelphia, OH - "...This program, which was implemented in 2018, aims to assist with keeping a six-mile section of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail litter-free, brush-free and visually improved." more...
Bicyclist Stuck by SUV Driver
Fairfield Twp., OH - "Fairfield Twp. police cited an 18-year-old woman after her SUV struck a person on a bicycle at Liberty-Fairfield Road and Ohio 4 on Tuesday." more...
Healthy Ride Bike-Share Program Expanding
Pittsburgh, PA - "Pittsburgh’s Healthy Ride bike-share program is expanding..." more
City Honored for Haw Creek People Trail Project
Columbus, IN - "...The honor was given in recognition of the work completed last year by Strand Associates on the Haw Creek People Trail extension, which included the restoration and relocation of a 107-year-old historic steel truss bridge..." more
Police Issue Warning After Brazen Greenway Attacks
Charlotte, NC - "Police are investigating a string of brazen attacks on people out enjoying greenways and walkways in Charlotte." more...
Cyclist Killed Where Locals Asked For A Bike Lane
NYC - "A cyclist was fatally struck by the driver of a black sedan this morning while riding on Borden Avenue in Long Island City..." more
Crazy Anti-Bike Lane Arguments
19-Year-Old Bike Racer Killed
CA - "Tate Meintjes, a 19-year-old rider with Team California, was killed in a car-bike crash on Tuesday." more...
- WI: La Crosse council turns down bike lane ban on Gillette Street
- CAN: Regina unveils plan to implement 94 km of bike lanes and paths
- VA: Norfolk bikeshare program returns to the city
- MA: Twin Cities Rail Trail working for spring 2020 start
- LA: New Orleans bike advocates call for big changes after 2 killed
- OR: Portlanders at ‘die-in’ call on ODOT to end ‘traffic violence’
- CAN: Average age of Toronto pedestrians killed by drivers this year is 65.2
Triplett Valley Trail Phase 1
Morehead, KY - "...The Triplett Valley Trail, essentially an extension of City Park, begins near Bridge Street at the Memorial Tree Walk with the hopes of extending westward into the Clearfield area." more...
Flooding Will Keep Some Nashville Greenways Closed
TN - "Six of Nashville’s greenways remain flooded and partially closed to joggers and bicyclists." more...
Americorps Team Helps Restore Blackwater Creek Trail
VA - "...Members of an Americorps National Civilian Community Corps team are assisting the Lynchburg Parks and Recreation Department with a reroute of the Beaver Trail and installation of new “lily pad” concrete stepping stones..." more
San Fran’s Dangerous Streets
CA - "...Dangerous roads are concentrated in the northeast core of the city — downtown, South of Market and the Tenderloin — as well as major corridors and streets approaching highway entrances..." more
Hot New Thing in Dockless Electric Scooters: Docks
"Cities are desperate to tame the sidewalk chaos of the e-scooter industry. One startup offers a solar-powered parking solution." more...
- IL: Flagg Creek neighbors lament bike path plan
- TX: Organization donates bikes to students, hoping to designate bike lane for bridge
- DE: Bike Lanes Planned for Savannah Road
- OR: Protestors will stage “die-in” at ODOT headquarters today
- OR: Thieves steal seven bikes from Block Bikes in St. Johns
- CA:Body found near American River bike trail identified as 39-year-old woman
- WA: A pedestrian in Seattle wants to know why bicyclists aren't stopping at crosswalks.
- WI: Cottage Grove gets grant for Main Street bike trail
- GA: Atlanta drivers could face $100 fine for parking in bike lanes
- CAN: Cycle Toronto wants city to extend Bloor Street bike lanes
- NC: Carolina Beach opens new 1.2-mile section of Island Greenway
- IL: Divvy's proposed bike expansion
Flooding Damage Closes Trail Section
Heath, OH - "...Most of the over 4-mile-long [Blackhand Gorge] tail will remain open with access permitted from both the east and west parking areas... the flooding of the Licking River has eroded a section of bank and undercut the paved trail, making it necessary to close for visitor safety..." more...
Sandusky Looking for More Bike Share Bikes
Sandusky, OH - "Officials spoke up about possibly bringing a new two-wheeled rental program into Sandusky." more...
Funds Approved for Tredway Trail Expansion
PA - "...Supervisors awarded a $249,000 contract to A. Folino Construction of Oakmont to build the 1.5-mile extension..." more
Woman Assaulted, Beaten on Greenway
SC - "Charleston police officers are stepping up their patrols of the West Ashley Greenway after a woman on Monday evening said she was tackled to the ground and beaten by a stranger after she 'waved and smiled' at the man." more...
City will Revamp Street Where Cyclist Was Killed
San Francisco, CA - "San Francisco transportation officials are extending a section of protected bike lane on Howard Street after a bicyclist was killed last week in a collision with a truck." more...
Teen Driver Kills 3, Gets Probation
GA - "...The charges included second-degree vehicular homicide and distracted driving..." more
Many Pedestrians Getting Killed at Night
"90 percent of the increase in pedestrian deaths over the last 10 years happened at night..." more
Are Self-Driving Cars Really the Future?
"...there are plenty of reasons to believe self-driving, ride-sharing cars will never happen." more...
- NE: Pedestrian deaths spike
- WA: Bill to strengthen ‘Vulnerable User Law,’ revise road sharing rules
- TN: Construction of ‘game-changer’ MJ greenway begins
- SGP: The rise and fall of Singapore's bike-sharing industry
- CA: Stevens Creek Trail repair sheds light on safety concerns
- NY: Trial of NYC Truck Attack Suspect Put on Hold
County Considers Rules for Bike Share & Scooters
Cleveland, OH - "Cuyahoga County is proposing legislation to regulate companies that rent bicycles and scooters by the minute or hour..." more
Protected Bike Lane Coming to 22nd Street
Philadelphia, PA - "During his 2015 election bid, Mayor Jim Kenney touted a promise to build 30 miles of protected bike lanes. Four years later, Philadelphia is still nowhere near that goal. There has been some progress, however..." more
Arlington Tests the Future of Protected Bikeways
VA - "On two streets in Crystal City, Arlington is testing out new ways to separate protected bikeways from cars. If the barriers prove more effective than traditional flexposts, you may see them built elsewhere." more...
Was Tragic Bicycling Death Preventable?
San Francisco, CA - "...The Friday collision occurred less than 100 feet from a protected bike lane..." more
Man Arrested in Connection with Stevens Creek Trail Attack
CA - "The MVPD arrested an individual who beat a woman walking along a local trail..." more
- NC: City Council considers regional bike plan
- MA: Marblehead’s Complete Streets Projects
- MN: Lower Payne to be resurfaced, bike lanes added
- TN: Mt. Juliet breaks ground on new greenway
- D.C.: Is Capital Bikeshare becoming less reliable?
- UK: Beryl announced bike-share operator for Hereford
- LA: Baton Rouge bike share to begin in May
- MD: Ocean City Not Interested In Bikeshare
- CAN: City of Powell River moves to next phase for bike lanes
- NC: Could a 'road diet' on Charlotte Street delay emergency responders?
- CA: SF will remove parking along Howard Street where cyclist died
- NYC: Residents, business owners say street redesign creating more problems
- CO: Condemnation never threatened to build Animas River Trail north
- GA: ‘Complete streets’ plans move forward
- WA: Seattle traffic deaths and injuries down slightly last year
New Ohio E-Bike Law Takes Effect
Athens, OH - "A little-publicized new law in Ohio will have impacts that could change the way people ride bicycles on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway, the Ohio University campus, and around Athens city and county." more...
Cincy has 'Top-Notch' Infrastructure?
Cincinnati, OH - "In a new study by Livability, Cincinnati ranked No. 25 out of 100, and while we can't argue that Cincinnati is a great place to live, there are some questions about the infrastructure score." more...
Budget Proposal Includes $200M for Repaving Streets
Philadelphia, PA - "...Under the city's Capital Program — which is a plan for investing in Philly's physical and technological infrastructure — the mayor is looking to invest in things like streets, public facility renovations, sanitation, parks, water, and transit." more...
Traffic Enforcement in Michigan
MI - "Police in Detroit, Kalamazoo and Warren will be on the lookout next week for jaywalkers and bad drivers." more...
Woman Found Dead near American River Bike Trail
CA - "...A passerby reported to park rangers before 12:30 p.m. that they had found a body..." more
Putting Scooters in Their Place
"Lyft thinks e-scooters are overdue for a docking system of their own." more...
Dockless Bike Share Doesn't Threaten Docked Bikes
"Dockless bikes are complementing their docking elders in some cities..." more
U.S. Olympic Medalist Kelly Catlin Dies at Age 23
"...VeloNews reported that Catlin's father, Mark, said in a letter to the publication that she died on Friday night at her home in California. Her father told the publication that she died by suicide." more...
- MA: Transport plan would lower speed limits, increase fees...
- ESP: Closing Central Madrid To Cars Resulted In 9.5% Boost To Retail Spending
- OR: Advocates say it’s a perfect time to invest in ‘Safe Routes to the Slough’
- MN: Wayzata extends bike trail through downtown
- MA: Bike path linking Tiverton, Fall River in the works
- MA: Massachusetts Central Rail Trail part of renaissance
- FL: Man learns bike lane is not for scooters
- CA: ‘Road Diet’ In Mar Vista Is Causing Driver Frustration
- MO: Small Alligator Found on Greenways Trail
- LA: Brusly rolling out bike share program to promote westbank recreation
- IND: Have bike-sharing firms hit a dead end in India?
- MD: Local association aims to extend Thurmont Trolley Trail
Noblesville Begins Work on Trail Extension
IN - "...Noblesvllle will raze about 190 trees to clear a path for the mile-long, third phase of the Midland Trace Trail..." more
Berrien gets Behind Marquette Trail Project
MI - "Berrien County officials are offering their support for extending a biking and hiking trail that starts in Chicago, from the Indiana state line to New Buffalo..." more
City Leaders Call For More Protected Bike Lanes
San Francisco, CA - "City leaders are calling for more protected bicycle lanes along San Francisco's Howard Street after a female bicyclist died Friday morning in a collision with a vehicle in the city's South of Market neighborhood." more...
- NC:Gateway Trail draws praise on 10th anniversary
- CA: Council rejects appeal of Venice Boulevard Great Streets project
- NY: NYC's Dockless Bike Program Gets 3 More Months
- NH: Resident blasts Zagster bike program
Xenia-Jamestown Connector Work Begins March 11
Jamestown, OH - "Greene County Parks & Trails (GCP&T) will be closing the Xenia-Jamestown Connector between Waynesville-Jamestown Road/S. Maple Street and SR 72/Limestone Street, [in] Jamestown, beginning as early as Monday, March 11, for brush removal in preparation for full-depth restoration of the paved trail.
"Full-depth restoration paving for the Xenia-Jamestown Connector will begin in April and should be completed by May." more...
Connecting Cleveland Trails
OH - "...you can begin to see some progress on the Cleveland Lakefront Bikeway Connector, which will connect the Cleveland Foundation Centennial Trail Lake Link to the Cleveland Lakefront Bikeway at 25th Street. In the next few weeks, work will begin on the Canal Basin Park Connector..." more
Heartland Trail Brush Clean Up
Wayne County, OH - "...Ten volunteers spent several hours cleaning up fallen and cut trees on the Heartland Trail..." more
Friends of the Little Miami E-News
Miami Valley, OH - Read the latest edition
Lower Saucon OKs Class 1 E-Bikes on Rail Trail
PA - "Following Hellertown borough’s lead, Lower Saucon Township Council voted 4-1 Wednesday to allow Class 1 eBikes to be used on its section of the Saucon Rail Trail." more...
500 Bike Racks for Covington
KY - "Check our first installed bike rack. 1st of up to 500..." more
Smoother Riding on Rio Grande Trail
CO - "...Pitkin County Open Space and Trails and Roaring Fork Transportation Authority are planning to replace the decking on three pedestrian bridges in the midvalley." more...
Community Outraged After Cyclist is Killed
San Francisco, CA - "...According to witnesses, she was cycling down Howard Street when a driver of a parked vehicle opened a door. Rothstein apparently swerved to avoid the door, placing her in the path of the truck that ran her over." more...
- VA: Newly Revised Cycling Infrastructure Plan Cuts Some Proposed Trails
- MN: $2.3M in federal funds targeted at trail, roundabouts
- NH: Senate OKs trail advisory committee
- CO: Bike lanes: Which side are you on?
- CA: City Council rejects appeal of Venice Boulevard Great Streets project
- FL: Collier officials adopt plan making cyclist safety a priority
- NC: Cary, Apex, Wake leaders officially open new stretch of greenway
- NC: Bill Would Force Cyclists to Register Their Bikes
- OR: 30 ‘shared bicycle and pedestrian’ bus stations are coming
- WA: JUMP now reaches Seattle city limits, undercuts Lime by $1
Bucyrus Drops Proposed Bike Lanes
OH - "The proposed bike lanes along North Sandusky Avenue are no longer being considered..." more
Ohio Looks to Regulate Scooters
"The bill specifies that motorized scooters -- such as those run by Bird and Lime -- will be regulated at the state level." more...
Riding Thru Ohio on the NCIT
City Looks to Rezone Land for Trailhead
Columbus, IN - "...If the rezoning request is approved on final reading by the council, the parks department said its goal is to create a new trailhead on the property to connect the nearby neighborhood to the People Trail." more...
Researchers Evaluate Impact of Rail Trails
WV - "An effort to expand a multiuse rail-to-trail network throughout the Industrial Heartland is drawing on the expertise and work of faculty at the West Virginia University Health Research Center." more...
No Charges for Uber Killing Pedestrian
"Arizona prosecutors said Tuesday that they had not found evidence to charge Uber with a crime in connection with an accident in which one of its autonomous cars hit and killed a pedestrian..." more
Harley-Davidson Buys StaCyc
Milwaukee, WI - "Harley-Davidson Inc. has acquired StaCyc Inc., a producer of electric balance bikes for kids." more...
- KS: Bike Share ICT hosts ribbon-cutting ceremony at WSU
- FL: E-scooters in Tallahassee? Not right now say commissioners
- MD: Annapolis Partnership Grant Funds Bike-Friendly Sharrows
- TX: Grand jury to decide fate of bus driver after cyclist's death
- NJ: Study Suggests Newark Add More Bike Lanes
- WI: Two bike paths in eastern Dane County getting closer
- CT: Naugatuck River Greenway Trail: Tensions High at Trail Hearing
- MA: Bike path linking Tiverton, Fall River in the works
- WI: Hate speech found along Milwaukee bike path
- CA: Marin County bicycling boosts economy but locals worry about impacts
Plans to Rebuild Henderson Road in UA
Upper Arlington, OH - "The first reconstruction of Henderson Road in 54 years will take place this spring and will include new accommodations for pedestrians and cyclists." more...
Route Considered for New Bike Trail
MI - "...According to organizers with TART Trails, the planning process is part of the larger Traverse City to Charlevoix Trail project..." more
Director Misses Boat on Complete Streets
MD - "Planners in Montgomery County want to make Veirs Mill into a Complete Street, with BRT, sidewalks, a grade-separated crossing of the Matthew Henson Trail and a bikeway; but Montgomery County Council Deputy Director Glenn Orlin, in a memo to the Planning, Housing, and Economic Development Committee says that will all be too expensive and will make driving worse." more...
Will Electric Bikes Catch on in LA?
CA - "Two e-bike companies are competing in LA’s crowded scooter market." more...
Dockless Trikes and Tiny Cars
"A new class of dockless electric vehicles is poised to hit city streets. In general, they can go faster and farther than existing bikes, e-bikes and scooters." more...
Child's Body Found Near Hiking Trail
CA - "Southern California homicide detectives need help identifying a young child whose body was found partially in a duffel bag near a hiking trail on Tuesday." more...
- CA: Horrible Week for Vision Zero Casts Shadow over S.F.
- GA: panel says highway-capping ‘Stitch’ project could cost $452M
- OR: TriMet will break ground on Gideon Overcrossing this spring
- OR: New section of Springwater will come with 10 new stop signs
- WA: Family of Derek Blaylock files suit
- SC: Concerns raised about trail reconstruction
- IRE: Greenway may see extension from Clonakilty to Courtmac
- TX: Texas A&M donates over 600 ofo bikes to community
- FL: Drivers concerned about traffic in Tequesta after bike lanes added
- LA: Bicycle advocates in New Orleans push for changes to lanes after deadly crash
- AZ: Flagstaff seeks gold as a bike friendly community
- CAN: Edmonton rolls out ‘groundbreaking’ pedestrian-friendly rebuild
- CA: Breed targets bureaucracy in effort to improve SF ped safety
- NY: Slopers remember young victims on anniversary of deadly crash
- MA: New bike path through Fall River, Tiverton in the works
- IL: Channahon bike, walking path connections prove difficult to design
- D.C.: Former trolley line is close to becoming a walking and biking trail
Developer Selected for Site Next to Red Line Greenway
Philly Establishing Neighborhood Slow Zones
Philadelphia, PA - "Two Philadelphia neighborhoods in the lower Northeast will be the first to get special features that slow down traffic in an effort to reduce car crashes and improve pedestrian safety." more...
Silver Comet Trail Extension to Atlanta
AL - "In the not too distant future, Atlantans cycling down the Beltline could potentially make a wrong turn and find themselves in Alabama." more...
Driver Sentenced 7.5 Years for Hit-and-Run Killing
WA - "...When it was Susan Hayden’s turn to address [King County Superior Court Judge Laura] Inveen, she talked about the day her husband went out on his last bike ride." more...
Are Our Streets Dangerous by Design?
FL - "...Florida remains at the top of the list for most dangerous states for pedestrian travel..." more
9 Shared-Mobility Startups
"Nine upstarts pitched ideas to advance the booming shared-mobility industry Thursday in Chicago..." more
- SC: Why S.C. must enact bills that would protect pedestrians, cyclists
- OR: Congressman Blumenauer seeks to re-instate bike commuter tax break
- TX: Injuries prompt CDC investigation into e-scooters
- WI: Plans for New London area trails moving along
- VA: New grants revitalizing downtown Narrows
- CA: One size does not fit all when it comes to bike lanes
- CAN: Protected bike lanes on Dundas, King approved by council
- NYC: Queens cops launch weeklong traffic ticket blitz
- WI: 4 local communities receive funding for bike trails
- WA: Uber’s JUMP bike-share now serving all Seattle neighborhoods
- NY: Reddy Bikeshare coming to Niagara Falls
- FL: Naples bicyclist hit and killed by car while riding in bike lane
- WI: Bike Lane Ban Rejected
More Fury Over NYPD Ticket Blitzes
NYC - "...The morning after Aurilla Lawrence was run down by the still-unapprehended truck driver on Broadway near Rodney Street in Williamsburg, cyclists were again targeted by cops..." more
Cross Country Trail Will Pass Thru Iowa
Cedar Rapids, IA - " The Cedar Valley Nature Trail, which passes through Cedar Rapids, Waterloo and Cedar Falls, would be one of 12 gateway trails that would anchor a proposed 4,000-mile national bike trail..." more
Bike Share Companies Pivoting to E-Scooters
"Following ridership trends, Lime and other startups turn away from bicycles." more...
Netherlands E-Bike Sales are Strongest
NLD - "There are now more e-bikes sold in The Netherlands than non-electric bikes..." more
- FL: Community activists want transit options, not just highways
- CAN: Sidewalk Labs unveils heated sidewalks
- OR: High schooler clings to life after collision
- CAN: Committee backs more Saskatoon bike lanes and sidewalks
- CA: MV Police arrest suspect in creek trail attack
- LA: After Esplanade Avenue deaths, bicycle advocates push for protection
- CA:San Diego Sued Over Scooters On Sidewalks
- WA: Spokane to launch new 'Shared Mobility program'
- NV: Electric bikes available in downtown Las Vegas for 2 week pilot program
- CAN: Downtown Saskatoon bike lane should move over
- CAN: Transportation committee votes for $4.6M bike lane plan
- UT: Provo adds bike lanes to Bulldog Blvd
- FL: Delray Beach neighborhood fights proposed bike lanes and sidewalks
- TX: Killeen city officials say trail will be complete next year
- FL: Bridge over Sawgrass expressway could provide Everglades access
Big Response for Indiana Rec Trail Grants
Indianapolis, IN - "...42 of Indiana's 92 counties filed applications in the grant program's first round. They're seeking nearly $144 million for more than 240 potential trail miles." more...
No Liability for Michigan DOT in Cycling Deaths
MI - "...They were killed in 2016 when a 76-year-old driver hit them from behind." more...
Installing HAWK Signals for Ped Safety
AZ - "...Motorists, they stop for pedestrians who are in HAWK crossings..." more
Design Guide Helped Change U.S. Bike Infrastructure
"A movement has brought safer bicycle lanes to the United States. But it took a manual to spread them." more...
- HI: Hawaii tops the nation for rise in pedestrian fatalities
- OR: Number of pedestrian traffic deaths is decreasing in Pacific Northwest
- CAN: London's latest bike-lane battleground?
- NH: Cyclist’s family questions fatal bike-vehicle crash charges
- CT: Lime offering refunds to bike-share users in Hartford
- CAN: Kelowna bullish on bike-sharing after successful first summer
- ESP: Barcelona’s bike-share system is updated and extended
- CA: Missing girls found in woods
Group Hoping to Repair Sunken Path
Beulah, MI - "The Friends of the Betsie Valley Trail group is hedging its bets and applying for two grants to reconstruct a 1.5-mile section of the trail." more...
$60K Grant Helps to Extend Trail Network
WV - "...The New River Gorge Trail Alliance, which began planning a 500-mile network of linked existing trails, new connector trails, and lightly traveled roads in 2016, is the recipient of the grant..." more
Land Deals Mark Progress in Greenway Project
Grand Haven, MI - "Efforts are moving forward on the Grand River Greenway trail project in western Michigan with newly announced agreements to acquire additional land." more...
Driver Runs Over Cyclists
New Orleans, LA - "Suspect charged and believed to have been impaired at time speeding vehicle careered into bicycle lane." more...
Suspect Arrested for Stevens Creek Trail Attack
CA - "Mountain View police have made an arrest in a violent attack on a woman walking along the Stevens Creek Trail." more...
- AL: Miles of hiking and biking trails coming to nearby park
- CO: Construction to begin on Animas River Trail north extension
- TX: Valley bike-share plan is now a go
- AUS: Driver Gets In Trouble For Yelling at Cycling Cops
- OR: Bicycle rider struck and killed on NE Killingsworth
Man Pleads Guilty to Rapes Along Berlin Lake Trail
Ravenna, OH - "...Shawn Michael Wendling, 38, pleaded guilty to two counts of rape, two counts of kidnapping and one count of felonious assault..." more
Eminent Domain Battle for GOLTRG Trail Land
Mahoning County, OH - "...How would you like it if someone came to you and said, ‘I am taking your land and I do not care if you do not want to sell it'..." more
Volunteer Work Day on NCIT
Huron County, OH - "We had so many volunteers show up at today's workday in Collins that we ended up splitting into two separate groups..." more
Development Agreement Disses Bikes
Covington, KY - "...Former city councilman Jason Reser questioned why the proposed pathway along Amsterdam Road was reduced to five or six feet rather than the previous eight as part of an effort to accommodate cyclists..." more
Plans to Install Car Charger in Path of Future Bikeway
Seattle, WA - "Seattle is about to invest to build a public car charger directly in the path of the on-hold Broadway Bikeway extension north or Denny Way." more...
Public Lands Act would Protect & Expand MTB Trails
"Congress this week passed a package of bills increasing environmental protections and trail access on public lands..." more
Protected Bike Lane Network Should be Priority
CAN - "Imagine an inexpensive transportation technology that provides fast, door-to-door service, reduces road congestion, and requires no parking spaces..." more
- CA: Police release sketch of trail attack suspect
- CAN: 2019 Toronto Bike Share Expansion
- MO: Changes coming to Armour Boulevard after complaints
- NY: Cyclist Killed After Tanker Drives Over Her
- CO: Work on northern extension of Animas River Trail set to begin
- MA: ‘Fed up’ cyclists send letter to Uber, Lyft
- VA: I-66 toll lane bike trail layout comes into focus
- GA: GDOT set to strip ‘suicide lanes’ from part of Memorial Drive
- IRE: Close shaves at Burrishoole greenway crossing
Downed Trees Cleared from Cannonball Trail
For more news, visit the 2019 Archive.