Regional, U.S. & International News
Heritage Rail-Trail Detour
Hilliard, OH - "Construction alert for Heritage trail! There will be a temporary detour near Homestead Metro Park in effect: November 26, 2018 to May 17, 2019. Please use caution around the site, thank you!" more...
2040 Plan Includes Lakewood Bike Routes
Lakewood, OH - "The Ohio Department of Transportation recently announced its long-range Access Ohio 2040 plan, which in coordination with local jurisdictions will designate the Ohio and U.S. Bike Route network." more...
Another Downside to Bollard Use
NYC - "The agency's anti-terror bollards appear to have made the greenway un-plowable." more...
And of course, the biggest downside is that bollards can and do cause serious injury and death. Learn more.
Snow Removal Includes Bike Lanes in D.C.
D.C. - "...There's a new "non-motorized trail" work detail specifically assigned to clearing bike paths, bridge deck sidewalks and ramps compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act at intersections." more...
- NE: New bike trail extension opens in South Sioux City
- FL: $35 million bike path across the new Howard Frankland bridge
- WI: City stays dedicated to bike friendliness with new wayfinding project
- AUS: Trap proposed for Unanderra’s illegal trail riders
- NY: Police investigating suspicious death on trail in Cohoes
- WA: Build a homeless shelter, but preserve the Greenway
- WA: SDOT reaffirms plans for Eastlake bike lanes
Towpath Trail Section Closing for Hunting Season
Stark County, OH - From Stark Parks, "The [3.5-mile] Towpath Trail [section] between Riverland Ave. and the Tuscarawas County Line (Rt. 212) will be closed due to hunting on nearby private property on the following dates: Nov. 17 and 18, Nov. 22 to Dec. 2., Dec. 15 and 16, and Jan. 5 to 8, 2019."
Water on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Athens, OH - "The Hocking River water level in the City of Athens as of 7:00 am this morning, 16 November is above 15.25 feet. This means that the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway will be underwater at the dip between Stimson and the US33 underpass..." more
Bike Lanes & Routes Taking Hold in Ohio
"More and more cities in Northeast Ohio have begun to create designated bike lanes along their thoroughfares. And the Ohio Department of Transportation is working on a plan to create state and U.S. bike routes throughout the Buckeye State." more...
Park Could Blaze Quarry Trails as Regional Attraction
Columbus, OH - "Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks hasn’t broken ground yet for its 20th central Ohio park, but its project already has won an award from the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission for collaborative efforts to push it forward." more...
Trailhead Construction Underway in Vanderbilt
MI - "After years of planning, construction has finally begun on the Vanderbilt trailhead project." more...
MDOT Considers Giving Up Control of Busy Streets
Kalamazoo, MI - "...A long-awaited contract with the Michigan Department of Transportation would give the city of Kalamazoo jurisdiction over busy traffic arteries and $11.6 million to maintain them..." more
Bikes for Tykes Benefits from Abandoned Ofo Bikes
TX - "...Cox said his organization cannot sell the bikes, but would like to donate them to an organization that in return is willing to make a financial donation to Bikes for Tykes, which can then use the money to buy spare parts." more...
Protecting Trails in 2018
"...RTC worked closely alongside trail groups, advocates and friends to protect trails against threats to their well-being, generate support for their continued development and create opportunities for the transformative impact we know is made possible by these vital assets." more...
Owner of Performance Bicycle Files for Chapter 11
Chapel Hill, NC - "...The move is likely to lead to the closure of at least 40 Performance stores in the coming months; the chain currently has 104 locations." more...
- RI: Providence Planning On-Street ‘Urban Trails’
- TN: Increase in pedestrian fatalities in Mid-South
- NV: 2 jaywalkers sought in shooting death of Las Vegas motorist
- OR: Bike thieves caught on camera
- NJ: Jersey City awarded $3.5 million for pathway along Morris Canal
- IL: Yet Another Reckless Driver on the LFT Highlights Need for Guard Rails
- CA: Fire claims popular recreation spots
- NC: Clayton Riverwalk closed, greenway flooded from recent rainfall
- OR: Death of man found along greenway deemed “accidental”
- MT: Helena to decide fate of Mount Ascension bike trail
- ID: Atokad Trail project complete in South Sioux City
- TX: Expansion to Cotton Belt Trail system in Grapevine to increase connectivity
- CA: Bay Bridge bike path on west span would offer ‘breathtaking views’
- KS: New Manhattan trail officially open for use
- WA: Mayor details plans for tsunami structure, dunes trail
Major Trail Developments in Ohio
"It’s officially the Year of the Trails in Ohio, and the Buckeye State is building significant momentum on trail projects, from Cleveland to Cincinnati and beyond." more...
Bike Cleveland Geared Up For a Big November
Cleveland, OH - "...the cycling advocacy group is in the midst of a busy month with its 2018 Strategic Summit and Cranksgiving Cleveland events." more...
Friends of the Little Miami Trail E-News
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Bike Trail Booby-Trap Trio in Court
OR - "Two of the three men arrested last week for stretching string across the I-205 bike path are set to make their first appearance in court today." more...
AVs Will Never be Able to Drive in All Conditions
"...he doesn't think the industry will ever achieve the highest driving rating of being able to drive at any time of year in any weather and any condition." more...
Civilians Dress Up as Bus to Cross Bridge
RUS - "Back in 2012, the city of Vladivostok, Russia opened a shiny new bridge over the Zolotoy Rog Bay to make life easier for everyone, and then in 2015 they stopped letting people cross it on foot..." more
- GA: Regulations for scooter use, parking up for debate in Atlanta
- GA: Commissioners Have Second Thoughts About Barnett Shoals Bike Lanes
- FL: Bike trail extension connects Brooksville to Withlacoochee State Trail
- FL: St. Marks biking trail opens in Tallahassee
- SC: Possible human remains found on Murrells Inlet bike path
- CAN: Transcona Trail to receive biggest piece of Winnipeg bike infrastructure funding
- ID: Latah Trail rest stop now complete
Night Riding Policy @ John Bryan Park
Greene County, OH - "Night riding is a privilege. Ride responsibly to keep this privilege." more...
Pedal-Assist Bike-Share Arrives in Philly
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia’s bike-share service is taking a step forward on the evolutionary tree this week, with the arrival of electric-powered pedal-assist bicycles to its fleet..." more
Greenway Plan Envisions 71-Mile Network
NC - "...The county’s Greenways Master Plan Committee is out with a new version of potential trails that cross the county..." more
Uber: NYC Needs 100,000 to 200,000 E-Bikes
NYC - "...The company, which is lobbying the city to get into the bike-share business, says New Yorkers would take 1 million of their 26 million daily trips on dockless e-bikes..." more
Bike Builder Loses Home & Shop in Camp Fire
CA - "The Camp Fire that ravaged through the small town of Paradise, California burned through the shop of a former Portland bicycle builder." more...
45 New Bicycle Friendly Universities Honored
"The League of American Bicyclists is proud to announce 45 new and renewing colleges and universities with Bicycle Friendly University (BFU) status today. These colleges and universities have proved outstanding in their support of bicycling..." more
Milking Scooters for Cash
"...In Austin, officials are charging companies $100 a bike or scooter during its experimental phase, and could raise tens of thousands annually..." more
Why Americans Have Fallen Out of Love with Cars
"...congestion and the high cost of car ownership may have cooled the romance between Americans and their cars, especially for younger adults, according to a new national survey." more...
Trek, Kent and Others Look to Cambodia for Production
TWN - "Cambodia, already the biggest bicycle supplier to the EU, is making up ground in the U.S. market as well due to the recent tariffs imposed by the Trump administration." more...
Cyclists Mowed Down by Driver
TTO - "Popular Chef Joe Brown and a BP employee Joanna Banks were killed on Saturday morning when a car ploughed through a group of bicycle riders on the Beetham Highway." more...
- WA: It's time Seattle planners listen to women who walk and bike
- TX: Houston's streets are a battleground for language and policy
- VA: Alexandria set to allow dockless bikeshare and scooters
- MD: City to issue refunds to all Baltimore Bike Share members — eventually
- WA: Disabled people have serious concerns about e-scooters
- VA: Lynchburg Parks & Rec raising money to repair miles of damaged trails
- OR: Body found off Bear Creek Greenway identified
- NC: Broad River Greenway gets $100k boost
- FL: 15-year-old girl on bike struck, killed by driver
- NE: Lincoln Bike Plan aims to create connected system of bicycle lanes, trails
Great Miami River Trail Alert
Dayton, OH - From miamivalleytrails.org, "The bike/pedestrian bridge to/from Deeds Point MetroPark is closed for repairs. The Webster Street Bridge will serve as a detour around this project. Signs for the detour are posted in both directions along the Great Miami River Trail."
Amherst Bike Path Grant App Rejected
OH - "Construction of a bike path along North Main Street in Amherst has been postponed due to the rejection of a grant application submitted by the city." more...
Making Peninsula Dr Safer for Peds & Bikes
PA - "Project calls for extending Presque Isle State Park's multi-purpose trail. It would run along Peninsula Drive to the Tom Ridge Environmental Center." more...
Big Ben Coffee Opens Along Trail
IN - "...We’re just elated that we’re on the bike trail, that we can just partner with the city so we can create another good environment on this side of town..." more
For a More Walkable City, Enlist the Fire Chief
"Perhaps the most ironic day in the life of every city planner is the one on which she discovers that her greatest opponent in making her city’s streets safer is the fire chief..." more
Walmart Considering "Town Centers"
"...revamped Town Centers may include paths for running or cycling, green spaces for outdoor recreation, other retailers, and even entertainment options like bowling alleys..." more
USA Cycling Offering Free Memberships to Vets
Colorado Springs, CO - "On Monday, Nov. 11, USA Cycling said it will partner with five military support organizations to provide free memberships to veterans, active military and their families in honor of Veterans Day." more...
Putting People Before Cars in Toronto
CAN - "...The Pilot [project] just completed its first year, and the early results are looking good..." more
Are Electric Scooters the Future?
"...E-scooters, much like their non-powered siblings are about as straightforward as it gets when it comes to personal transportation devices." more...
- SC: Portions of Swamp Rabbit Trail closed due to flooding
- CAN: Cadillac Driver Plunges Through Bike Bridge
- IA: Bike trails, dog park in holding pattern for SL committee
Wasson Way Trail Phase 2
Columbus, OH - "...we have sufficient funds to build Phase 2A across I-71 to Evanston and Norwood!.." more
Township Wants Trails Group to Acquire Old Rail Bridge
Allegheny Twp., PA - " Allegheny Township officials want a regional trails organization to take over an old railway bridge spanning the Kiskiminetas River and use it connect the Tredway and Armstrong Trails." more...
Lime and Spin Sharing Data with LADOT
CA - "...The move to more openly share data related to where the scooters and bikes are ridden, routes taken, when they are used and other details reflects a growing trend where cities are requiring data sharing..." more
National Cycle Network has Many "Crap" Paths
UK - "Almost half of the network has been rated ‘poor’ in a review to be published on Monday." more...
Loyalhanna Trail Receives $500K Grant
PA - "Funding for a recreation trail that will be built over a new sanitary sewer line in Derry and Salem townships has finally fallen into place." more...
Men Arrested in Bike Path Booby Trap Caper
Portland, OR - "Portland police arrested three people suspected of setting a boobytrap on a bicycle path Friday night." more...
Solon To Chagrin Falls Trail gets $500K
Solon, OH - "The Ohio Department of Natural Resources awarded the city $500,000 to make the pathway between downtowns a reality." more...
Hockhocking Adena Bikeway Visitation Stats
Developer Hopes RV Park Will Draw Cyclists
Columbus, OH - "A new “upscale RV resort” planned for 20 acres of land behind the Columbus Hollywood Casino will feature 135 spots for campers and trailers, a central lodge and fitness center, and a vertical camping platform designed to attract thru-bikers on the Ohio to Erie Trail." more...
More Input Sought on Devola Trail
Marietta, OH - "...Another major obstacle facing the planning of the trail is how to get the path through privately owned land..." more
$1.4M Riverside Drive Project
Troy, OH - "...the project moves the bike trail from the east side of the road to the west side of the road across more than a dozen drive ways..." more
Will Self-Driving Cars “Choose” to Kill Cyclists?
"A new study sheds light on how self-driving cars will make ethical decisions on the road." more...
So Cal Fires force Evacuations
Newbury Park, CA - "Giant Bicycles USA evacuated its offices Thursday afternoon as the Hill Fire burned behind the company's headquarters in the Conejo Valley, about 50 miles northwest of Los Angeles." more...
- CAN: Horses not allowed on Cypher Systems Greenway Trail
- NJ: County Set to Give $10K Toward Righter Road Path in Roxbury
- NY: Fort Washington Pedestrian Bridge Reopens, City Says
- TN: New trails and park added to Memphis downtown riverfront
- TX: League City expanding network of hike and bike trails
- TX: Construction on 8-acre Atascocita hike, bike trails underway
- CA: Installation of green bollards signal progress in bike path
NCIT Paving in Lorain County
OH - We received word from Josh Wyrick about this Lorain County Metroparks post: "...North Coast Inland Trail will be closed from Baird Rd. to Green Rd. for paving."
The facebook post was made on Oct. 24. No word yet on whether paving was completed on this 1.3-mile trail section before the cold and snow moved into Ohio today.
Tracks Being Removed in Liberty Center
OH - "Railroad is removing old tracts thru Liberty Center... rails are up from west of grain elevators east to Pleasantview RD." more...
Complete Streets Plan for Worthington
OH - "Worthington leaders are expected to finalize a “complete-streets” plan by the end of the year, but residents likely will not notice immediate changes..." more
U.S. 41 Greenway Now Open
Evansville, IN - "...The Hi-Rail Greenway is the City's non-motorized transportation system, beginning at Riverside Drive and extending to Walnut Street." more...
Scout Installs Bike Fix-It Station
Davison, MI - "...While on vacation in Duluth, MN a few years ago, Kosiara saw something he felt would improve patrons’ experience on Davison’s existing bike trail..." more
$6M Pedestrian Overpass Opens
Commerce Twp., MI - "...The bridge, which will eventually welcome drivers to Commerce Township, connects hiking trails from Walled Lake, Commerce Township, Wixom and West Bloomfield." more...
Boland Trail Opens
South Bend, IN - "...It's two-thirds of a mile long and connects the Riverwalk Trail, as well as bike lanes on Portage Avenue." more...
Experimental Bike-Friendly Speed Bumps
Portland, Or - "...people have many mixed feelings about these. Some say their pedals strike the bump when they go through and the channels are dangerous. Others love them..." more...
Making Left Turns Safer
"Cities are getting smarter about using design tricks to prevent improve safety for a particularly dangerous maneuver: Left turns." more...
Traffic Deaths: An International Health Scourge
THA - "Eight years after her daughter was killed by a drunk driver, Nelson Mandela’s granddaughter Zoleka is pleading for the world to do better at reducing traffic deaths." more...
- LA: Friends of Lafitte Greenway working to extend the 2.6-mile linear park
- OR: Medford police find a “high-rise homeless camp”
- TX: Austin's oldest hike-and-bike trail charts new course
- VA: The biggest loser in the bike trail debate
- MN: Falls to Ranier bike trail nears completion
- ESP: Truck driver attacks cyclists with a hammer
Towpath Bridge Deck Pour
Cleveland, OH - "Another step towards the completion of stage 3 of the Towpath Trail extension project was recently made as the concrete deck of the truss bridge spanning W. 7th St. was poured! Asphalt and concrete work around the Towpath Mounds is also being completed before cold weather arrives." more...
$200K Grant to Connect Park to Bike Trail
StreetsBlog Ohio Dead in the Water
It appears that the StreetsBlog Ohio website has been dead since January 2018. Their facebook and twitter accounts are closed, but their website carcass still floats on the web... more
Gunfire Keeps Trail Closed
PA - "...Standing in Pennypack where the trail opens, the crack of gunfire can often be heard in the distance..." more
Ford to Buy Electric Scooter Startup
Dearborn, MI - "Axios is reporting, based on multiple unnamed sources, that Ford Motor Co. has agreed to buy the electric scooter startup Spin..." more
Election Results of Interest to the Bike World
Philadelphia, PA - "...There also were a number of ballot measures and propositions around the country related to cycling that were being monitored by PeopleForBikes." more...
Nails in the Bike Lane a Reoccurring Problem
Portland, OR - "...she says the problem has been going on for at least two years." more...
Lime Investing $3M in Scooter & Bike Safety
"On the heels of Lime notifying the public about needing to recall some of its scooters due to fire concerns, Lime is putting $3 million toward a new safety initiative called 'Respect the Ride'." more...
- FL: Work begins to link disconnected bike trails
- FL: Sarasota County voters OK the Legacy Trail
- TX: City Council awards bid for $2.9M Little Creek Trail project
- ID: Paving at Pocatello's Sacajawea Park complete
- NC: City working to reduce crashes at dangerous intersections in Greensboro
- GA: City Approves Green Bike Lanes After Pilot
- OR: Beaverton wants a dockless bike share system
- WA: Lid I-5 Campaign Gains Momentum
$380K Grant to Close Towpath Gap
Bolivar, OH - "The Ohio Department of Natural Resources approved nearly $7 million in Clean Ohio Trails Fund grants, including a grant for $380,625 to the Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition in support of a quarter-mile Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail connection in Bolivar." more...
Shepard Connector Construction
Columbus, OH - "...East/West 1/2 mile path length between Alum Creek Trail, Hayden Park, N. Nelson Rd, Sunbury Rd, Leonard Ave (YWCA) on former rail spur bed..." more
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Township Pursuing Bellwood to Altoona Trail
PA - "Antis Township supervisors have an option to buy a 119-acre, 2-mile swath of ground that will allow the township to realize its ambition for a hiking and biking trail..." more
Blocked Bike Lanes in D.C.
D.C. - "The District’s top transportation and public works officials are asking three of the biggest mail carriers in the country to ensure that their delivery trucks do not obstruct bike lanes after an apparent uptick in such incidents reported by residents and parking-enforcement workers..." more
- VA: Supervisors vote 3-2 to reject bike trail grant
- NY: Onondaga Lake trail could scare away bald eagles, Audubon says
- OK: Norman to be home to state's largest bike skills park
- MT: Proposed trail system could bring 39 miles of hiking, biking and horse trails
- MN: Minneapolis looking to get tougher on sidewalk snow removal
- OR: Business group says Portland needs more protected bike lanes
New '3-Feet Law' Signs Popping up
Medina County, OH - "Saw this on a Medina County backroad today. Nice to see these and the ones in the Cleveland Metroparks out there every day!" more...
Derr Road Improvements
Springfield, OH - "Some of the proposals for Derr Rd. Include bike lanes." more...
Alum Creek Drive Widening Includes Sidepath
Columbus, OH - "...Adding a ten foot wide paved side path and a concrete sidewalk as part of the 2018-2019, ~$18 mil. construction project..." more
Knox County Parks E-News
Knox County, OH - Read the latest edition.
New Bike Lanes on Rt. 116 Raise Eyebrows
Chicopee, MA - "There's confusion and controversy over the new bike lanes on Route 116 in Chicopee." more...
Retiming Traffic Signals to Boost Ped Safety
D.C. - "More than 90 traffic signals in the District will be retimed to allow pedestrians more time to cross roadways as part of Mayor Muriel Bowser’s vision zero initiative." more...
Jefferson County Open Space Allows Class 1 E-bikes on all Trails
Golden, CO - "Following a pilot program begun in February, land managers in Colorado's Jefferson County (Jeffco) Open Space have made Class 1 e-bikes permanently legal on all trails where traditional bikes are allowed — including about 180 miles of natural-surface trails." more...
Bike Organizations Oppose the AV Start Act
"Thanks to all 150 League member organizations from all 50 states, and many national partners for joining us in opposing the AV START Act..." more
- NY: Kinderhook, Samascott Orchards make minor adjustment for land purchase
- TN: Greenway extended one-third mile south to Red River
- MT: Superfund Deal Would Transform Butte's Creek Corridors Into Greenway
- GA: Greenway linear park moves closer to reality
- MO: West Meadows Trail Project Groundbreaking
- VA: Neighbors Urge Inclusion of Bike & Ped Trail Along New Long Bridge
- MN: Kiosk project passes completion date, work to be finished in February
- NH: Volunteers carve out new Broken Ground biking trails
- CO: Commissioners considering permitting e-bikes on some county trails
- TX: Fight over sidewalk turns into one-woman political protest
- MA: Bike-share programs push deeper into suburbs
Pedalpalooza Shows Off Protected Bike Path
NH - "The event... was a celebration of New Hampshire's first protected bike path..." more
Shimano Recalls Bicycle Helmets
"The bicycle helmets do not comply with the federal safety standard for bicycle helmets, posing a risk of head injury." more...
- CA: SR-56 Bike Trail Extension Working Its Way Through City Council
- AR: Rogers looks to make downtown pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly
- WA: Seattle wants to expand traffic camera tickets
ODNR Trail Grants Total Nearly $7M
OH - "...The nearly $7 million in reimbursement funding will be used in 14 counties to develop miles of new trails, trail extensions, land acquisition and bridges..." more
Stark Parks Trail News
Stark County, OH - West Branch Trail: "The trail is now open and features a new underpass as part of the recent road project. Please use caution as construction is ongoing in the area."
Mahoning Valley Trail: "The trail is closed between Rockhill Ave. and Gaskill St. because of high water from the Mahoning River flowing over the trail. A new boat launch and parking lot construction at the Price St. entrance will cause occasional restrictions and closures throughout November and December..." more
Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail Flooding
OH - From Summit Metro Parks, "Due to flooding, the Towpath Trail is closed from the Stark County line to just south of the Clinton trail head, and a half-mile from the Center Road parking lot."
Stark County Parks advisory: "Consistent rainfall will likely close the trail in low areas due to rising water in the Tuscarawas River by 11/2/2018. Water over the trail has closed the underpass at Lake Ave. in Massillon."
Grants Received for Sandusky Trail & NCIT
Sandusky, OH - "...The Ohio Department of Natural Resources announced Friday it awarded about $493,500 to Sandusky for the first phase of the Sandusky Bay Pathway. It also awarded about $217,000 to Ottawa County to extend the North Coast Inland Trail." more...
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraising Goal Met
Urbana, OH - "...With one month to go in our Honda of America Foundation Paving Challenge, we have just this week, reached our goal!" more...
Bike Fleet Helps Portland Street Medicine
OR - "...A local nonprofit that provides them with medical care now has powerful new tools that will allow them reach more people, more often: bicycles." more...
GM Enters E-Bike Market
NY - "General Motors has announced plans to sell two e-bike models next year. " more...
Cyclists Say Australia Should Rethink Strict Helmet Law
"The world’s toughest helmet law isn’t working, says Australia’s largest bike advocacy organization." more...
- MN: River-to-River Greenway keeps moving forward
- IRE: Grand Canal Greenway to get free public Wi-Fi
- GA: Woodstock OKs $24.7K for mountain bike trail work
- GA: Dunwoody developers look to Denmark for bike infrastructure inspiration
- IA: Special gift helps add to city's trail system
- CA: Adding to the Arroyo Seco bike path is slow-going
- NC: Wilmington police file additional charges against driver in fatal bicycle crash
- NH: Man known for humanitarian work dies after mountain bike crash
Flooding on Columbus Area Trails
CoGo a No-Go for Some Merchants
Upper Arlington, OH - "...Although the projects have been discussed publicly since June 2016 and various news outlets have reported on CoGo’s expansion plans, some were caught off guard when the stations were installed..." more
Trails Create "Waterfront" Property in Carmel
IN - "...The city has completed more than 200 miles of bike trails and lanes, installing approximately 30 miles within the last two years." more...
Lime Scooter Recall after Some Catch Fire
"Lime has recalled 2,000 of its electric scooters from the streets of Los Angeles, San Diego, and Lake Tahoe, the company said Wednesday..." more
- MD: New law altering city’s fire code takes effect
- OR: Road rage incident caused by unsafe cycling conditions
- WA: Missing Link design nearly complete, construction to begin this winter
- WV: Land Trust raising funds to buy Canaan tract encompassing 'Moon Rocks'
- LA: Car hits, kills, bicyclist
- NJ: Advocacy saves $12M in federal bike and pedestrian dollars
- CO: Expert Mountain Bike Trail Opens Near Red Rocks
- NC: Green River Game Lands and mountain biking trails expand
- WA: Bothell Police Department blazes the e-trail
- NC: Man charged in assault, robbery of Clayton teacher on greenway
- IRE: Irish Rail backs greenway development
Heartland Trail Construction Update
Wayne County, OH - "We recently opened 1/3 mile of paved trail north of Market Street in Marshallville to connect with the 2.4 miles that we are currently constructing from Marshallville to Forrer Road in Orrville..." To continue reading, see the Wayne County Rails-to-Trails November Newsletter.
Hit-and Run Driver Kills Homeless Woman
Philadelphia, PA - "Authorities say a driver fleeing a hit-and-run crash in Philadelphia ran over and killed a homeless woman who was lying on a mattress on a sidewalk." more...
Victims of Bike Path Terrorist Sue City
NYC - "...They were on notice since at least 2007 of the numerous vehicles that were entering the greenway..." more
Man Details Attack, Robbery on Clayton Greenway
Clayton, NC - "...Wil Smith, 40, of Clayton, posted a lengthy recap of the Oct. 24 incident on his Facebook page in which he described being targeted and attacked during a 3:30 p.m. ambush at the park..." more
Mobile Bike Service Trike
Bonner, MT - "...The Mobile Mechanic Bike is equipped with custom toolboxes, a transport area for parts and other materials, an integrated workstand and a magnetic tool holder..." more
- MD: Baltimore’s New Complete Streets Policy
- CO: Woman on sidewalk fatally struck by driver who jumped curb
- OR: https://bikeportland.org/2018/10/31/the-springwater-corridor-is-now-open-291631
- GA: Demolition Begins For Peachtree Creek Greenway In Brookhaven
- IL: New Bike Trail Opens Near 255
- CA: Bike rider fatally struck in Santa Rosa by dump truck
- AR: Bike NWA Install Protected Bike Lanes In Springdale
- WA: Tacoma bike path nearing completion
South Mountain Trolley Greenway Plans
Carlisle, PA - "...the proposed South Mountain Trolley Greenway, an 8-mile recreational trail that would shadow the historic route of the former Cumberland Valley Railroad’s Dillsburg Branch." more...
Grants Sought for Trail & Sidewalk Projects
Parkersburg, WV - "...Gov. Jim Justice announced proposed federal grants to extend the North Bend Rail Trail to Parkersburg and to pave new sidewalks in Ritchie County." more...
Scooter Fee to Pay for Bike Lanes
Indianapolis, IN - "Indianapolis wants to ride scooter fees toward better bike lanes." more...
Will Bollards Stop Another Hudson River Greenway Massacre?
NYC - "...Yet, it’s far from clear that bollards alone are a tenable solution, in much the same way that metal detectors aren’t an answer to mass shootings." more...
OB: Unfortunately, when bollard-use discussions such as this arise, there is little or no mention of the fact that bollards pose a serious hazard to trail users that can prove fatal. To learn more, see The Ongoing Trail Bollard Hazard.
Former Pro Cyclist Among Plane Crash Victims
"Andrea Manfredi, 26, was on board the Lion Air flight that crashed into the Java Sea." more...
Driver Intentionally Runs Down Cyclist
"The driver was charged with reckless driving and fined $1,000 for the assault in Melbourne, Australia." more...
- TX: Texas A&M to cut ties with bike-share company Ofo
- LA: LSU bicycle infrastructure lacking, projects in development
- CA: Jaywalker struck by a vehicle in southeast Fresno
- JPN: In latest retreat, Ofo ends service in Japan
- IL: Bike trail opens near Kutter Park
- TX: Trail Foundation receives $1.1 million gift
- NY: Albany connector trail
- TX: Police believe stabbing on walking trail was not random
- TX: Woman fatally stabbed at West Side running trail
Public Meetings on Devola to Marietta Trail
Marietta, OH - "Muskingum Township is studying corridors for the multi-use trail that will connect Devola and Marietta..." more
Improving Bike & Ped Use on Bridges
Lakewood, OH - "...We think those bridges between us and Rocky River are kind of critical points in the system for pedestrians and bicyclists to go between cities, and also access the Metroparks trail system..." more
UC Health & Red Bike Extend Partnership
Cincinnati, OH - "After four years and 390,000 rides, UC Health and Red Bike have renewed their partnership for five more years, the organizations announced today..." more
Whetstone Park in Line for Spruce Up
Columbus, OH - "...The 4.5 acres of prairie land near the Olentangy Trail, directly south of Adena Brook and Whetstone’s parking lot, will be slimmed down to a more manageable 3.5 acres, which then will receive some overdue attention..." more
Residents Getting Around by Bike
New Orleans, LA - "...The number of bicycle commuters in New Orleans has nearly doubled since 2010, according to U.S. Census data. Walking to work is up over that time period as well..." more
Replace Signals with All-Way Stops
"...In many places, stop signs are the safest solution..." more
Changes Coming to MUTCD
"...Here are some of the building blocks that designers will likely have access to when a new MUTCD is adopted..." more
Kent & Detroit Withdraw Section 201 Petition
"Kent International and Detroit Bikes have withdrawn a petition to the U.S. International Trade Commission that sought protection from complete bike imports in the form of new tariffs of up to 50 percent." more...
- VT: Burlington changes policy to embrace ‘Complete Streets’
- FL: Sidewalk vigilante can't solve safety problem in Hillsborough neighborhood
- UK: Car ads banned for encouraging dangerous driving
- NLDL: Dutch 'silly walks' crossing is a hit
- OR: Rally planned outside PBOT open house for 122nd Ave project
- WY: Moose carcass exploded near trail
- IRE: IFA lodges objection to South Kerry greenway
- IL: $180K going towards Decatur bike trail renovations
- MD: Work halted on Bacon Ridge trail
- TX: City hopeful to connect southesast Belton with hike and bike trail
- WA: Soon, East Siders will be able to bike or walk to the Tacoma Dome
E-Bikes Coming to Red Bike in Cincy
Cincinnati, OH - "...In November, Cincinnati will become one of the first six BCycle cities to test the e-bikes..." more
Bloomington Considers $10M Trails-and-Trees Project
IN - "City officials in Bloomington are considering a $10 million project that includes 1,400 street-side trees and 7 miles of recreational trails." more...
Some Cities Offer Free Bike Share Rides to Polls
"The company that runs New York's bike share — plus systems in seven other cities — will give all-day passes on Election Day." more...
The Deadly Problem with Bike Lanes
"Most cyclists know that bike lanes offer very limited physical protection. They might not know that they offer approximately zero legal protection either." more...
Electric Scooters Are Not the Enemy
"It’s official: Cyclists have been demoted to the second-most hated people on the road..." more
The 'Moral Machine' Experiment
"Let’s say someone is driving a car with two other passengers, when suddenly three pedestrians leap into a crosswalk in front of it. The driver must decide between running the pedestrians down or crashing into a concrete barrier. What would you choose?" more...
- TX: How many people are getting hurt on electric scooters in Dallas?
- CA: Cyclist killed in bike lane had right of way
- MA: Testing shared bus-bike lanes along Mount Auburn corridor
- FRA: Paris Gets to Keep Its Car Ban
- NY: Frankfort yet to sign off on trail plan
- AUS: Bike track goes to minister
Tools for Measuring Economic Impact of Cycling
Boulder, CO - "...The Economic Benefit Model Templates are free templates that aid in calculating economic benefits from tourism, events, retail sales tax, resident spending, bicycle business and health..." more
Schumer Calls out CSX for Stalling Tibbets Brook Greenway
NY - "U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer made his way to the Bronx to get the ball rolling on the long awaited Tibbets Brook Bronx Greenway..." more
- NH: Seacoast rail trail discussions resume
- VA: Cyclist killed in York County hit and run
- IRE: Concern expressed that Great Southern Greenway is ‘accident waiting to happen’
Development Boom Along the Schuylkill River
Philadelphia, PA - "..The Schuylkill River Trail expansion project is one of those projects that feels like it’s been going on for a while—but it’s making a lot of headway..." more
Sharpsburg Walking Route
Pittsburgh, PA - "The Sharpsburg Main and Canal Walking Route is the newest addition to the Triboro EcoDistrict..." more
Judge Slashes $3.2M Verdict Over Fall During Bike Ride
PA - "...Massiah-Jackson denied the city's request for a new trial in the matter, but she also reduced the verdict to the $500,000 statutory damages cap..." more
Truck Trike Stars in UPS Cargo Delivery Program
Portland, OR - "...Southeast Portland resident Bill Stites is the man behind the Truck Trike, a concept he’s been refining for about a decade..." more
Lime Bike Offering Free Rentals on Election Day
"The free 30 minute rides will be available in more than 100 cities." more...
A Place to Fence Stolen Bikes -- And Get Them Back
WI - "Knowing time was short, Andrew Haala didn’t hesitate when he realized his Trek Stashe bicycle had been snatched from his temporarily unsecured front porch..." more
- NY: New Bike Path Near Old Bethlehem Steel Opens Monday
- CA: So much for riding bike along the river
- WI: Two Rivers Raider Trail ribbon-cutting Saturday
- NC: County leads on greenways
- OR: 18 ‘High Crash’ Portland streets will get updates next year
- NYC: Bus Driver Who Killed Citi Bike Rider Sentenced To 30 Days In Jail
Construction to Close Towpath Trailhead
Akron, OH - "The Memorial Parkway Trailhead will be closed beginning November 5 through approximately December 31 due to a City of Akron CSO construction project. The restrooms will be open..." more
Plover Man Found Dead on Bike Trail
WI - "Officials are investigating the death of a man found on a bicycle trail in Stevens Point Thursday morning." more...
UPS by Cargo Bike in Seattle
WA - "111 years ago, UPS began making deliveries by foot and bike out of Seattle’s Pioneer Square. Today, the company is returning to bikes, at least for some downtown deliveries." more...
Driver Cuts Off Cyclist, Later Has Tires Slashed
Portland, OR - "Alameda resident Mark Holzmann says he was the victim of harassment, vandalism and an expletive-laced tirade following a traffic incident on Tuesday night." more...
Bicycle Coalition Fights to Keep ‘Complete Streets’
Atlanta, GA - "Advocates stress that many proposals are slated for roads in the city’s 'High Injury Network'. " more...
- WA: The uphill sprint to build a protected bike lane network in downtown Seattle
- WA: Will Seattle's Bike Share Program Ever Expand?
- OR: Portland businesses want cars kicked off transit mall
- OR: Slippery bikeway striping causes multiple crashes
- D.C.: Proposed Bike Lane Near Union Station Needs An Act Of Congress
- MN: Minnesota trail projects open possibilities for extended cruising
- CA: A New Setback For Re-Opening American River Bike Trail Near Lake Natoma
- OK: Ada plots to fight crime along urban trail
- MA: Bike path plan elicits fears and cheers in Wellfleet
- TX: North Texas cyclists put faith in developing trail system
- CAN: Thumbtacks placed on busy Vancouver Island bike path
How a Bike Path Changed a City
Memphis, TN - "How a 7-mile bike path sparked massive transformation in this southern city." more...
Road Design War in Seattle
WA - "Death threats, vandalism: Seattle hires mediator over 35th Avenue Northeast project." more...
- D.C.: Mayor Bowser unveils reset of her Vision Zero campaign
- NC: You may soon have to slow down on some Charlotte roads
- OK: City crews highlight bike lanes along Oklahoma City streetcar route
- WA: Yakima Greenway closes for levee repair
- IRE: Why is Green Party against greenway?
- NY: Old railroad line to become park and playground
- GA: New PATH trail expands access, options for Emory commuters
- MD: SHA gives update on Trolley Trail progress
- CA: Bald Eagles Return May Slow Work On Rock Slide
- NZ: 2 Great Ride cycle trails near Rotorua to get maintenance funding
Motorized Bike Rider in Critical Condition
Piqua, OH - "A Covington man reportedly suffered head trauma following an accident involving a motorized bicycle." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Infrastructure Listening Sessions Pitched
PA - "Yesterday I had the opportunity to join Representative Earl Blumenauer and others to discuss infrastructure needs in the Philadelphia area. If the Congressman gets his way, this will be the first of many roundtables in a national listening tour on infrastructure needs and ideas." more...
Skip Scooters get a Latch
CA - "...A purpose-built tool to keep scooters from tipping over on the street and blocking walkers, wheelchair users, and stroller-pushers..." more
Biking in LA a Scary Proposition
CA - "...Now — this is strictly my opinion — but, yes, biking in Los Angeles IS the worst..." more
Ghost Bike Trashed, Stolen
Portland, OR - "...Jacki Andraed-Matheny found the bike at Southeast 82nd and Luther. She doesn't know where it came from, but she knows what it means." more...
The City that Gives Free Beer for Cycling
ITA - "This is how the Italian city of Bologna is getting people to leave their cars behind." more...
- D.C.: In D.C., pedestrians must walk at their own risk
- AZ: Bicycling community peddles sustainability
- TN: Nashville public works department ignored sidewalk directive
- LA: New bike lanes are angering CBD business owners — again
- TN: City Orders Lime Scooters Off the Streets
- RI: Bird scooters are back in Providence
- CA: Dollar Creek bike trail expands towards Kings Beach
- NY: New Trail Links Grand Island to Tonawanda, Niagara Falls
- MN: Minnesota High School Cycling League All set for the final rides
Towpath Trail Section Closed Oct. 23
Downed Trees on the Little Miami Trail
SW OH - "We are aware of several trees down over the trail and are working to get things cleared from Saturdays storms." more...
Mohican Valley Trail Repaving Progress
Towpath Stage 3 Construction Progress
Cleveland, OH - "On Friday we stopped by stage three of the Towpath Trail extension and were pleased to see asphalt paving has been laid on most of the trail. The 1.9 mi segment starts north of Steelyard Commons and traces the eastern border of Tremont, ending at the intersection of Literary and University Rds." more...
Side Path Construction in Westerville
OH - "Cleveland Ave new sidepath construction in Westerville (north of I-270/Schrock Rd) - that should hopefully be soon completed..." more
Man Arrested in Burned Body Case
Upper Arlington, OH - "...During his interview, he told detectives how Simpson’s 'arm was cut off above the elbow,' — information that matched preliminary autopsy results and had not been previously made public..." more
Push for Future Westside Lakefront Greenway
Lakewood, OH - "Bike Lakewood has developed a plan to connect Edgewater Park to Huntington Reservation. The West Side Greenway will create a stress-free connection along the lakefront and to Rocky River Reservation." more...
Young Hit-and-Run Victim Given New Bike
Youngstown, OH - "First responders made a big show when arriving at 8-year-old Jenciel Filero’s home to give him a bike after his was destroyed." more...
Are Philly Streets Any Safer?
Philadelphia, PA - "The ambitious initiative is progressing — but we’ve still got a long way to go if we want to reach zero traffic deaths by 2030..." more
Class Action Lawsuit Against E-Scooters
CA - "...The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, accuses two of the largest e-scooter companies, Lime and Bird, as well as other e-scooter firms, of 'gross negligence' and 'aiding and abetting assault'..." more
Stop the Attack on Railbanking
"Railbanking is essential to preserving rail corridors for use as trails. This federal statute has allowed local trail groups from across the country to convert former railways into thriving rail-trails that boost local economies and create healthier, more vibrant communities." more...
BCA & Detroit Bikes ask for New Tariffs
D.C. - "The Section 201 duties would apply to imports from all countries, and are intended to encourage U.S. bike assembly." more...
How Calgary Resisted its Iconic Pedestrian Bridge
CAN - "The controversial Peace Bridge is now one of the most-used walking and cycling routes in Calgary. The councillor behind it reveals the project’s stormy process." more...
- NY: Buffalo May Turn Parking Craters into Neighborhoods
- OR: Scooter replacing car trips in Portland
- OR: Bloomberg gives Portland $2.5 million to fight congestion, climate change
- WA: Puyallup considers sidewalk biking ban
- NY: Critics of proposed bike bridge make last push to stop plans
- GA: Greenway reroute adds $119K to Alpharetta’s design costs
- NY: Partnership revives downtown Yonkers space with path, playground
- IRE: Former town councillor rails against plans to convert Youghal's old line to greenway
- IN: New Albany continues with plan for Ohio River Greenway
- MO: Jackson County to open first phase of Rock Island Rail Corridor trail
- ISR: Google maps introduces Jerusalem bike routes feature
- PA: Rail Trail Improvements Taking Shape
Valley Parkway Connector Trail Opens
Hamilton Beltline Path Moves Forward
Hamilton, OH - "City government and CSX Transportation have agreed on a purchase price for the former rail line that once served the Champion Paper mill, which the city plans to use to create a 2.96-mile bicycling and walking trail..." more
Related: Should Hamilton consider a glowing bike path?
Trail Bridge Work on the NCIT
Wakeman, OH - "A goal we've had for some time is smoothing out the surface of the Bruce L Chapin Bridge, and today we made significant progress on that. 13 volunteers worked most of the day removing the old joint mortar, clearing out the cracks, and pouring and troweling new mortar..." more
New Section Opens Along Jordan Creek Greenway
PA - "...Last week, local, Lehigh County and state officials celebrated the opening of a new 0.9-of-a-mile stretch of the planned 14-mile multi-use trail." more...
Scooters Reveal Urban America's Transport Crisis
"Electric scooters are fun, but nobody knows what to do with them yet." more
UK Using "Dutch Reach" to Improve Safety
UK - "The 'Dutch Reach' aims to force drivers and passengers to look out for cyclists before they leave a car." more...
- TN: Knoxville awarded $1.9 million grant for Northwest Greenway Connector
- VT: Land trust raises $1.2M for bike path extending to border
- CA: Long-Awaited Bicycle Link Between Pasadena, Downtown LA Opens
- NY: Construction of Kingston Point Rail Trail to begin
- D.C.: Lyft rolls out electric scooters in D.C.
- VA: Thief steals bike inches away from front door, is caught on camera
- MT: Hamilton to seek permission to build bike trail through town
- TX: Austin's Ann & Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail reopens following flood concerns
- FL: Consider the future when you consider the Trail
- CT: More downtown streetscape improvements planned in Brookfield
- MO: Upcoming event to give hint of possible Hodiamont trail
Possible Flooding Along Alum Creek Trail
Little Miami Trail Detour Oct. 22
Wayne County, OH - Check out the mid-month construction photo update.
MT Biking Park Booby-Trapped, Vandalized
AZ - "A trail at a recently opened park for mountain bicyclists was 'booby-trapped' with two cables affixed across a riding track at chest height in an apparent attempt to cause a fall and injuries..." more
- NC: Greenway connection planned where Maddox Ritch’s body found
- TN: Plans to extend greenway to Smokies
- MA: Northampton receives $200K grant to create new trails
- IRE: Work on Slieve Blooms Reaches Halfway Stage
- MA: Pedestrians hit the new Garrison Trail
- WI: Brookfield Rail Depot To Become Fiddleheads Coffee Shop
- OR: Portland aims to tame Sandy Blvd
- WA: Cheasty Trails and Bike Park gets environmental thumbs up
Deputy Injured on the Camp Chase Trail
Marietta Mulls River Trail, Sidewalk Measures
Funds Sought for Greenway Repaving Shortfall
Lisbon, OH - "Columbiana County commissioners appear willing to provide the county park district with $25,000 needed to cover additional costs for repaving a section a section of the Little Beaver Creek Greenway Trail." more...
E-Bikes Arrive on Columbus Streets
OH - "...A Lime spokesperson said that the new bikes were deployed starting the second week of October around the Ohio State University campus..." more
Bikeway Extension Construction Progress
Athens, OH - "Update on the Holzer to County Road 24A (South Canaan Road) extension of the bikeway, from the County Planner... The company contracted to do the work by ODOT is preparing to start grading the surface in preparation for paving. more...
Preliminary Autopsy Report on Body Found in Park
Upper Arlington, OH - "A preliminary autopsy report from the Franklin County Coroner’s Office has shed new light on what may have happened to a 23-year-old Columbus woman whose body was found in an Upper Arlington park Sunday." more...
Worst Roads in the U.S.
"...One-third of the nation’s major urban roadways – highways and major streets that are the main routes for commuters and commerce – are in poor condition..." more
Getting Drivers to Yield to Pedestrians
"A ground-breaking experiment in St. Paul, Minn., shows a shocking pattern of dangerous and aggressive behavior towards pedestrians. But also how solvable the problem is given the right attention and policies." more...
Decision on Postal Treaty Welcomed
D.C. - "...Eliminating the cheap rates would be a start, said Pat Cunnane, the CEO of Advanced Sports Enterprises, owner of the Performance Bicycle stores and the distributor ASI." more...
- GA: Sandy Springs may build trail as ‘prototype’ for citywide network
- IL: Chicago Cyclist Records Motorist Driving in Protected Bike Lane
- SD: Is it time to let e-bikes use Sioux Falls' trail system?
- OR: Police identify man found dead on Portland bike path
Cincy Crackdown on Aggressive Driving, Jaywalkers
Pleasant Ridge, OH - "...It's getting worse with social media. People are looking at their phones when they come up to the red light..." more
Foundation Grants $200M for Parks, Trails
Detroit, MI - "...The grants will fund waterfront parks in Detroit and Buffalo named in honor of Wilson as well as development of greenway trails throughout the two regions." more...
Land Being Acquired for Trail
Columbus, NC - "Polk County is getting ready to close on 300 acres of property to create a public walking/biking trail system on Little White Oak Mountain." more...
Scooter Companies Hacking the Rules
"...Although cities continue to limit scooters despite strong customer demand, startups are trying to hack the rules with workarounds -- such as direct rentals to your doorstep." more...
The Perils of Hit-and-Run in the Big Easy
New Orleans, LA - "Nicole Ducharme just wanted to get to work. Instead, she got dragged through the excruciatingly slow and unsatisfactory quagmire that is the New Orleans Police Department’s Hit-and-Run unit..." more
Turning a Car Town into a Cycling City
"Lessons from the Dutch, where the number of bikes exceeds the number of people." more...
The AV Start Act
"The Senate is planning on voting on the AV START Act before the end of the year. The League opposes the bill because it doesn’t include serious safety protections for bicyclists and pedestrians." more...
Strider Sells 2 Millionth Balance Bike
Rapid City, SD - "Company is expanding international distribution and sales through large retailers." more...
- WI: Trail Caucus Kicks Off to Connect Wisconsin
- CA: Uber and Lyft are responsible for about half of SF’s rise in traffic
- MN: Dockless Bikeshare working in the twin cities
- FL: Walk of Silence to honor those who died in traffic fatalities
- OR: Judge rules that Bend bike lane does not continue through intersection
- OR: Girl walking to class hit by driver
- UT: Plans to develop a series of mountain bike trails in the hills west of Richfield
- NY: $5.3M bike trail plan reduced in scope
- IL: Decatur Park District moves forward on Stevens Creek bike trail extension
- NJ: State neglects safety of bike path crossing in Pleasantville
- MA: Columbia Greenway Rail Trail nearing completion
- TN: Painting the greenway
Input Wanted for Richland B&O Trail Plan
Richland County, OH - "The Richland County Park District is in the process of creating a long-term, strategic plan for the B&O Trail and wants your input!
Please take our survey.
Cincy Getting E-Bikes
Cincinnati, OH - "...In early November, Cincinnati will get 10 electric-assist bicycles, part of a pilot through BCycle, the company that makes the bikes for Cincy’s Red Bike program." more...
Gravel Being Added to Kokosing Gap Trailhead
Burning Body Found in Park
Upper Arlington, OH - "Upper Arlington police on Monday identified the woman whose body was found burning Sunday near a walking trail in Burbank Park." more...
Trail Construction Blocked in Kentucky
Benham, KY - "...The delay has raised concern that the county could lose a $660,809 federal grant to develop the trail, which would involve upgrading more than five miles of an unused railroad bed..." more
City OKs People Trail Extension
Columbus, IN - "Columbus has entered into an agreement with a landscape architectural firm to design and construct an extension of the People Trail." more...
New U.S. Trails in 2018
"This summer, U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke announced 19 new National Recreation Trails in 17 states..." more
Fixing Badly Planned American Cities
"...from Jeff Speck’s Walkable City Rules, a step-by-step guide to fixing America’s cities and towns." more...
Missing Cyclist Found Alive
ESP - "When his wife hadn't heard from him for hours, she sent out an urgent tweet." more...
Bicyclists May Use Full Lane
UK - "Some motorists think roads were built for cars, and that people on bicycles are interlopers. Historically and legally, this is not the case..." more...
IMBA Looks to Shore Up Support
Reno, NV - "...IMBA’s total revenue plummeted from $6.7 million to $3.9 million between 2016 and 2017." more...
- WA: Should some streets only be for pedestrians?
- MO: Bird scooter blocking the sidewalk? There's an app for that
- NE: 13th Street road diet coming soon
- FRA: Can Paris Exist Sans Gasoline?
- GA: Pedicab ride in Savannah from new Lyft service
- NE: Trail Work Continuing in Beatrice
- OR: Police investigating suspicious death on bike trail
- OK: Council approves withdrawal of investment funds for biking trail
- TX: Austin waterways, Ann & Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail closed due to heavy rain
- IA: 10-year-old helps connect bike trails
- IN: Vanderburgh County road and trail project aims to connect city, county
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraising Nearing Goal
Urbana, OH - "...We are just $2,565 from reaching our $25,000 goal which will be matched dollar for dollar up to that amount by the Honda of America Foundation..." more
Rogue Group Riders Hogging the Road
"...I sought out an example to analyze that should resonate with those who are frustrated, disappointed or angry with group rides they encounter on the road." more...
Citi Bike Offers Group Rides
NYC - "...'It’s never been easier to ride with friends,' Citi Bike announced in a tweet on Monday." more...
SF's Scooter War is Over & the Scooters Won
San Francisco, CA - "Shared e-scooters have returned to the Bay Area. But is regulation enough to make them work in the long term?" more...
Mountain Biker Shot & Killed in France
FRA - "...another young hunter was sentenced to a year in jail for mistakenly shooting and killing a trail runner in the same region..." more
Over 5,000 Stolen Bikes Recovered thru Bike Index
"Milestones are important to us here at the Bike Index - we're suckers for nice big round numbers that define progress..." more
Remove Street Centerlines to Calm Traffic
"...Centerline removal introduces an element of uncertainty which is reflected in lower speeds..." more
- NJ: First Stage of Mohansic Trailway Completed
- NC: NC ranks among worst states for deadly car crashes
- OR: Portland tackles high-crash network, asks public for help
- UK: Banning cars in London
- OR: Cyclist has life-threatening injuries after collision on SE 82nd Ave
- WA: Bike Plan Gets Torched with Proposed Downtown Connection
- IRE: Why these Kerry farmers are opposed to a new greenway
- IL: New overpass reflects latest upgrade to ever-expanding Skokie Valley Trail
- VA: Rail trail connector construction continues
- VA: Arlington Named A 2018 Best Bike City In America
- IL: State awards $100K for mountain bike trail
Temporary Closures Along Mohican Valley Trail
Brinkhaven, OH - "...the Mohican Valley Multi-Use Trail from the Bridge of Dreams to the Holmes County Line will be closed or have periodic closures due to a parking lot renovation to provide handicap accessibility. The driveway to the Trail may also have periodic closures..." more
NCIT Progress in Huron County
Wakeman, OH - "...Next up: Volunteers want to place a connector trail between the bridge and the paved Wakeman East Bikeway.
A long-term project also just began. Group members started a dialogue with a design group to pave the path’s entire length in Huron County..." more
Volunteers Clear Area Around Heart of Ohio Trail
Mt. Liberty, OH - "...Venture Crew 382 group... cleared two large swaths around the Mt. Liberty Heart of Ohio Multi-Use Trail access area to allow for clear visibility of the children’s playground and improve safety of the area..." more
New Overseers Considered for Buffalo Valley Rail Trail
PA - "...DCNR is supportive of the plan to transfer and is working with the county on the process. The Buffalo Valley Rail Trail is a huge asset to the region..." more
Dangerous Sidewalks Causing Injuries
Indianapolis, IN - "Dangerous, uneven sidewalks are landing people in the hospital, and the city has a backlog of more than 1,600 requests all over Indianapolis." more...
Walking May Now Outweigh Transit Value
"...The emphasis these days is more on walkability than a direct rail or metro connection..." more
Milwaukee Embracing Bikes & Peds
WI - "...A pedestrian and bicycle friendly environment is great for retail and apartment development — it slows traffic down and enhances the vibrancy of the street..." more
Bicycling Magazine Is Dead Wrong About Seattle
Seattle, WA - "...The national nonprofit People For Bikes recently gave Seattle a 2.3 out of 5 for bicycle friendliness, putting 50 cities ahead of us..." more
- FL: South Florida police warn cyclists to stay in their lane
- WV: New Parkersburg-area trail designed for intermediate level bikers
- SC: New bike club wants to expand opportunities for riders
- IRE: Greenway leading to a promising future for Newcastle West
Corwin Peddler Reopens
Bicycling May Help You Avoid Parkinson's Disease
"Adding high levels of physical activity—moderate to vigorous—into your exercise routine can decrease the risk of Parkinson’s disease (PD), according to a new review of studies..." more
Hoy Calls for End to "Us vs. Them" Mentality Between Cyclists & Drivers
"...Most cyclists drive and vice versa. You have to try and put yourself in the shoes of the other person..." more
Tour De France Trophy Stolen
"...toward the end of last month, the Team Sky rider lent his trophy... to the Cycle Show, a three-day exhibition in Birmingham, U.K." more...
- ME: Franklin County builds on reputation as mountain bike destination
- WA: Ferry County Rail trail one step closer to completion
- NY: Bike trails open at McCauley Mountain Ski Area
- IRE: Council to seek funding for Tuam Greenway feasibility study
Temporary Closing for Scioto Trail Oct. 21
Columbus, OH - From centralohiogreenways.com, "Beginning Sunday, October 21, the Scioto Trail between Hocking Street and Battelle Riverfront Park will be closed from 7:00am – 8:00am [for the Columbus Marathon]."
SW OH Transportation Projects Receive Funding
Cincinnati, OH - "...southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky just received more than $40 million in federal funding, and more than three-quarters of that money will go toward enhancing the region's public transit, bicycle and pedestrian-oriented infrastructure." more...
Redeveloping an Iconic Trailside Structure
Warren County, OH - "The developers of the former Peters Cartridge Factory in Warren County received approval for a new injection of funds today." more...
Bike Lanes Spark Unnecessary Controversy
Detroit, MI - "...These new protected bike lanes have sparked no end of grumbling..." more
Can Cargo Bikes Help in a Disaster?
VA - "In an emergency response trial held here recently, bicyclists were able to transport 1,250 pounds of water and 1,100 pounds of food over difficult terrain, showing how the vehicles can be put to use when needed the most." more...
The Route for the Fort Worth to Dallas Trail
TX - "...The Regional Transportation Council this week approved the $40 million, 53-mile trail at its Thursday meeting, all but assuring the project will be open to the public by fall 2023." more...
- TX: City plots path forward on trail system
- CA: Police Search For Suspect Who Assaulted Woman On Bike Trail
- NC: Flooding forces another temporary closing of greenway
- TN: City approves greenway expansion bid
- NYC: No Funding or Timeline To Close East River Greenway Gaps
- OR: Mountain bike advocacy has taken a giant leap forward
'Book-a-Bike' Program gets a Trike
Gallipolis, OH - "...The library has had great success with the bicycle lending program. Therefore, we wanted to expand the program to meet the needs of patrons who have the need for a trike bike..." more
Pittsburgh Plans to Expand Bike Lanes
PA - "A lot has changed since Pittsburgh put out its first bike lane plan in 1999, and with new ideas for lanes throughout the city, officials are looking for your input." more...
Philly's Transportation Plan
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia released a transportation plan Wednesday that outlines the city's goals for street safety and transportation for the next seven years." more...
N. Michigan's 1st Flow Trail to Open Soon
Maple City, MI - "...The 3-mile looped trail at Palmer Woods Forest Reserve also marks a milestone as the Lower Peninsula’s first flow-style track north of Grand Rapids." more...
Setting the Rail Trail Connector Bridge
Elkins, WV - "...This two-mile section of the Elkins Rail Trail Connector project is the final piece connecting the current bike trail that runs into Parsons to its destination in downtown Elkins." more...
New Bike Trail Opens in Mountwood Park
Parkersburg, WV - "A new mountain bike trail was dedicated Thursday morning at Mountwood Park where officials hope it will complement the existing world-class paths." more...
Dallas Dreams Up a Multimodal Transportation Hub
TX - "We're talking bullet trains, DART, Amtrak, HyperLoop, and aerial taxis out of a single center." more...
LA - The Worst Bike City in America
CA - "...L.A. is letting the cars win." more...
While Seattle ranks as the best city.
- MD: Baltimore City to start final phase of downtown bike-lane construction
- D.C.: Red Line stops are dangerous for people walking and bicycling
- LA: How does the cost of New Orleans' bike share program stack up?
- OR: City installs plastic curbs to protect bikeway at I-5 freeway on-ramp
- OR: Two drivers arrested after a woman was killed while walking
- NY: City Commits $250M To Close Manhattan Greenway Gaps
- CA: Work on new bike trail is blocking eatery, Folsom business owner says
- MN: Paths are murky in search for answers on rails-to-trails land
- AR: Fayetteville to test bike safety improvements
- CO: Party on tap to celebrate Fruita's new connection
- MO: Deer Creek Greenway expansion
- OR: 7 arrested during latest Bear Creek Greenway sweep
Wadsworth Opens 'Interurban Trail'
OH - "...The city, which held a ribbon cutting for the trail and park last week, has installed a large Interurban Trail sign with a map and bike racks downtown. There also are plans for more benches and historical signs along the path..." more
Buck Creek Trail Reopens
Bicycle "Chop-Shop" Discovered in Xenia
OH - "...Police are trying to reunite more than 40 bicycles and bike frames with their owners after discovering an apparent "chop shop" at a detached garage..." more
Cannonball Trail Volunteer Honored
Montpelier, OH - "It gives the NORTA board great pleasure to honor Danielle Lee, Montpelier, with the dedication of Danielle’s Crossing, a place where she cleared and made a path in the last mile of the trail..." more
Resident Calls for Making Mt. Vernon More Bike Friendly
OH - "...He also pointed out that the bike lanes that were on Division Street and Mount Vernon Avenue when he came to town 35 years ago are gone." more...
Ann Arbor Relaunching Bike Share
MI - "Ann Arbor's bike share system is transitioning to a new operator." more...
Road Rage Incident Leaves Cyclist with Broken Neck
GA - "...The bicyclist's GoPro caught the crash on camera..." more
The Best Bike Cities in America
"...here's our ranking of the 50 cities that are doing the most to make urban riding awesome." more...
Cycling Fatalities Down 8% in 2017
D.C. - "...Experts in the bike community point out that the findings, while welcome, don't indicate a trend." more...
Is Pedal Dockless Bike Share Going Extinct?
"...cities around the country have already started switching from the heavy bikes to the Next Big Thing: pedal-assist e-bikes and e-scooters." more...
Study Finds that Cyclists are Better Drivers
UK - "...The link between cycling and safer motoring was revealed by a UK insurance firm..." more...
- TN: U of M to Get Explore Bike Share Next Fall
- OR: Portland slips to 5th in Bicycling Magazine ‘Best Bike City’ rankings
- OR: City releases $2M project list that includes cycle-track, crossbikes and more
- WA: Bicycling Magazine names Seattle the #1 bike city in the U.S.
- NY: DEC touts success of shuttle service to High Peaks trailheads
- TX: DFW trail would let you bike from Fort Worth to Dallas
- WI: Remembering a bike trail pioneer
- NC: Greensboro Downtown Greenway growing with community support
- OR: IC council to consult ODOT on bending Greenway Project
- NH: The Mascoma River Greenway In Lebanon Is Complete
- VA: Police identify pedestrian killed in crash on Route 11 in Botetourt County
- UK: Derry MLA calls on Council to repair lights on 'pitch black' Waterside greenway
Driver Cited for Trip on Olentangy Trail
Clark County Adding Location Markers to Trails
Clark County, OH - "National Trail Parks and Recreation District will be labeling the trails over the next few weeks by placing coded stickers every 1/10 of a mile on the Simon Kenton Trail, Buck Creek Trail and Little Miami Scenic Trail.
"These codes will then be put into the Clark County GIS system that is connected to the Dispatch Network. This system will make it easier for emergency services to locate trail users if needed..." more
Little Miami Group Accepting Donations for Safety Program
SW OH - "...Phase I will be painting crosswalk 'ladders' on road surfaces [along the Little Miami Scenic Trail] using reflective paint and clearing lines of sight both left and right to 45 degrees by removing brush, low limbs, and trees." more...
ToleGO! Bike Share Coming Oct. 16
Toledo, OH - "...Toledo residents and visitors will have access to 100 bikes at 17 hubs within the city, available for use 24 hours a day..." more
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Paducah Receives $100K to Connect Trails
KY - "...the Recreational Trails Program funding will help construct a pedestrian bridge over Perkins Creek." more...
Louisville Establishes Dockless Vehicle Policy
KY - "Louisville Metro Public Works has released a new policy that lays out a series of fees and rules dictating when and where dockless vehicles, including Bird scooters, can operate." more...
Lynchburg Creates GoFund Me Page for Parks & Trails
VA - "Lynchburg city is trying to scramble money with hopes to open their trails again." more...
E-Bike Fire Destroys Home
Hampstead, MD - "Maryland fire investigators say a 25-year-old man assembling a do-it-yourself e-bike caused a fire that destroyed a house." more...
Tiny Vehicles and the New Safety in Numbers
"With dockless bike share systems and electric scooters rolling into cities across America at an unprecedented rate, a holistic reduction in crashes, fatalities, and injuries should follow..." more
- BEL: Brussels car-free day saw an 80 % decrease in black carbon
- IL: Bike Lanes Blocked By Vehicles Create Chaos For Cyclists
- OR: Bend group frustrated over bike lane loss
- KS: Downtown bike-share program doubling in size
- WA: Open house for stunning Eastside Trail Wilburton segment
- IL: Another Case of Brutality Against a Bicyclist in West Town
- OK: 3rd lawsuit opposing bike trail filed against city
- MN: Minnetonka delays vote on Lone Lake Park bike trail
- TX: 12-mile off-road cycling trail opens in National Forest
- CA: Goleta Bike Path Project on Right Track
- NC: Greenway grading to start soon
- CAN: Man assaulted on Greenway in Kingsville
Blacklick Trail Underpass Remains Closed
New Trailhead along Cannonball Trail
Honda Demos "Smart" Intersection
Marysville, OH - "Honda Motor Co. has fitted a downtown Marysville intersection with cameras, computers and artificial intelligence that can warn equipped vehicles of a jaywalker around an obstructed-view corner..." more
E-Bike Bill Passes Senate
Columbus, OH - "...The bill will establish the same laws for e-bikes as non-motorized bikes and permit class 1 & 2 e-bikes on multi-use trails..." more
Learn why allowing e-bikes on multi-use trails is a bad idea.
Knox Kane Rail Trail Grand Opening Oct. 19
PA - "...a roughly 4-mile portion of the former Knox-Kane Railroad path, now ready for travelers of a different type..." more
Bike Parking at Hydrants Considered
Philadelphia, PA - "...The fire-hydrant bike corral effort will be the first of its kind, as far as anyone knows..." more
NYC Designing Safer Intersections
NYC - "89 percent of bike collisions happen at intersections. DOT’s new street-design guidelines aim to slash that statistic and save lives." more...
Managing Curb Spaces
"...After years of neglect and scorn, this strip of urban infrastructure, long the sole domain of the meter maid, has gotten incredibly crowded..." more
Sidewalk Toronto has Only One Beneficiary
CAN - "...'Smart cities' rely on IP and data to make the vast array of city sensors more functionally valuable, and when under the control of private interests, an enormous new profit pool..." more
Netherlands Proposes to Ban Phone Use on Bikes
NLD - "...It is already illegal to use a phone while driving a motor vehicle in the Netherlands..." more
Human Bollard Campaigns
"Advocating for cyclist safety through direct action." more...
- ESP: Madrid announces new rules of the road in bid to banish traffic from center
- TX: Iconic East Austin Bridge to be Repurposed
- IRE: Update on Laois Offaly Slieve Bloom mountain bike trail
- UK: New bike trail will be a ‘superb addition’ to county
- DE: New Castle County aims to connect trails, enable bike commuting
- VA: New bridge in Salem part of more work expected on Roanoke Greenway
Rail Trail Build - NE Columbus
Camp Chase Trail Extension @ Darby Creek Metro Park
Related: "New New updated restrooms available on the Camp Chase Trail and Ohio to Erie Trail in Indian Ridge area of Battelle Darby Creek Metro Park."
COMBO Building MTB Trails in Central Ohio
Columbus, OH - "...without the help of COMBO and its 300 volunteers, there would be far fewer places to ride mountain bikes throughout central Ohio." more...
The Case of the Disappearing Bike Lanes
D.C. - "...Co-chair Councilmember Charles Allen pointed out that crosswalks and bike lanes are disappearing before his eyes." more...
Lyft's "Ditch Your Car" Challenge
"The "Ditch Your Car" Challenge gives Lyft credit to commuters who stop using their car for a month." more...
- OR: PDOT continues to look at ways to reduce traffic deaths
- FL: Councilman, businesses push for traffic safety measures
- NOR: Oslo is ridding its city centre of cars
- NY: Chemical waste in ground at Lewiston park site in dispute
- AR: Bike Trail Opens at Lake Wedington State Park
- MD: Montgomery County mountain bikers are charged up about a new trail
Locator Beacon Saves Cyclist in Distress
NZL - "...The 74-year-old told the Herald this morning he was glad to be alive after his misadventure on the Timber Trail..." more
Renovo Calls it Quits
Portland, OR - "The ride for Renovo Hardwood Bicycles is over." more...
Group Plans Attraction Similar to Otago Central Rail Trail
NZL - "Plans are under way to create in Taranaki a biking destination to rival Otago's massively popular rail trail." more...
- CA: Bike Trail Named For Environmental Journalist
- AUS: Trail starts Stromlo mountain biking revival
- CAN: New master plan being developed for Quesnel mountain biking trails
- OR: New shuttle service will take you from Portland to Sandy Ridge
Little Miami Trail Sections Reopen
SW OH - "...All major construction at the Ft. Ancient and Spring Valley locations has been completed. Minor restoration work such as seeding and mulching still needs done..." more
Philly is About to get More Bike Friendly
PA - "The city just secured state funding for new protected (and permanent!) Market Street bike lanes, plus the South Street bike lane is coming soon." more...
Upland Bridges the Gap with New Trail
IN - "...This mile-long stretch of trail through Upland is part of a larger plan to bridge the Cardinal Greenway Trail’s 12-mile gap that stretches between Gaston and Gas City." more...
New Section of Canalway Trail Opens
NY - "...A new 5-mile portion of the Erie Canalway Trail connecting southern Amsterdam to Pattersonville, a hamlet of the town of Rotterdam, officially opened to the public Wednesday..." more
Greenway Attack Victim: "I'm Lucky"
TN - "A 79-year-old man stabbed on a West Knoxville greenway is talking about what happened and the outpouring of support he's received." more...
$17M for Bike & Ped Improvements in Maryland
MD - "...included in the announcement was a $250,000 grant awarded to the City of Baltimore DOT to support the development of a key segment of the Baltimore Greenway Trails Network..." more
Thieves Steal Container Full of Bikes
CAN - "Rocky Mountain Bicycles is hoping dealers can help recover 160 bikes stolen from a shipping container that was on the grounds of the company's warehouse here." more...
- MD: Bike trail gives new life to land
- OK: Councilors approve land purchase near proposed bike trail
- MD: Salisbury rail-trail project fueled by state grant
- MO: Fee Fee Greenway opens after 10-year project
- WA: Be vigilant on the Yakima Greenway
- AR: Pop-up Beer Garden Opens Along Razorback Greenway
- VA: Richmond set to re-time 300 traffic signals in downtown area
- MA: Boston’s progress towards roadway safety
- UT: Scooter impact bike share use
- WA: Lime is fighting back against Seattle’s resistance to scooters
- WI: Milwaukee okays Complete Streets Policy
- WA: 3,000 Lime users contact city asking for scooter share
Driver Cited for Getting Stuck on Bike Path
The truck has been removed and the trail has reopened.
Simon Kenton Pathfinders
Lighting the Streets for Safety
Detroit, MI - "...A new report on streetlights... shows that pedestrians deaths plummeted in the Motor City from an average of 24 per year to just one, thanks to a two-year, $185-million effort that replaced 65,000 lights in a city where 40 percent were not working in 2014." more...
Part of NYC to Canada Trail Opens
Pattersonville, NY - "A new 5-mile (8 kilometer) section of a trail that will eventually span from New York City to Canada has opened in the Mohawk Valley." more...
Will E-Bikes Increase Bike Commuting?
"It’s too early to tell if electric bicycles hold the secret to grand pronouncements such as 'the future of transportation.' But there’s definitely something interesting happening." more...
U.S. Traffic Fatalities Remain High
U.S. - "There were 37,133 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes on U.S. roadways during 2017, a 1.8-percent decrease from 37,806 people killed in 2016..." more
Fugitive Posed as Cyclist to Evade Capture
JPN - "Junya Hida, who biked hundreds of miles while on the lam, was finally captured last weekend." more...
- LA: New Orleans' bike-share program drops prices
- NC: Car plows into pedestrians on downtown Raleigh sidewalk
- CHE: Bike Infrastructure Enshrined in Swiss Constitution
- CA: L.A. Mobility Advocates Protest Lack of Progress
- GA: ‘Genius grant’ firm to design Chattahoochee greenway
- GA: Bear encounter on Big Creek Greenway a reminder to stay vigilant
- CT: Brookfield Seeks Award for Still River Greenway
- DE: Wilmington to New Castle trail open
- UK: Extra cash to boost £11.75m Glentress Forest cabin and bike trail plans
Semi Truck Stuck on Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - "Bicycle path north of Spring St. parallel to 315 is closed due to a stuck semi that struck two overhead bridges." more...
Step Taken to Link B&O Trail to Trimble Rd Path
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraiser Progress
Urbana, OH - "...Each dollar that we raise by November 30th is matched, up to $25,000... to be used for additional paving in the Spring/Summer of 2019... more
Missing Ohio Mom found Dead in Great Smoky Mountains
"...The 53-year-old had last been seen Sept. 25, when she and her daughter became separated during a hike." more...
Argument Over Scooters Leads to Shooting
Columbus, OH - "...Three teens were arguing over the availability of the scooters..." more
Knoxville Greenway Attacks
TN - "A 79-year-old grandfather targeted in a brutal attack along a West Knoxville greenway over the weekend is recovering from multiple stab wounds to his head, neck and face..." more
Related: Runner recalls finding attack victim.
Seattle's Scooter Ban
WA - "...Seattle has banned dockless scooter-sharing companies from the city’s streets, with no word on when, or if, scooters might join the city’s coterie of transportation options." more...
3-Foot Passing Law in Minnesota
MN - "Minnesota state law requires motorists to give 3 or more feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist, and the good news is a large majority of drivers obey." more...
Dockless Data is Helping Cities Map Your Movement
"Lime and other companies are gathering masses of location-based information that some cities are leveraging to improve their streets." more...
The Bird and the Bicycle
"...This article explores what it might look like if scooters, by law, became bicycles – or at least were treated as bicycles in the way that electrically-assisted bicycles are treated in many states or in the way that Maine treats roller skis as bicycles." more...
- HI: New city council proposal seeks to ban wheels on the sidewalk
- MO: KC adds temporary scooter, bike lane downtown
- OR: Portland embarks on NW Flanders Bikeway project
- SC: Stretch of Swamp Rabbit Trail closed through late November
- CA: Greenway supporters identify missing links in trail
- TN: New Portion Of Wolf River Greenway Is Now Open In Raleigh
- IRE: Could Navan-Kingscourt Greenway attract 150,000 visitors a year?
- VT: Burlington Greenway enters next phase
- NY: Amsterdam-Pattersonville bike trail opens
- WI: Memorial Drive resident objects to sidewalks and bike trail
- IL: Hard surface planned for hiking/biking trail
- OR: Six miles of state bike trail now open, John B. Yeon to Cascade Locks
New Bike Trail in Green Twp.
OH - "...The path is 10-feet wide and will eventually run to Veterans Park on Harrison Avenue..." more
Towpath Section Closing for Marathon
Brecksville, OH - "The Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail in Cuyahoga Valley National Park will be closed to the public starting at dusk on Saturday, Oct. 6 through 2 p.m. on Oct. 7 for the annual Towpath Marathon." more...
Cuyahoga River Partners Creating Water Trail
Cleveland, OH - "Fans of the Cuyahoga River want it designated an official Ohio water trail, promoting public access and increasing appreciation for the waterway." more...
Rails to Trails Path Would Start in New Albany
IN - "63-mile trail would connect five counties." more...
Murders Continue in Chicago Park
IL - "Chicago police said a masked gunman appears to be targeting people in the city's Rogers Park neighborhood at random following the second fatal shooting in the neighborhood in two days." more...
Stop Comparing Cycling & Driving Violations
"We both break the law from time to time. But it's not even close to a one-to-one exchange." more...
- OR: Islabikes to close US headquarters office and warehouse in Portland
- OR: Tualatin-Valley Hwy claimed two more lives yesterday
- OR: Man and young child hit while crossing SE 122nd at Midland Library
- IL: Supporters raise funds to help injured Chicago retailer — and her store
- IRE: The greenway that needs a red light
- GA: Gainesville council approves Limestone Greenway
- NE: Bike trail links Millard to Bellevue
- NY: Queensbury officials review plans for $5.3M bike trail
- WI: New bike trails coming to three Marathon County communities
- LA: New Baton Rouge bike paths in the works
Greenway Paving Delayed
Lisbon, OH - "The Columbiana County Park District will delay until next year repaving parts of the Little Beaver Creek Greenway Trail after the board voted to reject the sole bid received for the project." more...
Fallen Tree Closes Hockhocking Adena Bikeway Section
Scooter Numbers Rising Fast in Columbus
OH - "...Our August scooter census showed 150 on the streets. By the end of September, there were like 16,000..." more
How About a Regional Transit System for Bikes?
Detroit, MI - "...local leaders are working to create this regional transit system for two wheels." more...
$632K Grant for Mayfield Bike Trail Project
Mayfield, KY - "...The new trail will start at Kess Creek Park and connect to the fairgrounds at the other end of town..." more...
Bus Driver Found Guilty in Citi-Bike Death
NYC - "Monday’s guilty verdict against the driver of a 50,000-pound bus that struck and killed a Citi Bike rider in 2017 reawakened a raw debate about who bears more responsibility on New York City’s crowded streets..." more
Trail Closed Due to Safety Concerns after Murder
Ames, IA - "...The trail clean up comes after Ames residents expressed concerns over Celia’s alleged killer Collin Richards, who was homeless and living near the trail." more...
Capital Bikeshare E-Bikes are a Big Hit
D.C. - "Earlier this month, Capital Bikeshare debuted the newest additions to their fleet: 80 pedal-assist electric bikes (known as e-bikes)." more...
The Link Between Transport & Public Health
"...Communities across the United States are starting to make the connection between physical activity and land use and transportation options..." more
Children Required to Have License Plates on Their Bikes
London - "Children have been told they will be banned from cycling to their south London school if they do not put number plates on their bikes." more...
- MN: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Polk and Norman Counties
- WA: Study pinpoints most dangerous Seattle Intersections
- MA: More e-bikes available in Boston-area bike shares
- TN: Bike Share Expands to Mud Island
- CA: Speed up safety improvements for bicyclists, peds
- AUS: Tasmania accused of blocking land transfer for bike trail expansion
- CA: Corridor study: Where to spend millions to improve transportation
- MD: Annapolis bike lane experiment ends two weeks early
- CA: Paving the way for the El Dorado Trail
- VA: Popular Greenway bridge closed after being damaged during flooding
- TN: KPD: Greenway still safe despite bloody attack
Heartland Trail Construction
Wayne County, OH - "Construction of the 2.4 mile stretch of trail between Forrer Road and Marshallville will continue through October and possibly into November... ...Wayne County is the missing link to having the entire OTET [Ohio-to-Erie Trail] on trails with fewer or no roads at all." more...
Wayne County Rails-to-Trails E-News
Wayne County, OH - Read the October edition.
For more news, visit the 2018 Archive.